• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GW Egret kills shrike (1 Viewer)

Ah soz, keep clicking 'next'!! Should've linked to the species itself, not 'latest contributions'.....sorted now ;)

Shrike looks more like a Bay-backed too on closer scrutiny

I wonder what the complete list of GW Egret kill victims is.....? Wouldn't've expected this one that's for sure: http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=2&Bird_ID=1110&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

Adam, egrets and herons will take any unwary small passerine. The most successful I've seen was a Snowy Egret gobbling up tired migrants at Fort Jefferson - any passerine perched within reach of the egret on the ground was vulnerable! Also in Florida, Reddish Egret snaffled an Amerca Coot chick...

Little Egrets in Central Europe are also opportunistic in taking chicks or small birds, but not as much as White Storks.
MJB

Yeah I've seen a Grey Heron kill a Water Rail, Cattle Egrets swiping passerines on the Keys...it was more the hunter becoming the hunted....would've expected a shrike to be a bit more savvy ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back