• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PF-80ED which eye piece rof color bands? (1 Viewer)

aykbobcat

Hello. This is my first post here.

I'm a researchers working with black capped chickadees and I will likely buy two Pentax PF-80ED for identifying chickadees based on colour bands of birds at feeders.

I have a quote for two PF-80ED scopes with the 15-48xl eyepieces.

I know the scopes are good for their price but I'm not sure what would be the best eyepiece to purchase for our application.

I'd be happy to get feedback from experienced users.

Thanks

I think the eyepiece you mentioned is an above average quality eyepiece. If memory serves me correctly the XL series does utilize extra low dispersion glass in the design so you should be able to obtain sharp, color correct images. That ability to see fine detail should suit your particular needs quite well.

Short of the SMC zoom which is expensive ($400+ US) I am not really familiar with another zoom that might be better for that particular scope. The Vixen Lanthanum zoom might be a less expensive but optically equal performer. Others may be able to comment further on that one.

aykbobcat,

I am not sure which zoom eyepiece you are considering.

Pentax makes two zoom eyepieces, neither of which are called an XL nor would yield a 15X-48X range of magnification on a PF-80ED.

The SMC Zoom has a focal length of 8-24mm, which yields 20X-60X on the PF-80ED. On a PF-65ED II this eyepiece would yield 16X-48X.

The XF zoom has a focal length of 6.5-19.5mm, which yields 26X-78X on a PF-80ED. On a PF-65ED II this eyepiece would yield 20X-60X.

The SMC has an eye relief of 18-22mm versus 11-15mm for the XF. Even if you do not wear eye glasses a larger eye relief will allow for more relaxed viewing for long periods.

Field of view is similar and probably not an issue as you are looking at fixed locations rather than trying to find moving birds.

The SMC Zoom eyepiece is the one that is typically packaged with the PF-80ED.

I have a PF-80ED and the SMC zoom. I also have an XW14, which yields 36X but has a wider field of view than the zoom does at 20X.

I am very happy with the SMC zoom. I originally bought the XW14 to adapt to digiscoping, but depending on the situation it is getting more visual use as well.

The XW eyepieces would give a superior view to the SMC zoom but they are not cheap either. It is possible that buying the scope "body only" and a separate XW eyepiece could be more expensive than an SMC / scope package deal. You mentioned that you are buying two scopes. You could always mount a zoom on one and a fixed focal length on the other.

I would imagine that color bands on Chickadees are pretty small. How far away are your feeder?

Mike

Another option (to complicate matters) is buying regular astro style 1.25" EPs and pick your magnification desired for the usage.

The question is will you be in a weather protected environment (a hide?).

How much do you need to save money?

One possible option (it works for non-researchers!) is to get the scope body and a selection of EPs and evaluate them for your particular use. And return the others. Most optics sellers should be able to accommodate this.

One possible option (it works for non-researchers!) is to get the scope body and a selection of EPs and evaluate them for your particular use. And return the others. Most optics sellers should be able to accommodate this.

Excellent suggestion and one of the reasons why I love the Pentax series of spotters. So many combinations/options out there in a variety of different price ranges.

It seems to me that one doesn't need a wide field of view to ID bands. A simple Plossl EP will deliver a very sharp image at about 50 degree AFOV.
Even a premium one from say, TeleVue, is only about $90.

The focal length of the PF80 is 504mm.

Magnification = Scope's FL / Eyepiece FL so an 8mm Plossl will yield 63x and an 11mm will give 46x, as two examples. Eye relief on (short) Plossls usually isn't too great so that may be an issue.

Keep in mind that astro EPs typically are not waterproof if that matters to you, though the Pentax' are.

Last edited:
OK thank you guys. I think I will ask for testing a few ep and see what we prefer. We will likely observed birds from a few meters away in a blind. So distance will be shore as bands are indeed very small.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back