• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift gone already 30th July 2011 (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
I've missed the screaming around my house for the last few days. The Swifts that nest in the house next door have left:-C . Winters on its way!

WOW i HATE that I look forward to seeing them in early summer, but hate it even more when I dont see them, but nature is wonderful, have a nice christmas. MC

WOW i HATE that I look forward to seeing them in early summer, but hate it even more when I dont see them, but nature is wonderful, have a nice christmas. MC

Still have a few in this part of Ireland, but they will be gone pretty soon. Once they've departed you know that summer is over. :-C

Si.

still plenty here :) ,some (including swallows) are still rearing as well :) .there's still plenty life left in them yet. not even getting cold here yet, infact it's too warm ,i haven't been able to sleep well the last couple of nights and there was a thunder storm a few days back.(only gave some rain, soon turned back to practical drought) probably why there still around down here :) the sheer heat as of late

Still some here - just had a group of about 10 screaming past.

D

And also still here in High Wycombe - not too far from the OP's location in Berkshire.

What most prompts them to leave?

Change in daylight length? Food supply? Drop in temperature - we've just had a very warm spell around here though, but it's ended today? Or is it just when they've finished feeding their particular brood & fatted themselves up then they're off?

Fraser

There were a couple belting around outside my house this morning. It's always made me wonder " Why do 'our' swifts bugger off so early when Finnish birds hang around for another month or so?"

Chris

I live on the south coast and I have been seeing various numbers of swifts over the area in the last couple of weeks - evenings there are loads about, all seem to have vanished in the morning - have assumed that they are passing through on the way south. The other evening when I was out there I had about 40 to 50 swifts all flying around above the golf course - no sign or sound of them later on.

I live at a river mouth - I wonder if they use the river valleys as navigational aids

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back