• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa optics lousy service (1 Viewer)

catmouse

Hello Everyone, A word of warning about Kowa optics, I bought a new Genesis 8x33 binocular 2 years ago , I had a accident where the binoculars were hit and now off collimation and need repair. However Kowa is giving me nothing but stress and problems and a run around refusing to repair my binoculars. I sent 3 days worth of emails 3 days of phone calls and no help , just lousy customer service , they are nice binoculars but if you need help with a repair forget it!. Kowa does not stand by thier products anymore they do not even hire opticians to repair a product , they just give excuses with no help . I will never buy a Kowa product ever again , I just ordered a Zeiss FL 8x32 that will be my binocular now , I heard Swarovski has the best customer service. Anyone else have this problem with Kowa before?.

Hello Everyone, A word of warning about Kowa optics, I bought a new Genesis 8x33 binocular 2 years ago , I had a accident where the binoculars were hit and now off collimation and need repair. However Kowa is giving me nothing but stress and problems and a run around refusing to repair my binoculars. I sent 3 days worth of emails 3 days of phone calls and no help , just lousy customer service , they are nice binoculars but if you need help with a repair forget it!. Kowa does not stand by thier products anymore they do not even hire opticians to repair a product , they just give excuses with no help . I will never buy a Kowa product ever again , I just ordered a Zeiss FL 8x32 that will be my binocular now , I heard Swarovski has the best customer service. Anyone else have this problem with Kowa before?.

Sorry to hear you having problems that are taking away from the enjoyment of your binocular.

I am a little confused about the problem so hopefully you can provide some more information. Is Kowa refusing to honor what you think is something they promised in their warranty or are they just outright saying they can not or will not make the repair?

Speaking of warranty, I just browsed their web site and could not find anything on their warranty. Could you please fill us in on that. The only thing I found was a promise to have parts available up to 10 years after a product is discontinued. They do imply that they do repairs since they have process for sending them in and state upon receipt they will let the customer know if it will be a warranty repair or billed. I got the impression from your note that in reality they do not do repairs?

http://www.kowasporting.com/support

My brother had some warranty work done by Swarovski last year and the treatment was excellent. My only recent service experience has been with Charles at Zen-Ray and he also provided excellent service, no hesitation from him at all!

I had a accident where the binoculars were hit and now off collimation and need repair.

Well, no warranty covers something like that, so you certainly can't expect repair for free*. But of course they should do repair a damaged bino, even if they charge it. Some companies handle these issues directly, but many do it through their dealers. So best you try both with Kowa directly and with the place where you bought it.

* Swaro is often said to repair anything for free, even if the damage is clearly the users fault and not covered by warranty. Nice, but of course you paid for it with the steep inital price.

catmouse

"No Fault" warranties like Nikon has do cover accidental death or dismemberment, and unofficially Leupold and Swarovski usually fix accidentally broken bins, no questions asked. From Kowa's Website and from what they told you, it doesn't seem that Kowa's warranty includes a No Fault policy. So you're liable for the damages, unless this was a car accident and your car insurance covers items damaged in accidents.

I was going to recommend that you send the bin in for an estimate, but since you've already ordered a Zeiss FL, not sure if you have enough $ left over for repairs. If it's not much money, say $100, it might be worth fixing it up so you can have the Genesis as a backup in case you have an accident with the FLs, because Zeiss doesn't have a No Fault warranty either.

"This Warranty excludes claims for any special, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and does not cover damages due to the misuse, neglect, accidental damage, mishandling or alteration of the Product. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages. In such cases, the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you."

Zeiss Warranty

So you'd be in the same boat if you had accidentally damaged your 8x32 FL or maybe worse since it's likely that Zeiss charges more in repair costs (particularly if new parts are needed) than Kowa since the former is made in Germany and the latter in Japan.

Good Luck! with the FL. I hope you like it as much as you did your Genesis.

Brock

I wm not clear on what the problem is. Are they refusing to repair the damage you caused to.your binoculars if you pay them? Or are they refusing to pay for the repairs themselves under the warranty. If the latter then yes I can see why Kowa would not cover damage you caused.

I sent a pair of Zeiss fl8x32 to be repaired in Germany. Zeiss could not fix the problem so they sent me a brand new pair free of charge. I had excellent communication throughout and they were a pleasure to deal with.

I have dealt with Swarovski customer service and they were atrocious. Couldn't get a reply from them at all until I complained. So everybody seems to have different experiences good and bad from various manufacturers.

Regards Gerard.

Sorry to hear you having problems that are taking away from the enjoyment of your binocular.

I am a little confused about the problem so hopefully you can provide some more information. Is Kowa refusing to honor what you think is something they promised in their warranty or are they just outright saying they can not or will not make the repair?

Speaking of warranty, I just browsed their web site and could not find anything on their warranty. Could you please fill us in on that. The only thing I found was a promise to have parts available up to 10 years after a product is discontinued. They do imply that they do repairs since they have process for sending them in and state upon receipt they will let the customer know if it will be a warranty repair or billed. I got the impression from your note that in reality they do not do repairs?

