• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British List Breakdown (1 Viewer)

bluesinlondon

So, the BOU list stands at 588 species. The category A criteria is 'recorded... at least once since 1 January 1950.'

So, a species that's been seen just once in 60 years is on the same list as the most common, garden varieties.

Can anyone point me in the direction of info that breaks the list down into a bit more detail e.g. less than 1000 records, less than 100 etc.

Thanks in advance

I may be wrong but I'm not aware that there is such a list in the public domain. Your best resource for something like that would be the annual British Birds rarities report. That lists the rarities (accepted by the BBRC) seen in a particular year and numbers of total records in the UK are included in brackets for each species. It would, I guess, be a labour of love to go back over the last x years to compile a complete list. Presumably, however, the BBRC does have such a list in order that they maintain and update totals.

DiP

So, the BOU list stands at 588 species. The category A criteria is 'recorded... at least once since 1 January 1950.'

So, a species that's been seen just once in 60 years is on the same list as the most common, garden varieties.

Can anyone point me in the direction of info that breaks the list down into a bit more detail e.g. less than 1000 records, less than 100 etc.

Thanks in advance

I would agree with the previous poster that there isn't an easily accessable list such as this, although it would be quite useful. One reason is probably the thankless task of constantly updating it! I wrote out the species listed as British birds from the RSPB website a while back (about 275 species) and use this as a template at home.

If you want a rough idea, the"Ultimate Site Guide To Scarcer British Birds" has a complete list of species at the back with the number of records of rarer species up to June 2009. The main problem is that the taxonomy is UK400 Club (eg. the Bean Geese are split, Brent are split etc) and the records are not necessarily all accepted by the BBRC.

How about BTO Bird Facts? Click on the species you are interested in and there's quite a lot of useful statistical information regarding numbers of records in the UK.

Dave W

Birdguides categorises all species as common, local, scarce, rare or mega. The list can be copied and pasted from their website and it's a quick job in Excel to turn it into a database as I have done for my own UK list.

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back