• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 Ultravid vs. Zeiss 8x32 FL (1 Viewer)

Justin

Has anyone picked up either pair of these binoculars? Curious to find out any information available about either pair. Will they be available soon? Considering all the rave reviews that the old Leica 8x32 Trinovid received, I am wondering if the new Ultravid 8x32 has the potential to become a Reference Standard in its class. To my knowledge (which is very little on the topic of binoculars) all the complaints about the old Trinovid seem to have been fixed in the Ultravid. Also, I am assuming that the Zeiss 8x32 FL will be a top contender. I am interested to find out if it demonstrates the same loss of sharpness out past center that some have mentioned about its bigger brother.

Justin

Last edited:
I don't expect too many have tried the forthcoming 8x32 FL's, their only public showing was the Birdfair in the U.K. last week. I used the 8x32FL for about 5 minutes, and later during the event looked through a pair of 8x32 Ultravids... Not easy to compare with 48 hours seperating viewing but I came away with the impression that the FL's were brighter.
As to the 'loss of sharpness' mentioned by a couple of 42mm FL testers, I couldn't detect any problems 8x32mm FL's (couldn't see any notable problem with the 10x42's either). If it is there, I really can't see it being a problem for the birder.

I have to say, the Ultravid did feel good in my hands. Not sure about 'reference' standard, the competition is very close with the new crop of 32mm binos out there these days compared to when the 8x32 BN's had the market sewn up.
regards,
Andy

Bit like Andy I had 5 minutes or so with both. I can't say I saw that much between then and I compared both to my HGx32 and I won't be changing to either shortly make of that what you will. That said if you pushed my hand up my back and made me choose between the ultravid and FL I think I'd go for the FL. I couldn't see any problems with the FL image

Its a bit difficult when you are walking up and down the marquee and don't have them to hand.

I also compared the Ultravid to the Trinovid and although the Ultravid was noticeably brighter I found the Trinovids more comfortable.

There are some seriously good bins out there though!!

Ultravids are the prize in the OBC raffle (draw on the 11th Sept for those of you that bought tickets) I had a good go with them and they are very bright and extremely sharp maybe fractionally brighter and sharper than my HGs. As bright as my 7 x 42 dialyts maybe though.

I am still having trouble deciding if the Nikon 8 x 32 are 'better' than my trusty old dialyts.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back