• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minor problem with new Swarovski SV 10x42 bins (1 Viewer)

Jonno52

John (a bad birdwatcher)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi All

My new 10x42s arrived today. I'll post another time about the image quality etc (briefly, it's excellent).

After ages trying, I've finally fitted the carrying strap - very fiddly, but done now.

The remaining thing I can't get my head round is the objective covers: they just won't fit. There are "assembly instructions" in the manual but they're no help. I attach a couple of pics. Firstly, the covers for each lens are not the same way round - please see the pic for what I mean. They're not symmetrical. And however much I try to get them to fit the objectives, they just seem too large. One pic shows them compared with a ruler. Can anyone who owns a pair tell me if they seem the right size for the 10x42? I'm wondering if Swarovski included covers for the 10x50 in error.

I'll contact Swarovski if necessary, but this issue is difficult to describe precisely.

Thanks for any help!

John

Attachments

• Objective covers.JPG
    Objective covers.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Objective cover size.JPG
    Objective cover size.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 124
John:

Mine measure the same for mine. They work well for me.

You need to stretch the tether over the armor first, then push the cover into place.
I hope you get these sorted.

Jerry

The objective covers for my 8x32 EL SV are also a poor fit. They seem to never want to stay on. My advice is to ditch the objective covers, because they aren't really needed.

HN

Think its' sorted

Thank you Jerry. It turns out I hadn't pulled the covers apart - I thought there was only one cover, but of course there are two when you pull them apart from each other. Doh! Do I feel daft now. I was going to delete the question, but you got your reply in fast!

My career here at BF has got off to a shaky start. Firstly I was stringing Herring Gull for Yellow-legged, and now this. Oh dear.

Anyway, all is well now! Thanks very much, and of course "good birding" to you.

Hi All

My new 10x42s arrived today. I'll post another time about the image quality etc (briefly, it's excellent).

After ages trying, I've finally fitted the carrying strap - very fiddly, but done now.

The remaining thing I can't get my head round is the objective covers: they just won't fit. There are "assembly instructions" in the manual but they're no help. I attach a couple of pics. Firstly, the covers for each lens are not the same way round - please see the pic for what I mean. They're not symmetrical. And however much I try to get them to fit the objectives, they just seem too large. One pic shows them compared with a ruler. Can anyone who owns a pair tell me if they seem the right size for the 10x42? I'm wondering if Swarovski included covers for the 10x50 in error.

I'll contact Swarovski if necessary, but this issue is difficult to describe precisely.

Thanks for any help!

John

Hi John,

Just to make sure, you do know you have posted a picture of the 2 objective covers "hand in hand" attached to each other? When you seperate them, you can stretch the ring, and put it over the objectives. The lid is pressed in the objectives. Should work|=)|
Enjoy your new bin:t:

Kind regards,

Gijs

Last edited:
Hi John,

Just to make sure, you do know you have posted a picture of the 2 objective covers "hand in hand" attached to each other? When you seperate them, you can stretch the ring, and put it over the objectives. The lid is pressed in the objectives. Should work|=)|

Kind regards,

Gijs

I only use mine (untethered) when the glasses aren't around my neck.

Don't want them flapping and flopping around under the binocular.

Hi John,

Kind regards,

Gijs
Thank you Gijs. You nailed the problem: I hadn't understood that there were two covers which had to be separated, and then as you say, the ring had to be stretched round each objective. It's a tight fit, but sorted now. I'd failed to appreciate the principle of how these covers are designed to work, and that the idea is to keep them attached all the time.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply, and best wishes.

John

The objective covers for my 8x32 EL SV are also a poor fit. They seem to never want to stay on. My advice is to ditch the objective covers, because they aren't really needed.

HN
Thank you HN. They're attached now, but it was quite a job stretching the rubber ring that goes round the bins. I'll leave them attached in the hope they'll stay in place, but if they start becoming a problem I'll probably ditch them as you've done on the 8x32s.

Tomorrow I'll actually start watching some birds with them!

Cheers

John

I only use mine (untethered) when the glasses aren't around my neck.

Don't want them flapping and flopping around under the binocular.
Thank you - having actually got them to fit at last, I'll leave them tethered for a couple of days and see how it goes, but if they start becoming tiresome, I'll detach them as you do.

Thanks for your reply, and good birding!

John

Happens Often!

Thank you Jerry. It turns out I hadn't pulled the covers apart - I thought there was only one cover, but of course there are two when you pull them apart from each other. Doh! Do I feel daft now.

