• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony NEX5 for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

I picked up the zoom for my Sony Nex 5 today as the 16/2.8 P lens is
a bit wide for some applications and I was hoping it be ok for
digiscoping.
Unfortunately it is a bit too recessed for digiscoping with a
conventional eyepiece ( 17 - 20 mm of ER ) , even on a Balance Bar,
so I tried it with the Kowa 25x LER eyepiece. Good results from 27
mm ( manageable vignetting) to 48 mm ( no vignetting ). This gives a
range of 675 - 1200 mm with Auto Focus on a Balance Bar. This is a
good range for garden digiscoping. It does seem to be internally
focusing but I haven't tried it with a conventional adapter yet .
I will test it out in the field tomorrow.
Neil

Hong Kong,
China.
Oct 2010

Attachments

• Sony Nex5 zm lens kowa 25x comp.jpg
    Sony Nex5 zm lens kowa 25x comp.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 336
Neil, thank you for the info and experience also with this camera.
It potentially interests me but as I never found a store with one with battery I ask if you can help me with some questions, that might be similar to the new Sony SLT A55. As I'm also interested in using it also in astro-telescopes, as well as with the Nikon FSA-L2, I ask you if this camera work with lens without chip for measuring light - don't know if you have old lens without it or you could test it with the Swaro DSLR adapter.
If it works how easy is to change ISO in the Shutter Priority or Manual Positions?
Also I suppose that the autoISO don't work with these lens, right?
How is your experience with the 7fps option?

Thanks.
David,
Sorry I missed this question.
I haven't tested with older lenses as I only have a Nikon to Sony adapter and am using Nikon AF lenses ( although only in MF mode ). I'll test the TLS adapter tomorrow.
The 7 fps is fast but you only get one burst before the camera has to process these 7 images. There is no Exposure adjustments during this.
Neil.

Neil, have the firmware upgrades made an improvement in the camera's handling for digiscoping?

Hi Neil. The vignetting was far worse than what you experienced. I was really surprised as the 20mm pancake on the Panasonic Gs gave a brilliant image when held up against the Leica 25-50 eyepiece and I expected something similar from the Sony 16mm.
The 16mm NEX5 combo is a 24mm (35mm eqiv) and the 20mm on 4/3rd's is a 40mm so that is why there is more vignetting using a WA lens compared to a normal 40mm FOV. The NEX 5 has a larger sensor than the Canon 7D DSLR and much larger than the 4/3rd's sensors.

Last edited:
Neil, have the firmware upgrades made an improvement in the camera's handling for digiscoping?

I've upgraded the firmware. It looks like it's mainly about accessing menus faster by programming function buttons. I'll try it out tomorrow.
Neil.

I shot with the Nikon 24/2.8D and 35/2.0D lens today on the Sony. Both lenses do a good job.
Neil

Sony NEX-5 plus Nikon 35/2.0D lens and Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw30x eyepiece and Balance Bar

Hong Kong,
China.
Nov 2010

Attachments

• bf spoonbill nex5 nik_DSC8938.jpg
    bf spoonbill nex5 nik_DSC8938.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 322
  • bw stilt nex5 nik_DSC8607.jpg
    bw stilt nex5 nik_DSC8607.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 368
  • grey heron nex5 nik35_DSC8677.jpg
    grey heron nex5 nik35_DSC8677.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 298
Glad you're getting great results Neil.

Will be moving to the A55 soon - not sure how it'd deal with 'scoping, but the improved AF should help with the 200-500mm.

Carl

I was forced to use iso 1600 today as the light levels dropped after 4.00 pm when the sun went over the hill. This was the time that the robin and the flycatcher decided to come to the water. Even so light levels meant shutter speeds around 1/20th second.
Neil

Sony NEX-5 plus Voigtlander 35/2.5 and Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw20x eyepiece and UCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
Nov 2010

Attachments

• mugimaki flycatcher 1st winter nex5 v35mm_DSC9037.jpg
    mugimaki flycatcher 1st winter nex5 v35mm_DSC9037.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 537
  • rufous tailed robin nex5 v35mm iso1600_DSC9139.jpg
    rufous tailed robin nex5 v35mm iso1600_DSC9139.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 434
I got the nex-5. Great little camera. tried today using a Rokkor lens (28mm f2.8). ISO 800 1/80 sec. Hopefully will get a bird soon to share. this pic is @f4.

Attachments

• nex2.jpg
    nex2.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 560
I'm off tomorrow. Planning on taking pics in am. will post some more (also have a rokkor 40mm f2 that gives no vignetting at all with my pentax XW20)

ISO 1600, F5.6 1/80sec, using burst mode (have to be carefull or i will fill the card in 5 minutes!!).
Nex-5, Rokkor 28mm f2.8, pentax Xw20, Pentax PF80A.
Uncropped, distance~20 meters.

Attachments

• nex3.jpg
    nex3.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 567
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back