• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (1 Viewer)

love the dropplets on the hawfinch's head. good series Dan.
Read somewhere here, that migration birds have been turning south again, since it's way too cold (late mars). On the positive side (at least where I am) we have sunny days... :)

Thanks. He is a very patient model!
Not seen one? We have heard that often from Brits. Can you imagine my surprise the first time he showed up?! I saw something in the feeder and looked in the camera. "MY God! What is THAT!?" Took up the whole viewfinder. I'd never even seen a picture of a Hawfinch. Still pretty new at this whole bird business.

Great pics guys. Dan, the Hawfinch shot is a beauty! I'm still yet to see one in the flesh!

You need to befriend someone with a garden feeder in Quedgley so I hear. I've only seen them twice from numerous trips to the forest and never at close quarters. Both times in the tops of tall trees at RSPB Nags Head.

There was a lot going on by the compost today.
First there where small birds, then came the magpies followed by the ravens and finally a hawk.
It's uncommonly cold here in Southwest Germany, normally the hawk could be seen by our pond eating frog legs.

I shot handeld from a 35m distance, through dirty windows, with a scope which fell previously down but still seems reasonable adjusted.
These are my first bird shots using the telescope.

What fun!
But I need a chair or lay down comfortably.

hh1.jpg

hh2.jpg

hh3.jpg

Thanks for watching ;)
Yes there's always action if the two ravens and the hawk are involved.
Must be a hard life to be a hawk.

(The scope is a Astro Professional 80ED and the Camera a Canon 350D by the way)
Nice action! The Hawk looks like a Common Buzzard to me (Buteo buteo).

Well hidden

I wanted to share with you the weather we are facing... the picture shows what it looks like on the seaside where NE wind is blowing towards shore.

The only good thing with the weather these days is that we sometimes get sun. I have been relatively successful this winter in spotting Kingfishers and sneaking close enough to get reasonably detailed shots. Shame about the branches obstructing the line of sight.

Attachments

• Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis)_5.jpg
    Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis)_5.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Miserable weather.jpg
    Miserable weather.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 56
I wanted to share with you the weather we are facing... the picture shows what it looks like on the seaside where NE wind is blowing towards shore.

The only good thing with the weather these days is that we sometimes get sun. I have been relatively successful this winter in spotting Kingfishers and sneaking close enough to get reasonably detailed shots. Shame about the branches obstructing the line of sight.

Looks like the Kingfisher is freezing.. What do they eat when rivers and lakes are frozen?

A couple of years ago I was paddling a nearby river and I couldn't believe that I spotted a Kingfisher as well. I doubt that I will ever be able to take a photo of it, but I give a try.
I guess in white winter it's much easier to spot them (but also to be spotted).

And yes, you are right. It's a Buteo Buteo.
We have, as long as I can remember, a stable colony around. Once I counted seven individuals in the sky doing their flight show.

Bitterly cold here still though we've had some decent sunny spells over the last few days which I've tried to make the most of. A couple of my better efforts all with the SW80ED + Nikon D5100. Kestrel took some sneaking upon but worth the effort. This was with 1.4TC, whilst the Great Tit and Water Rail were both scope only.

Attachments

• Great Tit (748x800).jpg
    Great Tit (748x800).jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Kestrel PE (644x800).jpg
    Kestrel PE (644x800).jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Water Rail (800x565).jpg
    Water Rail (800x565).jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 62
Looks like the Kingfisher is freezing.. What do they eat when rivers and lakes are frozen?

A couple of years ago I was paddling a nearby river and I couldn't believe that I spotted a Kingfisher as well. I doubt that I will ever be able to take a photo of it, but I give a try.
I guess in white winter it's much easier to spot them (but also to be spotted).
I have found some small coastal rivers that will not freeze in the coldest of winter. That's where the KF survive. On a good day I will spot a couple of KF per hour. Sometimes I am lucky to see them land within photo range (25 m or less), but usually they just fly by. It's hard work...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back