• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One day to spare in Oban, August (1 Viewer)

SiG

Hi

Work takes me to Oban next week for a meeting. I'll get one whole day to myself and a couple of early mornings; I won't have a car but I will have my optics.

What would you recommend I do with this time for birding? Thanks in advance of any practical suggestions for where to go and what to see.

Hi

Work takes me to Oban next week for a meeting. I'll get one whole day to myself and a couple of early mornings; I won't have a car but I will have my optics.

What would you recommend I do with this time for birding? Thanks in advance of any practical suggestions for where to go and what to see.

Hi Si,

I'd take a ferry to one of the islands (Tiree maybe?) and seawatch from the deck. If your free day is a Thursday you could either do a 14 hour trip (there and back) to Barra, or jump off the ferry at Tiree, have six hours on the island, then catch the return ferry back to Oban.

Cheers
Jonathan

The seafront in Oban north ofthe harbour (near the war memorial) can be good for Otters and they're quite tolerant of people. Good chance of Black Guillemot and past winters have had a Ring-billed Gull hanging round (the Essex one is already back).

All really helpful, thanks. Sadly my day off will be a Monday, Jonathan, but you've got me looking at the timetables ... I've also emailed a couple of people who do trips around Mull, Ian. Plenty to, er, mull over. The tip about otters in the harbour is great too, cheers Paul.

Decision made. I've managed to get a place in Pete Hall's Mitsubishi Shogun for Monday ...

http://mullwildlifetours.co.uk/

Tuesday very early will see me around the harbour. And Tuesday night I'm staying on Luing, with an early start back on the Wednesday that will see me around Cuan first light to see what's about.

Thanks, all, for suggestions.

Hi, when i was there last month i was told that the RBG was around the harbour; i didn't see it but the Black Guillies put on an incredible show early morning, interacting in, frankly really cute ways and even sitting on the edge of the promenade above the nesting holes!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back