My brother had some warranty work done by Swarovski last year and the treatment was excellent. My only recent service experience has been with Charles at Zen-Ray and he also provided excellent service, no hesitation from him at all!

I have a warranty on the binocular which I sent in, The receptionist said they no longer do repairs and that I would need to send them to Sportsmans warehouse, or Eagle optics etc. I called them all and they said they only sell the binoculars not repair them , that is the run around part. The binoculars were damaged in the back seat of a car , the eye cups were extended and the binoculars in the case , A friends son was in the 3rd seat of a suv and when he pushed the back seat to get out it literally gutted both eyepieces out of the frame ! at an angle I had to force them back in the binocular .However this threw the oculars off and the diopter is now stiff and hardly moves .Yes this was a strange accident but things happen and Kowa should honor thier warranty and at least take a look at the binocular and make the minor repairs . Instead they are making me look for other places to fix my binoculars and excuses. That is no way to run a company and I want everyone to know what I am going through.

Well, no warranty covers something like that, so you certainly can't expect repair for free*. But of course they should do repair a damaged bino, even if they charge it. Some companies handle these issues directly, but many do it through their dealers. So best you try both with Kowa directly and with the place where you bought it.

* Swaro is often said to repair anything for free, even if the damage is clearly the users fault and not covered by warranty. Nice, but of course you paid for it with the steep inital price.

I have a warranty on my Kowa I am surprised they are giving me the run around ,like shopping for insurance or something just makes no sense. I bought a Zeiss Fl 8x32 but I hear thier warranties are not much better ,I may be stuck with 2 binoculars with so-so service if needed. Maybe I should of went with a Swarovski. I never thought owning a high priced binocular we be such a hassle ? I think Vortex has a good warranty too ? but I do not care much for thier binoculars.

I wm not clear on what the problem is. Are they refusing to repair the damage you caused to.your binoculars if you pay them? Or are they refusing to pay for the repairs themselves under the warranty. If the latter then yes I can see why Kowa would not cover damage you caused.

I sent a pair of Zeiss fl8x32 to be repaired in Germany. Zeiss could not fix the problem so they sent me a brand new pair free of charge. I had excellent communication throughout and they were a pleasure to deal with.

I have dealt with Swarovski customer service and they were atrocious. Couldn't get a reply from them at all until I complained. So everybody seems to have different experiences good and bad from various manufacturers.

Regards Gerard.
Kowa does not want to repair the binoculars it seems even if I pay for the repairs , they want nothing to do with a binocular issue if it happens only to sell and make a profit after that you are on your own . It makes you think why even buy a top of the line binocular in a throw away society . I am glad to hear Zeiss helped you with your binocular and surprised Swarovski service was terrible , I think we all should consider these things before we buy a top of a line binocular and research first the warranties and service of a company .I never thought I would need to have my Kowa repaired and the Genesis is a nice binocular but my situation proves that you never know and accidents do happen.

It seems like both , they just want nothing to do with the issue at hand, However today I got a email from Eagle optics Kowa contacted them and I am supposed to get a RMA number for repair . I will see what happens next by Monday I suppose . I guess 3 days of complaing is getting through but it should not be this way with any company. I bought a new Zeiss Fl 8x32 as a extra binocular to fill in for the Kowa only since it was a good deal for a new Zeiss at $1,585 on sale now till August 31 , I need something to use until the Kowa is fixed and I always liked Zeiss plus I will always have a binocular at hand if anything else happens to either one.

catmouse

"No Fault" warranties like Nikon has do cover accidental death or dismemberment, and unofficially Leupold and Swarovski usually fix accidentally broken bins, no questions asked. From Kowa's Website and from what they told you, it doesn't seem that Kowa's warranty includes a No Fault policy. So you're liable for the damages, unless this was a car accident and your car insurance covers items damaged in accidents.

I was going to recommend that you send the bin in for an estimate, but since you've already ordered a Zeiss FL, not sure if you have enough $ left over for repairs. If it's not much money, say $100, it might be worth fixing it up so you can have the Genesis as a backup in case you have an accident with the FLs, because Zeiss doesn't have a No Fault warranty either.

"This Warranty excludes claims for any special, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and does not cover damages due to the misuse, neglect, accidental damage, mishandling or alteration of the Product. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages. In such cases, the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you."

Zeiss Warranty

So you'd be in the same boat if you had accidentally damaged your 8x32 FL or maybe worse since it's likely that Zeiss charges more in repair costs (particularly if new parts are needed) than Kowa since the former is made in Germany and the latter in Japan.

Good Luck! with the FL. I hope you like it as much as you did your Genesis.

