• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Pro Stalk ED (1 Viewer)

Haven't used them or heard of anyone that has. New model maybe?

I did try the 8x56 Meopta so I can see the allure of oversized objective binoculars. The image is exceptionally bright.

I am curious about the field of view figure on the 8x56. It is listed at 142 meters. That is approximately 426 feet+. I have never heard of an 8x56 with that size field of view. It is truly that large and the edge sharpness is good then it would be truly something to behold. I didn't look at the price but if it is priced right.....

These look guilty until proven innocent to me. The FOV spec could simply be exaggerated (wouldn't be the first time), but they are so short I'm inclined to think they could have the stated field (a small 8.1 degree aerial image could fit within a reasonably sized eyepiece field stop). But if that's true they might have not the 56mm aperture. I'm sure there's a 56mm lens up front, but I'm less sure that the light cone from an ultra fast 56mm objective won't be clipped by the prism aperture (also wouldn't be the first time). Even if that's true it's not all bad. They would certainly be better binoculars stopped down to 40-50mm.

Hi Henry and Frank

Yes the more i think about it the less models i can recall with 56mm fronts and 142m fov

Henry you know the optical equations etc as well as anyone so i take on board the points you make

Will maybe check out local dealers in my area for a look at or through one of these

Regards
RichT

I did find them on one or two obscure American websites. The price was between $300 and $370 if I remember correctly.

I've just bought a pair of these about 15mins ago. Hawke Pro-Staff 8x56 ED.

Fov 320ft marked on the focus wheel.

I got them in a local shop that I had forgotten was there? Never set eyes on them before then. The proprietor had bought them for himself but said he would get another pair.

I liked them straight off and he gave me a good price. I bought them to have something while my Leica 10x32 are in for repair but these will do me for low light when the Leica is not best.

Only thing I don't like so far is the diopter setting under the focus wheel. The little zero point marker is raised to help set the diopter and its a little sharp and gets in the way of using 2 fingers to focus.

So there you are, thats whats not to like. Everything else for this price is to like very much. They don't even seem large or heavy and this is comming from some-one who does *not* like large bins.

I is happy.

Any questions I will try and help.

Last edited:
Hi Clive

Interesting that the fov figure for the 8 x is less than i originally saw quoted
Perhaps the 10 x is also less than quoted
I can see they have impressed you

Regards
RichT

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back