• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

H: re Hobbies, I've been to my usual Hobby location and saw one. Also saw a few at Dunge last week and there were a reported 25 there one day last week so THEY ARE ON THEIR WAY!:king:

Hmmm, they seem to have missed me, as they do most springs:C

Still, the good news is that despite the chilly nights (and days), the first of the Marsh Warblers is back on the territory just 100m from the house. I've been straining my ears for 2 days trying to hear him singing, but he's not at full volume it seems, plus another species is singing much closer - and louder:

75 Garden Warbler

A typical date for the latter, the Marsh Warbler is my earliest ever here, by three days.

I'd just set out to look for Hobbies when a bop passed by overhead going south.....

RED KITE !

Aj

A just once a year sight here - so a great garden year tick.

(See Your Birding Day)

They might just increase their frequency in the near future H, like you my average has been one per annum over the last few years...this year there have been 3 so far!

56. Green Woodpecker
It was a very nice surprise to see one feeding on the back lawn with three Great Spotted Woodpeckers this afternoon. This is the first record of the species actually in the garden after two fly-over birds. It's a bit worrying that I haven't heard a Cuckoo yet, hopefully it's only a matter of time before I do. The Hobbies should also be back soon!

I have never seen your Nightingale (we call it Southern Nightingale). Actually I don't have a dozens and dozens sightings from our Nightingale nether. I don´t see it, even every year (also this year I have not seen yet), but I hear it quite often - this morning too.

House sparrow is regressed species - in whole Europe I think - but I see it allmost every year in my garden (usually only couple of times). Presumably Tree Sparrow is more agressive and they have driven HS's at corner.

I was little surprised that Caspian Terns are so rare in UK. They´re range is quite odd. They seem to be missing large areas, but have spread to all continents, however.

One newbie on yard:

#43. Common Swift - now it is officially summer! B :) Also +20 Celsius and sun shining...

30 to 40 black kites seen from my garden now , they are circling above the village, woods ,fields and some above my head!. Great to see so many together.

Last edited:
40 Common Buzzard . seen several times including yesterday ,had forgotten to add this bird to my list weeks ago!

41 Goshawk . Seen over couple of days this week trying hard to take young from magpies nest high up in a big old tree just over other side of my hedge. I wasnt sure at first of species but the next day could definitely see was a goshawk, thanks for your advice Richard P.

41 Goshawk . Seen over couple of days this week trying hard to take young from magpies nest high up in a big old tree just over other side of my hedge. I wasnt sure at first of species but the next day could definitely see was a goshawk, thanks for your advice Richard P.

Been conspicuous by their absence this Spring! Sadly just the one Juv. bird through...although I got my 4th Hobby this am!

End of the run migrants arriving, only a few regulars left to go now... today's haul including two female Montagu's Harriers together, along with a Hobby. Also a very smart Red-backed Shrike.

111. Montagu's Harrier
109. Icterine Warbler
110. Spotted Flycatcher

Moose by the cabin again.

An ex-colleague managed to sneak some some C**bury's Cream Eggs past the Swiss Chocolate Alert Customs at Geneva the other day, and very kindly gave me A DOZEN :t: So, after getting a bit hot weeding in the garden (at last, it's warm!), I treated myself to a coffee and a naughty egg. To make it a triple pleasure I scored two Garden List year birds within one minute:

76 Common Swift
77 Hobby

(still not been able to hear Marsh Warbler song from here, despite a second male arriving nearby - as well as the previously-mentioned Garden Warbler belting out his song, a herd of cows have been joining in the fun, all wearing bells of course (it is the Alps after all!)).

Surprise today - after recording my first ever Moorhen last autumn, one or possibly two were calling in a series of reed/rush patches today in the flood forest. Hopefully breeding!

111. Moorhen.

Young black redstarts

Seeing male and female black redstarts now with three young. They are very close to the house and today active on a piece of trellis (only fixed there yesterday) or on a raised box or washing line or on top of parasol or in wood abri!
My photos are never much good of birds!

Attachments

• 30 may 2015 018.JPG
    30 may 2015 018.JPG
    527.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 30 may 2015 009.JPG
    30 may 2015 009.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 40
  • 30 may 2015 005.JPG
    30 may 2015 005.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back