• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some stuff from Morroco ! (1 Viewer)

well the one thing we should all take from this maybe is
if you become in the privaliged position of being looked up to
in any field, It doesn't take much just to be a little more considerate
to people with your coments to aspiring artists etc. the things
you say and do can have a lasting affect on others even
if you are'nt totally aware. I didn't want this to be a personal attack on Bruce
more an observation on how sometimes the elite or establishment or
whatever you will ,can unwitingly tread on peoples expectations and
willingness to be involved with organizations such as the SWLA.

I have never felt that I have missed out on not exhibiting with them
and I has been my choice after all. I could have just as easily have said
" ******** to em and exhibited at every one of their events.
I just chose a different path,

Totally blown away by your fieldwork Andy.

Met Bruce Pearson once too. He was OK to chat to, he didn't put me or my work down except to say that I was 'walking the same path as everyone else' and I should try to be different. Sorry Bruce, I like the view from my path.

I've never gone in for SWLA based on that the comments from that meeting and the fact that I couldn't afford it!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more fieldwork from Morrocco or anywhere else for that matter!

Woody

Totally blown away by your fieldwork Andy.

Met Bruce Pearson once too. He was OK to chat to, he didn't put me or my work down except to say that I was 'walking the same path as everyone else' and I should try to be different. Sorry Bruce, I like the view from my path.

I've never gone in for SWLA based on that the comments from that meeting and the fact that I couldn't afford it!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more fieldwork from Morrocco or anywhere else for that matter!

Woody

Strange comment from Bruce considering he's on a very similar path! I don't mean this in any derogatory way to you woody, but lets face it , its very difficult to be radically different when painting birds.!
Phil.

Last edited:
Guy's need some opinions on which sketch to take on for a
large painting I'm planning. Its going to be of Black bellied Sandgrouse
in flight there will be alot of movement in the piece but I'm struggling
to choose which of the drawings I've done so far to develope into the end
painting

Any Thoughts Welcome, Thanks Andy;)

Attachments

• sandgrouse-Comp-1.jpg
    sandgrouse-Comp-1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 154
  • sandgrouse-comp-2.jpg
    sandgrouse-comp-2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 168
Guy's need some opinions on which sketch to take on for a
large painting I'm planning. Its going to be of Black bellied Sandgrouse
in flight there will be alot of movement in the piece but I'm struggling
to choose which of the drawings I've done so far to develope into the end
painting

Any Thoughts Welcome, Thanks Andy;)

My money would be on the second sketch with the birds coming out at the viewer. I know you've had success with similar viewpoints in the past and I reckon it would work just as well. The cropping on the left would be very brave and, just in my humble opinion, perhaps the 'headcropped' bird could be a little further out of frame? You are the master though and it's only my opinion. And I don't see a falcon in pursuit! ;)

Woody

Before I read Woodys reply I was also going to suggest the second one - less of a safe composition . Sure you can make it wark really well.

second one for me, it's very dynamic indeed. Very envious of the sketches, all I ever managed of bb sandgrouse was an overhead sketch. Looking forward to seeing how this one develops.

second one for me, it's very dynamic indeed. Very envious of the sketches, all I ever managed of bb sandgrouse was an overhead sketch. Looking forward to seeing how this one develops.

Another vote for the second one, though both are excellent!

I like them both Andy - tremendous preparatory work, but in the second one, I'm sure I can hear the whistle of their wings!

Second one is a lot more dynamic and has a lot more scope for depth. First sketch is great but it a lot flatter. Think the second helps convey these birds better with regard to speed and habitat will pose less problems in this comp as you can fade it out a little and not have to wory so much about it...

Thanks Everyone for your coments and input.

" will go with the audience
chris on this one the answer is Sketch B."

Now I've got to start the Piece!!

Guy's Thought I would carry on with some of my Morrocan field
work and start putting them into more finished paintings.

I have started the sandgrouse painting but not much to show you
on that one but I did get the Moussier's Redstart finished.
I wanted to try and keep the freshness of the field work
so did a composit piece using the field sketches.

Hope you like, Is there anything you would have done differently??

I am planning to do a full painting featuring the Moussier's but
still at the planning stage.

also to come a Hoopoe Lark and Others.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 164
Thanks Everyone for your coments and input.

" will go with the audience
chris on this one the answer is Sketch B."

Now I've got to start the Piece!!

I've just belatedly seen this (the sandgrouse)- very fine and another vote for B. One comment- the wing shapes and in particular the wingtips are very distinctly drawn on these- are you going to blur them in the painting, to give the birds yet more whizz?

I've just belatedly seen this (the sandgrouse)- very fine and another vote for B. One comment- the wing shapes and in particular the wingtips are very distinctly drawn on these- are you going to blur them in the painting, to give the birds yet more whizz?

Probably Ed as I want to give the feeling of great speed and
movement. Funny some people love it or hate it when you
blur to suggest movement. Because its some thing I have developed
in my work onty in the last few years. (all my early stuff I think was
to stiff and wooden, the birds just hung in the air.) Some of my
clients only like my earlier pieces. But each to there own.

The important thing with art is not to stand still but
to be constantly re evaluating your work pushing in
slightly different directions. then your true style will
emerge.

I'll try and get the Sand grouse finished soon and post
the results.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back