• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Egret or hybrid in Barbados (1 Viewer)

Niels,
I'm not familiar with any crosses between these two birds so these are only my thoughts.
The bird appears to be an adult in breeding plumage and just has the two long filoplumes which is typical of Little Egret. I would expect a cross with Snowy to show some of the typical shaggy plumes from the Snowy parent.

As to bill length, while it does appear a little short, I did a rough measurement on bill to head length on this photo and another Little Egret photo and they were about the same ratio.

So, I'd vote for Little Egret but will be interested to see what others think.

Thanks Dave.
I do not believe it is in full breeding plumage: the plumes were in real life not as long as they have been in other Little Egrets I have seen. It might be growing them back and getting into full breeding before too long though.

Behavior: it was feeding off something in these trees, insects?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back