• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7d2 GPS (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
Had a problem with my 7d2 which has been resolved but in trying to sort it I reset the camera. My camera is now running fine except that the batttery drain appears to be more than it was. I thought the GPS might be set on as default. I am not sure whether it is on. The back screen shows 'GPS disable'. Does that mean I need to select that to turn it off or is it off. If it said 'GPS disabled' then I would take it as off. I have other kit (not photographic) which may show that 'X enable' means that X is off because the enable option is showing and that needs to be clicked to set X on. Confusing? Can someone put me right please? Thanks.

As you were everyone. I needed to turn my brain cell on and also go to Specsavers. Sorted. Noticed the flashing GPS symbol in the top screen when on! Doh!

As you were everyone. I needed to turn my brain cell on and also go to Specsavers. Sorted. Noticed the flashing GPS symbol in the top screen when on! Doh!

Doesn't that mean that whilst it's "ON", it hasn't acquired the satellite signals? I think it stops blinking after successful acquisition. I gave up on mine two days ago - even after taking it outside for a period. Previously it's acquired its satellite signals quite quickly.

I think you are correct. Mine has been flashing for a few minutes now in a spot where my dedicated GPS acquires satellites in a few seconds. I am not fussed because I don't want to use the GPS and wanted to make sure it was off.

...I gave up on mine two days ago - even after taking it outside for a period. Previously it's acquired its satellite signals quite quickly.

I've given it another go - this time with a fully charged battery, and it acquired its GPS fix much more quickly. (In both cases my Garmin GPSMap had no trouble.)

How on earth do they make satellite trackers light enough to be carried by birds?!

Now that I have got the GPS definitely off, my battery drain is fine.

Don't know about the birds but such kit can be very accurate. I was observing some waterfowl, with such kit attached, early last year for behaviour information. I noted a bird move to a small area about 5m by 10m which it hadn't been going into before. A colleague, one hundred miles away was watching the track of this bird on a computer and noted this happen on their screen. Very impressive kit and very good data obtained.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back