• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumblebee common names (1 Viewer)

string boozel

Hi, is there a standardised list of common names for bumblebees or is it normal to use the scientific one? My new bee guide seems to favour the latin system and mentions that many species have various names.

Thanks, James.

Only a handful have an established English name though I notice in a new book by Paul Brock- A comprehensive guide to insects of Britain + Ireland all have been given an English name.

Have to say I'm not too keen on trying to give every organism now an English name. I prefer using the well established + internationally understood scientific name.

I can see the rationale in giving some an English name where they are very much in the public eye such as Bombus hypnorum- the Tree Bumblebee as they are striking + now common (at least down here) + often nesting about houses + in nest boxes. At least none of the bumblebee scientific names are total tongue twisters like some of the micro moths.

Apologies for butting in on this guys, I tried to take a few pictures of the most obvious insects in our Middx garden last weekend, and the two commonest seemed to be the two below:

I stand to be corrected but I think both have common names and both are recent colonists, Harlequin Ladybird and Tree Bumblebee? The latter seemed to be nesting in our loft.

Must admit it's the 'white-tailed bumblebees' that particularly confuse me. Any advice welcome. The Thomson / Lewington Garden Wildlife Book also gives English names and only has the six common species. Can you identify on this if you say just limited to the largest 'queen type examples?'.

Attachments

• Harlequin Ladybirdemail.JPG
    Harlequin Ladybirdemail.JPG
    449 KB · Views: 34
  • Tree Bumblebeeemail.JPG
    Tree Bumblebeeemail.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 53
Yes Harlequin + Tree Bumblebee. The common 6 bumblebees have well established English names, other species less so.

Though both species have been very successful colonists of the last decade or so the big difference is that the bee was a natural colonist, extending its range across Europe whereas the ladybird is here through our meddling + native to Asia, but was used as a biological colonist.

Thanks Aeshna5, we were really surprised by the sheer number those ladybirds in our small garden this year. The bees are still swarming (modest numbers though) around our soffit board today (Carrin's tolerating them at the moment). Phil

Thanks Aeshna, I suppose with so few species I will just have to learn the binominal names, as you say they do appear to be fairly straightforward. I never realised that bee spotting was such a relatively complicated business. Oh well nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

Thanks,

James.

There have been over the past century, several attempts to give Bumble Bees common English names, none of them very successful. In my opinion they are nearly all cumbersome and difficult to remember, I prefer their Generic and Specific names, they're easier to learn and don't change as often.

Harry

Hi Harry, I' m currently attempting to learn the scientific names while also trying to identify the little beasties at the same time.It's not as easy as I hoped but it is fun trying!

James.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back