• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7d Auto-power off question (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Just an add-on to the problem with my 7D which continues to 'go to sleep/freeze after a short time.

In the functions/menu is "auto-power off" which was (factory) set to 1 minute. Can anyone tell me
If this is correct ?
Is your 7D also set to 1 minute? If not what is/should it be set to ?
Is this just a 7D setting? (never noticed it on the 40D which I no longer have
so cannot check)

Thanks

Just an add-on to the problem with my 7D which continues to 'go to sleep/freeze after a short time.

In the functions/menu is "auto-power off" which was (factory) set to 1 minute. Can anyone tell me
If this is correct ?
Is your 7D also set to 1 minute? If not what is/should it be set to ?
Is this just a 7D setting? (never noticed it on the 40D which I no longer have
so cannot check)

Thanks
Not sure if 1 minute is the factory set option but I think it could be. You can set it to whatever you like, there is no right or wrong setting. If you set it to say, 1 minute, all it means is that after 1 minute you will have to half press the shutter to wake the Camera up - no big deal either way.

BTW it is exactly the same choices on the 40D so you could not have looked very hard David ;)

I guess the reason for it being there is to save Battery power.

1 minute is the default starting value IIRC.

As I've suggested elsethread, I don't use auto power-off at all, and haven't since my 30D days, because the batteries last, and - especially with two batteries in the grip - there's not a snowball in Hell's chance of running out of juice before being able to get back to my charger.

Switch it off, sez I...

BTW it is exactly the same choices on the 40D so you could not have looked very hard David ;)QUOTE]
You are quite correct sir-I didn't look very hard (didn't look at all actually:-O).

Switch it off, sez I...

I have changed the setting to 15 minutes and (toes crossed) it hasn't happened this afternoon. I'm inclinded to switch it off completely but "it must be there for a purpose":h?:

As I've suggested elsethread, I don't use auto power-off at all, and haven't since my 30D days, because the batteries last, and - especially with two batteries in the grip - there's not a snowball in Hell's chance of running out of juice before being able to get back to my charger.

Switch it off, sez I...
Depends on your shooting style and whether or not you always switch the camera off. My computer desk overlooks my feeders and I often leave the camera switched on all day just in case something interesting comes along. As an experiment yesterday I switched off the auto power off and left the camera switched on - by this morning the battery was absolutely drained (only one battery). So one big advantage to using a auto power off is that if you inadvertently leave the Camera switched you will never drain the battery, indeed you need never switch the Camera on/off if you use a auto off - I have heard of loads of people that do this. Like I said previously there is no right or wrong setting!!!! but I will certainly be leaving a auto power off set.

Last edited:
Fair comment Roy.

It does strike me though, that whether the camera is in auto off or actually off, we still have to activate a camera control in order to fire it back up again (either the shutter button or the on/off switch), and - given the instant start-up that most cameras have these days - there's no downside to disabling auto-off and actually turning the body off properly if it's going to be standing idle for a while, because it will be on again just as quickly either way.

Then again, I've never forgotten to properly turn off my camera when I'm done - I realise that if this is a possibility, auto-off has that advantage.

Then again, I've never forgotten to properly turn off my camera when I'm done - I realise that if this is a possibility, auto-off has that advantage.

That sounds like a young persons disease ... I forget all the time !

I used 8 minutes on my 30D.

Had it set to the maximum 30 minutes on my 300D because it was so slow to start - despite the fact that it had poor battery life. It just wasn't worth waiting for ages for the camera to wake up.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back