• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (50 Viewers)

Hi Paul,
Yes it is on green belt!!!!

I actually attended a residents action group meeting yesterday morning. Over 120 people turned up and it was fairly productive. They have paid for the services of a legal consultant who’s company deals with planning issue involved with traveller/show people sites. And highlighted a number of areas where this proposal could be fought on.

I also addressed the meeting and spoke about the potential impact on red data breeding species such as Corn Bunting, Yellowhammer, Skylark and also did an interview for the local evening newspaper (The Express & Star) afterwards.

Kirsty Brannan the RSPBs Farmland conservation officer for the Midlands region is already involved and in contact with me.

The local free newspaper has also contacted me for some info regarding the potential environmental impact at this site.

Jase
Noted thanks Jason I suspected as much which makes the application inappropriate development. I will set out my objection from a planning and ecological stand point. If you gett he story into the local media then local TV often pick up these stories. However,you have made a good start and engaging a planning consultant is a sound move and as one myself is what I would strongly have advised.Please keep us all posted it may be given the sites importance Brian S may wish to give the issue some prominence through his wider contacts. Good luck Paul

Noted thanks Jason I suspected as much which makes the application inappropriate development. I will set out my objection from a planning and ecological stand point. If you gett he story into the local media then local TV often pick up these stories. However,you have made a good start and engaging a planning consultant is a sound move and as one myself is what I would strongly have advised.Please keep us all posted it may be given the sites importance Brian S may wish to give the issue some prominence through his wider contacts. Good luck Paul

Sorry for cross-posting on the issue of updates, to quick for me!

y, days shot.

here's the picture of the presumed jack snipe, not too good, too far away so can you all flush one a bit closer next time at least i'm in the forgetful elephant flying jack snipe picture club.

Attachments

• DSC00614.JPG
    DSC00614.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 94
Record shot from earlier this afternoon of a rather skulking Jack Snipe at Amy's Marsh...

Attachments

• SDC12712ed.jpg
    SDC12712ed.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Fantastic work John et al. :t:
Did the nest box that was in the tallest Willow on your second photo survive? B :) (I think I can just make it out, but I'm not sure)

Hi Sy
The boxes that were on the trees/hawthorns that have been coppiced by the contractors have been put in the 1st hide. You can put them up as and when you wish. We could have a look at likely places in the next couple of weeks.
Unless you have any more beer festivals to organise8-PB :)B :)B :)B :)B :)
see you soon mate;)John

A couple of record shots from today:

1. Jack Snipe in a brief appearance in the open.
2. Gadwall pair
3. Wideon

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB5845 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5845 - Version 2.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 84
  • _ROB5851.jpg
    _ROB5851.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 73
  • _ROB5880.jpg
    _ROB5880.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 73
Tuesday work party

I have just spoken to Paul M and tomorrow we will be working on Amy's marsh. We will be cutting the grass around the Broadmeadow pool. Therefore there will be some disturbance in the morning.
sorry for any inconvenience this causes, but we are running out of time before the breeding birds return.
B :)John

I have just spoken to Paul M and tomorrow we will be working on Amy's marsh. We will be cutting the grass around the Broadmeadow pool. Therefore there will be some disturbance in the morning.
sorry for any inconvenience this causes, but we are running out of time before the breeding birds return.
B :)John

Will be interested in the Snipe count that you flush as a result; numbers very disappointing at the Flashes on Sunday.

Oily film on surface of flashes

View attachment oily film.bmpOn last Sunday's work-party, John (Upstarts) asked me what causes the 'oily film' that occurs in small patches on the stagnant water around the edges of the flashes. These patches have exactly the same 'rainbow' appearance as when petroleum spirit is spilled on puddles of rain-water (i.e. colourful interference patterns from two reflecting surfaces separated by small distances, of similar magnitude to the wavelength of the incident light). See image attached.

However, the cause in this case is entirely natural and is directly related to the smelly 'marsh gas' that often arises when these areas are disturbed. Both are caused by anaerobic decomposition of accumulated vegetation (i.e. plants decaying underwater in the absence of oxygen). Methanogenic bacteria digest this organic matter and convert it into methane, which escapes as gas bubbles into the atmosphere. Similar bacterial processes can also produce higher molecular-weight liquid hydrocarbons, which float/collect on the surface of water. Chemically, these are indeed similar to the alkanes (paraffins) and alkenes (olefins) found in petrol.

Another (rarely seen) phenomenon is called 'ignis fatuus' , whereby similar anaerobic processes can form pyrophoric (spontaneously combusting)mixtures - thought to contain reduced phosphorus compounds (phosphine/diphosphane). These are said to have an eerie appearance and are thought to be responsible for the malevolent swamp sprites of folklore, known as 'Will o the Wisp' (and other superstitious phenomena associated with marshes/wetlands).

Personally, I'd love to see a 'Will o Wisp' - maybe on an 'all-night Baillons Crake' survey this spring/summer - eh, Des? :t:

Attachments

• Will o Wisp.jpg
    Will o Wisp.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 104
Dave

Brilliant stuff (as always) but I can't help thinking you've got more chance of seeing a 'Will o the Whisky' if an all-nighter and Des are involved! B :)

View attachment 426823On last Sunday's work-party, John (Upstarts) asked me what causes the 'oily film' that occurs in small patches on the stagnant water around the edges of the flashes. These patches have exactly the same 'rainbow' appearance as when petroleum spirit is spilled on puddles of rain-water (i.e. colourful interference patterns from two reflecting surfaces separated by small distances, of similar magnitude to the wavelength of the incident light). See image attached.

