• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Sony a6000. (1 Viewer)

I did some tests with digiscopy solutions and the TMB combo works fine with the 16-50mm zoom and the auto focus work well until 40mm - over that I must pass to manual focus but it's easy and fast using Fn fast menu. Noticed one detail: - some times the a6000 goes high on ISO without really needing and detail goes a bit away. See the example enclosed - the result was better with less zooming (more cropping) since the ISO stayed much lower. Both hand-held - I have to find an adapter to my solutions...
Remote shooting is possible using wireless and a smart mobile phone application - still have to manage to install the new version that allows also video recording...
Digital zooming is possible with the 16-50 zoom commands. It's also possible using other lens configuring a button for it - I have the C1 for that...;)
With the TMB combo and also with the Optolyth 100 is possible to digiscopy at 90x using the 50mm position, resulting on an equivalent 6750mm...:eek!:
On the Optolyth the autofocus works well at the 50mm zoom position!

Attachments

• Ardea_purpurea_50mm.JPG
    Ardea_purpurea_50mm.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 366
  • Ardea_purpurea_TMB92combo_24mm_ISO160.JPG
    Ardea_purpurea_TMB92combo_24mm_ISO160.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 535
  • Ardea_purpurea_TMB92combo_34mm_ISO2500.JPG
    Ardea_purpurea_TMB92combo_34mm_ISO2500.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 450
Sony A6000 + 127 Mak

Hi,

I recently purchased a Sony A6000 after reading your comments about it for digiscoping. Yesterday I used the camera for the first time, attached to a catadioptric telescope with no eyepiece. The employed telescope was a 5" (127 mm) Maksutov-Cassegrain with a 1500 mm focal lenght (f/11.8), which produces strong vignetting with a full-frame camera, but a fully illuminated field with the APS-C sensor of the A6000. This EVIL camera seems really nice for digiscoping, although I had to fight with it because I didn't know how to congifure the time for the focus magnifier. A lacking depth of field is the main issue when we use an astro telescope as photo lens, therefore fine focusing is critical -- it was a hard task for me due to the 2 seconds default time of magnified view!

Here is a full size photo: couple of mallards with 127 Mak + Sony A6000.

Regards,

Leo

Attachments

• gallineta-mak127-DSC00007.jpg
    gallineta-mak127-DSC00007.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 473
  • calamon-mak127-DSC00074.jpg
    calamon-mak127-DSC00074.jpg
    899.3 KB · Views: 473
  • cormoran-mak127-DSC00213.jpg
    cormoran-mak127-DSC00213.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 532
Hi Leo,

To configure the time for the focus magnifier; "Menu" to "Custom Settings" (The "gear" icon) to page 1 to "Focus Magnif. Time" press the "ok" button to open your choices and choose from 2 sec, 5 sec or no limit. I keep mine on no limit.

Hope it helps!

Kimmie

My traditional late winter photo season was bad so didn't took many photos.
In April I was in Finland and could take some photos. Besides the ones I took with a X95 (I posted a couple at http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=274270&page=2 I mention here again that the a6000 with the compact standard zoom works very well, with no vignetting over about 25mm), I enclose another pair that I did with the Optolyth 100 with a Pentax XW20, both hand-held...
For video, the digital zoom works well until 2x. Over that it starts to pixelate at full resolution.
For digiscopy and also for video, the VPR-1 remote release cable, that Gary mentioned, is a must have...:t: Expensive but excellent.
Now I must decide with what telescope I will digiscope more, in order I purchase the correct adapter...

Attachments

• Branta_canadensis_wing_net.JPG
    Branta_canadensis_wing_net.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 326
  • Branta_canadensis_Optolyth100_XW20.JPG
    Branta_canadensis_Optolyth100_XW20.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 415
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back