Brock
Hello Brock, Thank you for the information on the warranties I can understand why the manufacturers are not at fault for a accident ,but in my case with Kowa it seems to me they did not want to help me in repairs until finally after 3 days of complaining I am supposed to get a RMA number by Monday, That I will have to see to believe. I have nothing against Kowa binoculars they are great optics , it is the after sale part and warranty if anything should happen to a optic . A good company backs its products before and after a sale ,at least that is what I always thought and I am sure everyone else too who owns nice binoculars . I like my Genesis and I will have 2 binoculars and either one for a spare if something should happen to either in a accident . I never thought my Kowa would have any issues or accidents since I take care of my optics well , but this proves to everyone reading it can happen to you too, and the Genesis is built like a tank at least I thought so until the ocular section was literally gutted out from the housing tubes . The other thing I never thought it would be such a hassle to fix a binocular even if I pay for it . It means there are no optic technicians for repair ? here or Japan ? is a surprise to me.

Hello Brock, Thank you for the information on the warranties I can understand why the manufacturers are not at fault for a accident ,but in my case with Kowa it seems to me they did not want to help me in repairs until finally after 3 days of complaining I am supposed to get a RMA number by Monday, That I will have to see to believe. I have nothing against Kowa binoculars they are great optics , it is the after sale part and warranty if anything should happen to a optic . A good company backs its products before and after a sale ,at least that is what I always thought and I am sure everyone else too who owns nice binoculars . I like my Genesis and I will have 2 binoculars and either one for a spare if something should happen to either in a accident . I never thought my Kowa would have any issues or accidents since I take care of my optics well , but this proves to everyone reading it can happen to you too, and the Genesis is built like a tank at least I thought so until the ocular section was literally gutted out from the housing tubes . The other thing I never thought it would be such a hassle to fix a binocular even if I pay for it . It means there are no optic technicians for repair ? here or Japan ? is a surprise to me.

After hearing the full story, I can't blame you for being frustrated with Kowa. I can understand why they wouldn't do the repairs under the warranty, but not why they told you to contact their authorized dealers to get the repair work done.

I doubt if Eagle Optics can repair your bin since it sounds like they are going to need the parts, unless Kowa has an arrangement by which it outsources its repairs the way Swift does and sends parts to authorized dealers and they do the repairs. If so, that is most unusual. I didn't even know they had repair technicians at EO. Repair work is usually outsourced to a repair shop. For example, Texas Nautical Repair is the authorized repair shop for Swift Sports Optic.

I'm interested in hearing how this problem gets resolved. I'm sure Kowa owners are too since you might be able to help them avoid the pitfalls that you went through.

Good Luck!

Brock

Hi catmouse

I have just read through this thread, I have been on the Kowa website in America and found this link

I don't know if this helps in any way, but clearly states how to contact them and how you will be dealt with, I am presuming the phone number in the link is the phone number you have recently phoned? If not, please ring it and ask for Monika, she is the Customer Service lady and I have found her very helpful in the past.

Please let us know how you get on?

Kind Regards

Paul Hackett - Optics & Digiscoping Consultant Kowa Optics UK

Hi catmouse

I have just read through this thread, I have been on the Kowa website in America and found this link

I don't know if this helps in any way, but clearly states how to contact them and how you will be dealt with, I am presuming the phone number in the link is the phone number you have recently phoned? If not, please ring it and ask for Monika, she is the Customer Service lady and I have found her very helpful in the past.

Please let us know how you get on?

Kind Regards

Paul Hackett - Optics & Digiscoping Consultant Kowa Optics UK

Hello Paul, I talked to Monika and she was helpful still waiting for the repair number, I thought I will just put the part in the housing again the ocular assembly that came out I took my time and aligned it and put it back in the housing and checked the Diopter alignment in the barrel . And to my surprise the binoculars seem to work fine now ! , These Kowa Genesis are tougher than I thought they are built very well. I may still send them in for a recheck , What bothers me is the poor service in terms of repair " IF Needed" not just by Kowa but even Swarovski as one reply I had to this post. I think most binocular companies are similar ? in terms of repair . I do not know but I was maybe thinking Kowa and other binocular companies had repair techs on site but many do not. Maybe because accidents happen to binoculars but on a rare basis as mine did ,and they think it is not worth it too pay a employee to just sit and wait for a binocular with a problem due to an accident or a manufacturing fault. The thing is I should not be attempting repairs Kowa should of , but I did so I guess that voids my warranty but I would of paid anyway since it was a accident and not a manufacturing fault. When I get the RMA number I will send them in for a recheck if it does not cost too much . Anyone know of a good padded 32mm binocular case made of plastic or steel for excellent protection , since binoculars can get damaged in your car as well as in the field by an accident. :cat:

This is not true: I know Nikon, Vortex, Pentax, Alpen, Zen-Ray and Eagle Optics / Atlas all have a no fault warranty. As Brock quoted, unofficially Leupold and Swarovski usually cover it too. I know there are other brands that have gone to the no fault as well in recent years.

Unfortunately for the original OP, Kowa does not have this warranty.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back