• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 20: in stamps (1 Viewer)

I am embarking on a project to bring awareness to birds in need and specifically Audobons' list of 20 Common Birds in Decline. Normally I work in fiber, using thickened dyes on cloth to paint my images. This, as you might imagine is a lengthier process than making stamps, which I am showing you here.
This is an Evening Grosbeak, the image is 2.5"x3.5". So far I have 7 of the 20 complete in this style. I will upload each as I am able. I hope to print a few limited editions by hand and get a set printed for mass sale and will give some of the profits to the organizations that are working to reverse the downward slide of the birds environment.

Attachments

• Evening Grosbeak.jpg
    Evening Grosbeak.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 63
I am embarking on a project to bring awareness to birds in need and specifically Audobons' list of 20 Common Birds in Decline. Normally I work in fiber, using thickened dyes on cloth to paint my images. This, as you might imagine is a lengthier process than making stamps, which I am showing you here.
This is an Evening Grosbeak, the image is 2.5"x3.5". So far I have 7 of the 20 complete in this style. I will upload each as I am able. I hope to print a few limited editions by hand and get a set printed for mass sale and will give some of the profits to the organizations that are working to reverse the downward slide of the birds environment.

Hi there, welcome first of all, nice to have you on board. A wonderful idea for yur project and I wish you every success. The stamp image of Evening Grosbeak is wonderful, a strong graphic image that packs a lot of punch visually. So post images of your work as you go along, would be most interested in seeing them and following the project..

Welcome aboard Melly and very good luck with the project. I agree with Alan - a strong and striking image for your first post - look forward to the next.

Welcome to the best bit of BF Melly.

Great to see different approaches on here, I love the fabric work on your site too. Best of luck with the rest of the 20.

Mike

Northern Pintail

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Today I worked on the first in The 20 fiber version of the Evening Grosbeak, I didn't get as far as I would like, so in the meantime I give you the Northern Pintail, again in stamp form. These stamps are made of a really humble craft material called Fun Foam. This is serious art, so I am using serious materials.|<| It sure is fun to finish something quickly and to like the image too!

Attachments

• NPintail.jpg
    NPintail.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 40
I really like this one, not often we see birds depicted at night...would never have though of fun foam for this, it has a def woodcut look that is very well done. What are you using for the base and what media are you printing with, and can you do mutiples with this process?

Last edited:
Northern Pintail

I really like this one, not often we see birds depicted at night...would never have though of fun foam for this, it has a def woodcut look that is very well done. What are you using for the base and what media are you printing with, and can you do mutiples with this process?

I am printing on watercolor paper and right now I am using stamp pads to print with. When I start printing the limited edition set I will use inks, haven't decided what type yet. Yes, you can print multiples. I don't know the limits yet Some of the smallest parts may not last as long, we will see.

The 20: Eastern Meadowlark

I have completed the Eastern Meadowlark. This is a studio sort of shot and shows one of the pieces used to print the bird in the right hand side of the image.
Enjoy.

Attachments

• E_Meadowlark.jpg
    E_Meadowlark.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 40
A bold and surprising take on one of my old favorites. I used to wake up to them calling when I lived in Kentucky, and sad to say I don't think that I've seen more than one every 5 years since then.

yes I'd like a closer view too. Looks like you are doing a wood cut style with each color being a different block....how are you registering the blocks to print. ??

mmmm, I really like all this, maybe I should find some suitable inks and have a go myself - I tried similar stuff last year with watered-down acrylic and the offcuts of our kitchen floor - what a mess I made! Love these designs.

Greater Scaup

I will photograph the Eastern Meadowlark to give a closer view. Perhaps even print it up a bit better.
In the meantime, here is a Greater Scaup. I loved creating this piece because it taught me a few things about the creation the the stamps (like the wing flair on the right wing-as you look at the image---the flair or blur happens on the sky or back ground of the stamp). I like this image a lot but I think the blur of the wings could be a little better.

Attachments

• MTesta_GreaterScaup.jpg
    MTesta_GreaterScaup.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 33
I like the colors on this, but think the composition is not as good as it could be, esp the head crowding the top...the blurred wing is almost there, maybe be a bit bolder. you get more movement with a stronger diagonal

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back