• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

scillys (1 Viewer)

Nearly fell off my chair when I saw the prices, £25 short of a grand for a week!

Personally I would hire a pager / CB if you haven't already got access to one, get a good map and B+B it for the week. Birders on Scilly are a friendly bunch and am sure someone will befriend you during the course of the week if you are going by yourself.

Agree. I did it on my own two years ago and it was great.

There is also the advantage that you can choose what you want to do. If you want to see a certain bird, you do not need the rest of the group to want to see it. Equally, if you fancy looking for your own birds then you can.

You don't need to go on an 'organised' birding trip to go to the Scillies. There are enough birders present with plenty of ways of getting to know about anything rare, you can pick up a Radio at the Birdlog in the evening, hire a pager from RBA and the Birdlog and much more enjoyable walking and birding the island at your own pace.

The general impression I get from the Birdfinders group I see each year on Scilly is that they are group of people who want to be lead around from one tea room to the next with a few rare birds pointed out to them.

Get a B&B and do it yourself.

Hi Pete

I've been on a couple of Birdfinders trips - Finland for the Owls (as you "need" a guide to see them all, especially in a short timeframe, a long weekend), and Israel this autumn (as a friend was also going, and didn't want to self-guide, and I quite fancied a lazy trip without the need for driving!). They were both really good trips, well-organised, with excellent leaders. I'm also going with them to the Urals in June, as the exploratory nature of the trip appealed, and as I have no time to organise something like that myself, nor a desire to go on my own. However, to be honest I'd never contemplate a trip to Scilly with an organised tour; it has a place for certain punters of course, but you can go there on your own and never "be alone" (whether or not that's a good thing I'm not entirely sure). There's also no need to worry about feeling like a novice surrounded by experts; there were plenty of beginners around every time I went there! You're unlikely to miss out on news of a rare bird, as if you are anywhere near the town when a rarity turns up, you'll hear the stampede....

Hi all,
Thanks for all your advice. I haven't been to scilly before because lack of funds really and although having vein briding for some years now I have always thought there is so much to see in hampshire and dorset (which there is). And it wasn't until about 4 years ago when I went on my first big twitch I thought bugger this! (Excuse the language) I want to see more rare birds.

Hi all,
Thanks for all your advice. I haven't been to scilly before because lack of funds really and although having vein briding for some years now I have always thought there is so much to see in hampshire and dorset (which there is). And it wasn't until about 4 years ago when I went on my first big twitch I thought bugger this! (Excuse the language) I want to see more rare birds.

If cost is an issue then I am sure if you book now you could get B&B for £30-35 per night. With flights and say £15 per night on food that's still only around £500 for the week.

Last edited:
Going to the Scillies on your own will certainly be cheaper than going on an organsised trip where you will probably be paying for more expensive accommodation and the 'guides'. There are enough places to stay and choose from and there are plenty of birders and ways to info, as previously mentioned. The Birdfinders party will use those same tools to get the same information and then take you to the bird, possibly not right away as they will be trying to cater for the whole group.

If you do go on your own B&B's are around the £40 per night mark, you can get a full listing from the IoS tourist office. The Skybus os £160 return with parking £6 per day, the Scillonian is cheaper but you may need to have a strong stomach for the near two and half hours sailing, Skybus flight is only 15minutes.

If you know of others who want to go getting a holiday flat for a week will share the costs, this is what I do each year with friends so a week in a flat will cost about £80.

Birds aside it is a fantastic place to visit

www.birdersplayground.co.uk

new forest birder - are you in a bird group/club - maybe others fancy the trip and costs could be shared.
wrt Birdfinders - Vaughan is a really nice bloke and he will have a party meandering around with him, he always does, but I wouldn't go to Scilly with him because it's so easy to do on your own.

The key thing is to get there and relax and enjoy the trip.

I've been there every year now since '91 and although things have changed there are plenty of people who will stop and have a chat to find out what's about or to point you in the direction of a scarce bird (that might not appear on the pager).

RBA have a table in the Scillonian Club and rent pagers by the week.

The Pilot's Gig Restaurant has a bird sightings board (others are available) and it is generally up to date.

There is a log called in the Scillonian Club at 9pm each night - great for getting info about where to head to in the morning and for meeting like minded birders (or of course avoiding them !!!). It's also the place where early boats (8am to Bryher, for example gives a 2 hour advantage over the standard boat) are announced. Photographs, reports, and various other bits n bobs for sale too.

In the word of the Nike ad "Just Do It"

Thanks everyone, I know I have some to go before the scilly season but I'm just trying to get a heads up about stuff. The people in my group are not terribly keen so I would think I will probably be heading out on my own.

There is the 'companions wanted for birding trips' section on here too.

Agree it's a cracking place, and easy enough not to need to join an expensive group. If feeling particularly hardy, there's also the campsite (!)

new forest birder, don't leave it too late as I don't recall seeing too many Vacancies signs in B&B windows.

The campsite is okay but in October it has the potential of being a bit grim if the weather is not good. You'll have to do the Sicklonian to get your camping gear across as Skybus luggage allowance probably wont stretch to it.

You should consider going on the boat regardless - another seawatch opportunity, although I appreciate maximising time on the islands would possibly be most people's optimim option.

wrt camping, never done it myself (although might have kipped in one of the hides), have friends who've camped though. Pleasant weather for camping is however unlikely to be good weather for rares unfortunately - but then I'm sure it would be worthwhile. Bad weather AND no birds would just be unlucky ...

In my early Scilly days, a group of us would take over Greystones, which is between the playing fields and the campsite. It was cheap and cheerful (self-catering) but at least we had a roof, and a hot shower without having to traipse across a muddy field. Happy days....

Edit - and endorse Dan's Scillonian comment, well worth the experience; in later years we went by plane but mainly due to cost and parking.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back