• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird guide dahab/sharm el sheikh area Egypt (1 Viewer)

birdy001

Hi there,
I was wondering if someone can help me out to find a local bird guide in the dahab and sharm el sheikh area. Around October 29th I will be staying in Dahab which is about 80km north of Sharm El Sheikh. I would love to head out birding for one day in the sharm area but until now couldn't find a local birder our a local person with a car who knows the good sites. Areas I would like to visit are the sewage ponds and Nabq.

Many thanks,

Hi there,
I know a person that can maybe help you out in Dahab.
Wanna send me your email and I let them contact you?

Sharm isn't overly big.
If you don't find a guide there I can give you the Hotspots on google maps and tell you the prices for taxis to get there (or you could rent a car) :)

Hey Jos,

if all else fails, you can contact Sharks Bay Bedouin/Umbi Diving Village, they should be able to put you in touch with a reliable taxi driver who can take you to Sharm Sewage Works (but he isn't a birder). There is at least one senior English member of staff at the diving village who should be able to pass on his number or email.

Dahab is a great place! I assume you are aware that the sewage ponds at Dahab, which are just a 5-minute walk out of town, are also good for birding (lots of migrants), and Dahab Lagoon to the south is also productive. Of course check out Google Earth/Maps if you need to get your bearings before you go. Look out for Sooty Falcons over Dahab!

Best wishes,

DL

bird guide dahab/sharm area

;)
Hi there,
I know a person that can maybe help you out in Dahab.
Wanna send me your email and I let them contact you?

Sharm isn't overly big.
If you don't find a guide there I can give you the Hotspots on google maps and tell you the prices for taxis to get there (or you could rent a car) :)

Hi Nicole,

Would be great to bring me in contact with someone.

Many thanks,;)

bird guide dahab/sharm

Hey Jos,

if all else fails, you can contact Sharks Bay Bedouin/Umbi Diving Village, they should be able to put you in touch with a reliable taxi driver who can take you to Sharm Sewage Works (but he isn't a birder). There is at least one senior English member of staff at the diving village who should be able to pass on his number or email.

Dahab is a great place! I assume you are aware that the sewage ponds at Dahab, which are just a 5-minute walk out of town, are also good for birding (lots of migrants), and Dahab Lagoon to the south is also productive. Of course check out Google Earth/Maps if you need to get your bearings before you go. Look out for Sooty Falcons over Dahab!

Best wishes,

DL

Hy Don,

Thanks for the tip.

@Jos
Have sent your email to my friend. She'll forward it to the bird guy and she'll contact you.
You might wanna remove that email addy from your post though ;)

I will update the Sharm Info on my Site a bit and email you the link later :)

In Dahab your main area's other than the hotel gardens are the sewage farm opposite side of the road from the CAMEL PIT(the area in the middle of town where most of the taxi's hang by the small wooden bridge), also check out the gardens infront of the Hilton hotel which dispite being neglected can pick up some nice migrants.This also is near the main jetty and the big lagoon which are worth a walk.While in this area make sure you do a St Catherine trip, don't do an excursion but use a taxi that will be willing to stop at the odd wadi and waterhole onroute.Another person with good contacts in this area is the taxi driver we have on the getting about page.
Any help I can offer please contact me..

I've worked a bit on the Birding places list (the Sharm Pools link was toasted):
http://nicoleb.org/b2/index.php/nature/birding-places-in-sharm-el-sheikh
Still more work to do though ;)

Watch out for the prices for the St. Catherine's trip via taxi (unless you use Doozer's recommended taxi driver).
Max. I've paid for an 8 hour trip was 400LE.

Any trip around Sharm shouldn't be more than 20LE one way.

To get to Nabq best use a blue Minibus, max. 3LE (you can easily catch one back from the sewers there).

To get to Dahab best use the Bus that goes from the bus station near Rowysat. Earliest bus is (I think) at 7am.
Price max is 25LE (I got it as cheap as 7LE one day, no idea why. It was the same old bus I usually paid 20LE for - 25 is for the one with AC, called VIP bus).

In Dahab your main area's other than the hotel gardens are the sewage farm opposite side of the road from the CAMEL PIT(the area in the middle of town where most of the taxi's hang by the small wooden bridge), also check out the gardens infront of the Hilton hotel which dispite being neglected can pick up some nice migrants.This also is near the main jetty and the big lagoon which are worth a walk.While in this area make sure you do a St Catherine trip, don't do an excursion but use a taxi that will be willing to stop at the odd wadi and waterhole onroute.Another person with good contacts in this area is the taxi driver we have on the getting about page.
Any help I can offer please contact me..

I can vouch for him Doozer. We used him in March for St Catherine's, Nabq Protectorate and Ras Mohammed. A thoroughly nice man.

We're hoping to come back next October for the autumn passage to pick up some of the stuff we missed this year and I'll be giving him a call.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back