• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bonelli´s eagle or honey buzzard? From Spain (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I took a photo of raptor from quite large distance in Andalucia, Spain (Sierra Nevada mountains). I didn´t watch it by a scope, so all information I have is this picture. And that is the problem - I cannot decide whether it is a Honey Buzzard or Bonelli´s Eagle. It seems ridiculous as these two raptors are very different, but the picture is of a poor quality - the birds has light belly (like Bonelli´s Eagle), but then the shape ... I simply don´t know.

I sent the picture to some people who have experience with birdwatching in Spain and the score is 2:2 :), so .... is there anyone who would help me?

Thanks, Vaclav John

Attachments

• IMG_8517_2.jpg
    IMG_8517_2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 213
Why not Long-legged BUzzard or vulpinus Common Buzzard, seems to have a red tail, doesn't look like a Honey Buzzard

A

I agree that this is a Bonelli's Eagle. There is no problem with this one but as a general rule it would be helpful to give the date of the sighting. A Honey Buzzard is only at all likely during April-September in this region and then only on passage.

No red tail for me, Andy so it may be time to check your monitor's settings! The shape is not at all like Buteos or Pernis but is spot on for Bonelli's and looking carefully you can even discern that species' diagnostic markings. As Ernest reminds us, giving details of date as well as the location can be very helpful.

Thanks a lot,

the date is 29 or 30th April, and the elevation above sea level is around 1500 m. I watched it only for a few seconds and I took a picture during that time. It was circling quite high and then it flew away across the mountain ridge. There were three of us who watched it, my picture is the only one. The place of observations was nearby Trevélez village.

Four days after this we had Bonelli´s Eagle for sure circling nearby Grazelama (Sierra de Grazalema Mountains). On the contrary 3 days before we had spotted a flock of about 20 Honey Buzzards nearby Ronda.

Vaclav John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back