• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal M2 100ED - tripod and head help!? (1 Viewer)

coolcorvid

Hello.

I recently purchased this lovely piece of equipment but I am struggling to find a good tripod for it.

I have a Giotto silk road with a 3 way head at the moment and my research tells me that a 2 way video head is the way to go for scoping.

The Giotto plate is no good for the 100mm Celestron Regal M2. The video pin doesn't fit the scopes balancing plate which is really frustrating so there is lots of play in the connection which isn't good for scoping obviously.

I need to get help from anybody who can advise a tripod and head combination that fits this scope.

Thanks

You really have a beast there. Nice but heavy. I would look at video heads The Manfrotto 502 or maybe the 500 but the 502 has more control over the tilt balance and the plate slides to help with balance. with something that heavy and long there aren't a lot of light weight alternatives. You might look at the big Vanguard I think its th3 PH 124 or 123 something like that. You might look at one of the bigger Induros or a heaver duty Gittso if your flush.
Steve

Hi
I have the celestron regal m2 100ED and I use a Manfrotto MVH500AH head, combined with a Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod. This setup works really really well, im chuffed to bits with it :t:

The US dealers have a promotion with the Manfrotto 502 head ( much better then the 500 but heavier) and the o55XBPro3 tripod for 299.00. That's quite a savings and should work nicely with your scope.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back