You know John, I had the phone # out and was about ready to make a call to Swaro after receiving my 10x42 SLC's with only "one" objective cover in the box. Even went through the packaging figuring I must have dropped one or...Oh, There It IS, hehe! :-O

Yea, they do fit tightly, Especially to Each Other! |:D|

Enjoy your SV's,

Ted

You know John, I had the phone # out and was about ready to make a call to Swaro after receiving my 10x42 SLC's with only "one" objective cover in the box. Even went through the packaging figuring I must have dropped one or...Oh, There It IS, hehe! :-O

Yea, they do fit tightly, Especially to Each Other! |:D|

Enjoy your SV's,

Ted
Glad to know I'm not the only one to have had this difficulty, Ted. I went through the business of checking and re-checking the packaging.... but all's well that ends well.

Comparing them with the pair I've used since 1990 - Swarovski Habicht 10x40s (the "Diana" model, which I once read were the bins used by the Everest expedition in 1952) these are considerably better, as they should be!

Good luck and good birding

John

Hi John, good to see you have this one sorted. I did this same as HN - ditched mine after a few attempts to stretch the rubber ring over the objective barrel. I really like simplicity and minimalistic approach and wouldn't be happy with the objective cover hanging down the barrel while glassing. One option I considered is to cut of the rubber ring and just end up with the objective cover.

Cheers
Mark

Hi John, good to see you have this one sorted. I did this same as HN - ditched mine after a few attempts to stretch the rubber ring over the objective barrel. I really like simplicity and minimalistic approach and wouldn't be happy with the objective cover hanging down the barrel while glassing. One option I considered is to cut of the rubber ring and just end up with the objective cover.

Cheers
Mark
Thanks KP, you and HN are right. The covers are a nuisance dangling off the end, so despite the time and effort expended yesterday on fitting the rubber rings, I've just removed them. I might well decide to snip the rings off, but will leave it a little while... having had them less than 24 hours I'm reluctant to start modifying anything irreversibly.

Anyway the brightness and clarity are great and I'm very happy. And it's good to know there are helpful people on BF ready to offer advice.

Cheers

John

Thanks KP, you and HN are right. The covers are a nuisance dangling off the end, so despite the time and effort expended yesterday on fitting the rubber rings, I've just removed them. I might well decide to snip the rings off, but will leave it a little while... having had them less than 24 hours I'm reluctant to start modifying anything irreversibly.

Anyway the brightness and clarity are great and I'm very happy. And it's good to know there are helpful people on BF ready to offer advice.

Cheers

John

Great that you are enjoying this. It will be good to have some feed back from you on image quality of these binocular. Did you observe rolling ball effect. I am also planing to buy 10*42 SV and your input on it will be of great help. At times I think if I can afford weight of 10*50 SV .

Great that you are enjoying this. It will be good to have some feed back from you on image quality of these binocular. Did you observe rolling ball effect. I am also planing to buy 10*42 SV and your input on it will be of great help. At times I think if I can afford weight of 10*50 SV .
Thanks Sanjay. I think you'd like them! Most people clearly do. I haven't looked through a pair of Zeiss or Leica in recent years, so can only compare them directly with my old Swarovski Habicht 10x40s. Those were very good in their day, but the 10x42 SVs are obviously much brighter, a touch sharper, and also have a larger field of view (6.4° as opposed to 6.2°, which doesn't sound a big difference but does give a significantly wider view). Testing my two pairs on a sheet of newspaper, there is text which I can't quite make out on my old pair but which is clearly readable through the SVs.

You'd no doubt get a slightly brighter image if you went for the 8.5x42s, or the 10x50s, but I chose the 10x42s because of the higher magnification than the former, while being less heavy (I assume) than the latter.

There's a useful review of the 10x42s here:

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/channel/reviewitem.asp?c=11&review=2857

So they are the sharpest I've ever looked through, and there is no colour cast that I can see (my old ones now give a dull image by comparison, with a sort of slightly yellowish cast I'd never noticed before). The flat-field lenses seems as good as claimed, with consistent contrast and sharpness right to the edge.

I looked through them for quite a while before remembering the reported "rolling ball effect". I can see what people mean when I actively look for it, but it's not a problem. To my eye, it's only detectable when raising or lowering the bins, not when panning horizontally, and even then it's not obtrusive. The majority of users don't seem to have a problem with it.

There have also been reports on BF of trouble with the focusing wheel - too stiff, or more resistance when turning it one way than another. Mine seem perfect in that respect: they focus smoothly and easily.

I hope this may have been some use to you, and that you're happy with them if you do get a pair.

Best regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back