• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas (2 Viewers)

Well to Lee and everyone else, let me add my wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well.

Lee, I bought myself a fairly expensive, quite competent computer too, but it does not have Windows, or Mac. Well it does on one SSD, but the other SSD is where I work.

Last edited:
Well to Lee and everyone else, let me add my wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well.

Lee, I bought myself a fairly expensive, quite competent computer too, but it does not have Windows, or Mac. Well it does on one SSD, but the other SSD is where I work.

Well Steve, don't keep us guessing. What does the SSD that you work on actually run? Linux? Budweiser?

Lee

Well Steve, don't keep us guessing. What does the SSD that you work on actually run? Linux? Budweiser?

Lee
My avatar is Tux the Linux Penguin. My Linux os (distro for distribution) on that machine is Fedora. Linux distros are like binoculars there are too many to choose from. ;)

For some strange reason it runs less well after a Budweiser or three.

Last edited:
Sancho
When our not so delightful Empire-building ancestors got tired of kicking the Irish about they went and 'conquered India' and needed something to drink for the troops that would mean they didn't have to rely on local water all of the time and would not go 'off' on the voyage to India or for a few months after arrival. To do this they upped the alcoholic content of not too strongly hopped pale beer and it worked nicely. Hence it was no longer just Pale Ale, but India Pale Ale. At least this was the explanation I read in the 1980's when got into 'studying' beer as well as drinking it.

Nowadays IPA comes with a host of different flavours and strengths.

You are welcome to join me and Dennis for a few when he flies in on Airforce 99.

Cheers/Slainte/Kipis/Prosit

Lee
Silver Linings, eh? As a youngster I went to work in London. Me and my mates thought it was funny that a tap-beer in the local pubs was called 'ESB'...it was coincidentally the acronym of the State electricity-provider in Ireland, the Electricity Supply Board (ESB). Can't remember what it was like....oddly, I can't remember much from them days...;)

Well, I don't need my arm twisting to agree with you. Adnams bitter from our south-eastern county of Suffolk is probably my favourite although Marston's Pedigree is right up there too, as is Theakston's Bitter. In fact for a winter drink Theakston's Old Peculier is fantastic while in the summer a chilled Newcastle Brown is just the ticket.

When are you coming?

Lee
You obviously inbibe quite a few brews to be that knowledgeable in zythology. In fact I would say you are a zythologist. I will pop right over the pond asap. I never turn down a free brew.

Thanks Lee! And Dennis, old buddy...how are you? Hope you and C have an excellent Christmas. Incidentally, I've moved on from the English ales to what our English neighbours call 'iPA'...India Pale Ale. No idea where the name comes from, but lovely stuff. I'll have one in your (and C's) honour on the day.
Good to hear from you my Irish buddy. I am back to liking Swarovski's with my new CL 8x30. It even has a smooth focus. Kiss the Blarney Stone for me would you? I need the gift of eloquence. Maybe my posts would improve.

Sancho
When our not so delightful Empire-building ancestors got tired of kicking the Irish about they went and 'conquered India' and needed something to drink for the troops that would mean they didn't have to rely on local water all of the time and would not go 'off' on the voyage to India or for a few months after arrival. To do this they upped the alcoholic content of not too strongly hopped pale beer and it worked nicely. Hence it was no longer just Pale Ale, but India Pale Ale. At least this was the explanation I read in the 1980's when got into 'studying' beer as well as drinking it.

Nowadays IPA comes with a host of different flavours and strengths.

You are welcome to join me and Dennis for a few when he flies in on Airforce 99.

Cheers/Slainte/Kipis/Prosit

Lee
I knew you were a Zythologist.

H i Lee,

Is this what you mean ? !! I grew up a half an hour's drive from Southwold and Adnams is still my favourite pint of bitter.

Best wishes to all.

Cheers,

Doug.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
You obviously inbibe quite a few brews to be that knowledgeable in zythology. In fact I would say you are a zythologist. I will pop right over the pond asap. I never turn down a free brew.

I was a sales engineer for about 25 years and sometimes drove 40,000 miles in a year, not only in the UK but much of western Europe and so was staying in hotels about 190 nights per year. I got to sample a wide variety of brews!
These days I do much less 'research'.

