• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

short break in yorkshire (1 Viewer)

annap

My partner has just booked a few nights in a hotel for us at the end of July to celebrate my 30th birthday. We'll be staying at Otley which is not far from Leeds.

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any good sites nearby as neither of us know the area well.

Thanks

Anna

annap said:
My partner has just booked a few nights in a hotel for us at the end of July to celebrate my 30th birthday. We'll be staying at Otley which is not far from Leeds.

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any good sites nearby as neither of us know the area well.

Thanks

Anna

Hi Anna,

Only just read your thread, so what I'm telling you is probably too late, but there is always another time.

When I'm up in Yorkshire Dales I love to visit Bolton Abbey. Strid Wood which is within the abbey estate is a must for birdwatchers. There are several trails depending on your walking ability, ranging from easy to tough. In the past I have had Brambling feeding with the Chaffinches only feet from where we were sat. Flycatcher in the woods.

Even closer to Otley is Lindley Wood Reservoir on the B6451. And a few miles further north on that road, then take a left turn for Swinsty and Fewston Reservoirs. Each has woods with good chances of seeing some birds. And at Swinsty there is a picnic area [there was last year] and toilets.

When I'm visiting Leeds I call at Fairburn Ings on the way home, it's about 15 miles. I leave Leeds on the ring road and then get on to the A63 [south] which takes you to the A1 [south]. Then look for the Fairburn turn-off, it's not far. After leaving the A1, take the first left [it's only yards from A1] you will come to traffic lights. Drive over the bridge and keep going, you will see a 30MPH sign, go past this and then take first right [Gawk Street] go to the end. Turn right and keep on this road until you see the entrance for Fairburn Ings on the left, which is about two miles or so. There is a shop and toilets. It is a first-class reserve.

Have a lovely time and best wishes for your birthday.

Regards

John. B :)

Hi Anna,Just to add to Johns' selection you could also try the wood behind Ilkey Lido/cricket ground,just last week saw treecreeper,nuthatch.gsp woodpecker, sp flycatcher,kestrel and buzzard to name but a few,hope you enjoy your visit.

Hi John and Bob

Thanks for your suggestions- posted the day before we went away! As our time was limited, we only managed to get to Fairburn Ings. We had a great time, the highlights being the best view of a water rail (and chicks!) I have ever seen and the large number of great crested grebes. We will definitely go back to the area at some point in the future and try some of your other suggestions.
Thanks again
Anna

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back