However, the cause in this case is entirely natural and is directly related to the smelly 'marsh gas' that often arises when these areas are disturbed. Both are caused by anaerobic decomposition of accumulated vegetation (i.e. plants decaying underwater in the absence of oxygen). Methanogenic bacteria digest this organic matter and convert it into methane, which escapes as gas bubbles into the atmosphere. Similar bacterial processes can also produce higher molecular-weight liquid hydrocarbons, which float/collect on the surface of water. Chemically, these are indeed similar to the alkanes (paraffins) and alkenes (olefins) found in petrol.

Another (rarely seen) phenomenon is called 'ignis fatuus' , whereby similar anaerobic processes can form pyrophoric (spontaneously combusting)mixtures - thought to contain reduced phosphorus compounds (phosphine/diphosphane). These are said to have an eerie appearance and are thought to be responsible for the malevolent swamp sprites of folklore, known as 'Will o the Wisp' (and other superstitious phenomena associated with marshes/wetlands).

Personally, I'd love to see a 'Will o Wisp' - maybe on an 'all-night Baillons Crake' survey this spring/summer - eh, Des? :t:

..........as long as the Crakes don't get burnt!

Des.

Dave

Brilliant stuff (as always) but I can't help thinking you've got more chance of seeing a 'Will o the Whisky' if an all-nighter and Des are involved! B :)

I didn't know I had a reputation for boozing, I thought that was more your territory Sy. B :)

Des.

Have signed petition Jason and placed objection

On another note I have aarea at the bottom of my garden and was wondering what would be the best plants/shrubs to place in this area as to form a hedge row it will onlt be about 12 meters long and hopefully 2 - 3 meters thick it must be best for wildlife not bothered wether it flowers or not any help would be gratefully recieved

Kind Regards

Adrian

Will be interested in the Snipe count that you flush as a result; numbers very disappointing at the Flashes on Sunday.
A JACK snipe was on snipe island before we started plus a handful of commons. As soon as we entered the Broadmeadow pool east bank, snipe were flying from everywhere. Before we started strimming we did a flush so we wouldn't kill any and Jacks were coming from under our feet with 3 or 4 from one area. A conservative estimate of 8 Jack's and 90 - 100 commons and after that another 2 jacks were flushed, so there were at least 10. We were all knocked out by the sheer numbers involved, a real site to behold considering the small area of land involved.
This is interesting in many ways.
As Phil has already alluded to, the Flashes was traditionally the snipe capital of Upton. Unfortunately the ideal 'juncus' habitat has almost completely disappeared, beneath the relentless advance of phragmites reeds.
Also the area on the east side of the Broadmeadow pool, has received 3 or 4 years of intense management. This has involved annual strimming of the large bramble patch and cutting back the dry herbaceous vegetation. The willow saplings were treated last year and they have declined by 50% this year. These actions coupled with a very wet 6 months have encouraged a vigorous growth of juncus. Today's snipe totals is testamant to positive management paying dividends.
Species count on Moors
GCG 4, Litlle grebe 1 broadmeadow pool, mute swan 2, cormorant 20, shoveller 4 (2 prs), teal 25, gadwall pr, shelduck pr, wigeon, pochard 20 (19 males), tufted 25+, water rail several, snipe 90-100, Jack's 10, lapwing 200+, curlew 11, herring gull ad, mistle thrush 2 in paddock, siskin and redpoll along east track,

Last edited:
View attachment 426823On last Sunday's work-party, John (Upstarts) asked me what causes the 'oily film' that occurs in small patches on the stagnant water around the edges of the flashes. These patches have exactly the same 'rainbow' appearance as when petroleum spirit is spilled on puddles of rain-water (i.e. colourful interference patterns from two reflecting surfaces separated by small distances, of similar magnitude to the wavelength of the incident light). See image attached.

Thats brill Dave:t:, next time I am asked the question.....I will get them to ask you for the answer. 8-P
Well Paul C can now quote your article, the next time he is accused in the flashes hide, of having sweaty socks . :-O:-O

A JACK snipe was on snipe island before we started plus a handful of commons. As soon as we entered the Broadmeadow pool east bank, snipe were flying from everywhere. Before we started strimming we did a flush so we wouldn't kill any and Jacks were coming from everywhere with 3 or 4 from one area. A conservative estimate of 8 Jack's and 90 - 100 commons and after that another 2 jacks were flushed, so there were at least 10. We were all knocked out by the sheer numbers involved, a real site to behold considering the small area of land involved.
This is interesting in many ways.
As Phil has already alluded to, the Flashes was traditionally the snipe capital of Upton. Unfortunately the ideal 'juncus' habitat has almost completely disappeared, beneath the relentless advance of phragmites reeds.
Also the area on the east side of the Broadmeadow pool, has received 3 nor 4 years of intense management. This has involved annual strimming of the large bramble patch and cutting back the dry herbaceous vegetation. The willow saplings were treated last year and they have declined by 50% this year. These actions coupled with a very wet 6 months have encouraged a vigorous growth of juncus. Today's snipe totals is testamant to positive management paying dividends.
Species count on Moors
GCG 4, Litlle grebe 1 broadmeadow pool, mute swan 2, cormorant 20, shoveller 4 (2 prs), teal 25, gadwall pr, shelduck pr, wigeon, pochard 20 (19 males), tufted 25+, water rail several, snipe 90-100, Jack's 10, lapwing 200+, curlew 11, herring gull ad, mistle thrush 2 in paddock, siskin and redpoll along east track,

To add: Pheasant pr, GSW, Sparrowhawk & Paul M saw Cettis to right of new hide.

Rob

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back