Lee

H i Lee,

Is this what you mean ? !! I grew up a half an hour's drive from Southwold and Adnams is still my favourite pint of bitter.

Best wishes to all.

Cheers,

Doug.....

Hi Doug

No, I haven't tried Lighthouse and in fact I haven't tried Adnams Southwold Bitter (which is what I was referring to) in bottles either. I first tried Southwold Bitter in about 1973 when on holiday in Saxmundham just down the road from Southwold and have stayed just across the river from Southwold in Walberswick many times.

Adnams Broadside is a nice beer too and in fact I haven't yet tried an Adnams brew that I haven't enjoyed although I have avoided the fashionable fruit-flavoured ones.

Season's Greetings.

Lee

Back in the 70s, Adnams was a 3-beer brewery: bitter, mild and old ale in winter, with Nut Brown, Fisherman's Brown and Tally-ho (barley wine) in bottles (as well as a pale bottled one i've forgotten the name of, but might have been Champion) Now there's Lighthouse, Ghost Ship and several others, plus the various gins and vodkas. We had a tradition at this time of year of walking down the beach from Lowestoft, loading up like camels in Southwold then getting the last bus back.
I have now converted to the excellent Chaucer bitter at the Green Dragon in Bungay, and Adnams have excommunicated me.
A cool yule to y'all!

Back in the 70s, Adnams was a 3-beer brewery: bitter, mild and old ale in winter, with Nut Brown, Fisherman's Brown and Tally-ho (barley wine) in bottles (as well as a pale bottled one i've forgotten the name of, but might have been Champion) Now there's Lighthouse, Ghost Ship and several others, plus the various gins and vodkas. We had a tradition at this time of year of walking down the beach from Lowestoft, loading up like camels in Southwold then getting the last bus back.
I have now converted to the excellent Chaucer bitter at the Green Dragon in Bungay, and Adnams have excommunicated me.
A cool yule to y'all!

Wow Paddy your post took me back a few decades. Yes, I remember the Nut Brown, Tally Ho and Champion, all excellent and better than most brews coming from my native Sheffield at the time.

You guys and especially Dennis will be pleased to hear that you have inspired me to buy a bottle of Adnams Southwold Bitter to try out on Christmas Day! :t:

Lee

Wow Paddy your post took me back a few decades. Yes, I remember the Nut Brown, Tally Ho and Champion, all excellent and better than most brews coming from my native Sheffield at the time.

You guys and especially Dennis will be pleased to hear that you have inspired me to buy a bottle of Adnams Southwold Bitter to try out on Christmas Day! :t:

Lee

Just one, Lee? Won't even touch the sides!
Also know about the Southwold/Sheffield comparison - i lived there for 2 years. It was Wards Mild i gravitated to, which i guess is now an 'ex-brew'.....

Just one, Lee? Won't even touch the sides!
Also know about the Southwold/Sheffield comparison - i lived there for 2 years. It was Wards Mild i gravitated to, which i guess is now an 'ex-brew'.....

Yes the Wards brewery closed some years back. Wards Bitter and Mild were the best Sheffield had at the time. Today we have the Kelham Island Brewery which has a great reputation but I haven't tried their brews yet.

Lee

Not Xmas, but this year

-12x36 and 7x50s to son and daughter in law,
-10x40s to grandson,
-6.5x21 to share with younger grandkids

I have more optics than I have time to use,
and like to spread the joy to family

edj

Nice thought EDJ.

I gave my brother my Canon 12x36 II IS binos. He never thought that he would ever own an 'expensive' pair of binos. Needless to say, he is really enjoying them.

Doug.......

Steve:

You had me worried for a minute, I am not familiar with what SSD means, and I quickly
thought of something else with a similar abbreviation, S*D, and now I am greatly relieved. ;)

I also want to wish you, and all the others on here, a Merry Christmas and
a happy new year.

Jerry

Steve:

You had me worried for a minute, I am not familiar with what SSD means, and I quickly
thought of something else with a similar abbreviation, S*D, and now I am greatly relieved. ;)

I also want to wish you, and all the others on here, a Merry Christmas and
a happy new year.

Jerry

Jerry,

I have to admit i never thought about interpreting SSD (solid state drive) that way. Anyway I got a laugh out of it. Merry Christmas to you as well

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back