• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7.5 min of Pure Pleasure (1 Viewer)

colleenc

I promise you will love this...

Carlos de Haes....Belgium born Spanish impressionist, 1865-1898...what a wonder, he single handedly turned Spanish painters to the outdoors, working from life, they were all still stuck in Historical Painting and considered landscape beneath them...look at his skies and seas!

Sorry have been neglecting the birds due to an immersion in landscape so I can give them a place to fly and live....it's a cram course and a lot to learn as I'm doing it plein air...and I'm not much good at it yet, but I will be as soon as I get enough practice. :smoke:

You're not wrong, that was lovely.

I can clearly see his influence in the paintings of another Spanish artist who's work I greatly admire:

http://sosa2.com/Landscapes/

I'm off on hols next week and I'm planning on some plein air landscapes myself, I might post them when I get back depending on how they turn out!

Mike

have fun! if you'll post some plein air I will (gulp, it's pretty bad right now)

Ha! Ha! I'm willing to bet that yours is better than mine! B :)

I do love the whole process though. It's a shame I only really get the time when I'm away in Norfolk.

Mike

humbling isn't it to be a competent painter, and then when going plein air to start at first grade again...there are a lot of "tricks" to it I'm finding out and the internet has some great demos and blogs that really help I like this one tho his style is very different than mine http://bradteare.blogspot.com, and this one http://stapletonkearns.blogspot.com/, and Gurney's Journey has some great stuff too.

I've been working nearly every day, and it's starting to come...just like the birds when I began

Thanks for the links Colleen, I'll give them a good look when I get back from my hols, even though it'll be a bit late by then I guess!

Mike

well you will discover some of this by painting, but having it spelled out is a way to confirm it.....By far the best thing I came across is John Carlson Guide to Landscape Painting written about 1912...every landscape painter but me has read it but me it seems. so maybe you know it.
and it was only $9. He really spells it out and makes it clear in principal...not a how to paint, but how to see and translate.

Have a great time off!

Thanks for the links Colleen, I'll give them a good look when I get back from my hols, even though it'll be a bit late by then I guess!

Mike

oh man- its all so interesting

any good links to someone painting leaves in oils would go down very well in Ed corner- the sort where artist is quite close to or even in the foliage: not standing back for the bigger landscape

of course I could should do some googling myself- but if you happen to have noticed any good links or exemplars..

I don't, right now I'm standing back trying for the big picture....and all the artists I love paint masses more than leaves...try Carl Brenders The world champ at detail....mostly he air brushes a bg then paints every twig rock and leaf on that.....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back