• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

abberton reservoir vs hanningfield reservoir (1 Viewer)

silvercrest

ive often wondered why abberton reservoir gets visited by more birds (quantity) than hanninfield reservoir. even abberton can be empty on some trips but hanningfield is plain frustrating. ive been to haningfield a few times and there just hasnt been much out on the reservoir. abberton is the same distance north of the blackwater as hanningfield is south of the blackwater,and both reservoirs are about the same distance inland from the coast, it seems to me, looking at the map. theyre both roughly the same latitude so that wouldnt be a factor. i wonder if the difference is whats between the reservoirs and the coast? more marsh in abbertons case and more built up in hanningfields case? so theres a bridge from the coast to abberton, but not hanninfield? im not claiming to know, im just wondering.of course, there are other factors like abberton has reed-beds etc. anyone got any other thoughts about it?

Abberton is far closer to the coast, and the coast it's closer to seems to be more productive - just a couple of miles to Old Hall, Abbotts Hall, Tollesbury Wick, etc. Hanningfield is nearer less coast, too: In a straight line is may be just as close to tidal waters, but those waters are only the upper reaches of a river, whereas Abberton has open the sea and a large area of managed marshland/saltings within a short distance.

My personal theory is also that the shape of the res's makes a difference: Hanningfield is pretty well round, and so when watching for birds on the other side of the lake you're looking on average further than you do at any time Abberton. Abberton has more of a "fingered" shape, so you never really look more than half a mile unless you're looking along one of the "fingers". Perhaps the disparity in birds seen is partly down to this difference - Abberton is an "easier" site.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Hanningfield also has a leisure fishing facility, and is in general much more used by the public than Abberton, which may discourage some birds.
Having said that it can throw up surprises. I have seen Black Terns there and once counted 53 roosting Herons.
Tom

It's because Hanningfield is near Chelmsford - they prefer not to be near us as we're a bit 'London overspill'... it's more posh at Abberton! ;)

I think James and Tom have hit on it, the shape and coast proximity and the quieter nature of Abberton probably play a part. Must admit, I've yet to visit either of them! :eek!:

One important factor to do with water bodies is the depth and the nature of the water/bottom. All those thousands of ducks etc jammed in at Abberton must be having good feeding, I'm sure that Hanningfield would support more if there was less disturbance, but how many more...? Maybe Hanningfield is a different depth, maybe has a whole different ecology. Don't know.

As regards quality, of course Hanningfield has had its birds, not that I've seen any (eg Blue-winged Teal, Pectoral Sandpiper), although I saw Black Terns there a few years back too, and things like BN Grebe, YL Gull etc.

Last edited:
One important factor to do with water bodies is the depth and the nature of the water/bottom. All those thousands of ducks etc jammed in at Abberton must be having good feeding, I'm sure that Hanningfield would support more if there was less disturbance, but how many more...? Maybe Hanningfield is a different depth, maybe has a whole different ecology. Don't know.

As regards quality, of course Hanningfield has had its birds, not that I've seen any (eg Blue-winged Teal, Pectoral Sandpiper), although I saw Black Terns there a few years back too, and things like BN Grebe, YL Gull etc.

hi, does anyone know what the depths of the two reservoirs are and whats on the botom of each reservoir? isnt there a village under Hanningfield reservoir?

Not sure but yes, I think there is a village under there. I did have an image file of an old map of the area pre-reservoir but am not sure what I've done with it. :(

the flooded village of hanningfield reservoir was Peasdown. no buildings were left standing. but an earth moving machine was left in situ and concreted over prior to flooding - wikepedia

I seem to recall that Hanningfield has more of a history of attracting sea ducks, which I could never understand why. Saw my first Velvet Scoter there.

A quick bit of research on the internet, not sure how reliable the data is, but..

Hanningfield max depth = 16.76m and av depth = 7.62m
Abberton max depth = 16m (will be changing soon obviously) and av depth 4.7m

Possibly the deeper average could explain more sea ducks and less birds overall, although at the right time of year I have found both to be full of birds.

Malvin.

Hanningfield res what can i say, i only went once that was enough for me although i see black terns there it certainly doent warrant another visit shame but thats the way it is there ghostly quiet for birds great if you like to see people walking around.
As for Abberton great hit always worth a visit just look back in recent years what has turned up there from Ospreys to black-winged stilts what else can you say and to throw it in Old-hall marshes up the road ..

yeah, if you get fedup with abberton you can always nip over to old hall, or even Mersea, Colne pt (never been to colne pt myself although ive seen it from mersea); but where can you go near to Hanningfield if you get fed up with it there? so thats another plus for abberton - maybe the birds feel the same way too. and i personally get put off by the people wandering around hanningfield, especially crowds of kids. it is an education centre for kids, ive no problem with that, it just puts me off my birdwatching thats all.

I seem to recall that Hanningfield has more of a history of attracting sea ducks, which I could never understand why. Saw my first Velvet Scoter there.

A quick bit of research on the internet, not sure how reliable the data is, but..

Hanningfield max depth = 16.76m and av depth = 7.62m
Abberton max depth = 16m (will be changing soon obviously) and av depth 4.7m

Possibly the deeper average could explain more sea ducks and less birds overall, although at the right time of year I have found both to be full of birds.

Malvin.

thanx for that - so Hanningfield is a bit deeper then. i also looked on the internet and read that Hanningfield gets the sea ducks and Abberton doesnt. theres another interesting line of speculation and enquiry

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back