• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another master-piece is ruined.... (1 Viewer)

I don't think it's the money thing for me (not entirely anyway) It's more the idea perpetuated by critics and galleries that detail, realism and craftsmanship are the enemies of all that makes good 'Art'. Why does an artist's work have to be abstracted to beyond the point of comprehesion for it to be considered 'worthy'?

Last summer I spent a long while in the Tate Modern trying to get my thoughts about 'modern Art' into some kind of order. I tried hard to look with an open mind, after all this stuff is held in high regard by what Robert Bateman refers to as the high priests of the critics' temple. Every piece on display had a lengthy explanation on the wall nearby and, in an effort to reach a level of understanding, I read many of them from start to finish. They were, without exception, almost totally incomprehensible. When a tiny section made any sense to me I would look at the piece with the benefit of that understanding, reasoning that I would be able to see with new eyes. But, alas, the piece would remain a bicycle on the floor that was spraypainted white, a row of very simply made pots that looked like they'd come from a GCSE class, or a collection of random crap culled from a bin bag on a council estate.

The implication is obviously that I, as a member of the proletariat, do not posess the same level of intellect posessed by the galleries and critics and that, no matter how hard they try with their explanations and protestations of greatness, I will never understand the important messages that these talented Artists are sending.

Reading back over what I've just said I realise that it must be true; I am a fool and I must apologise to the Emperor.

I am sorry Imperial Majesty, it is indeed the most magnificent suit of clothes I have ever been privileged enough to be permitted to see and I thank you for the gift of enlightenment.

Ever humble and ever in my place.

Mike

I find it all hysterically funny…

Some so called art critics are so far up their own talentless arses that they can no longer ‘see’ in my opinion…they swim around in a deluded nonsensical pond of their own intellectual making…I might be inclined to feel sorry for them if they were not such jerks who seem to look down upon what they perceive to be…uneducated lower beings…

I say ‘talentless’ art critics…but this is not strictly true of course…their ‘art’ is frequently one of manipulative deception in order to establish and consolidate their positions in the ‘art world’. They are great wordsmiths undoubtedly…but to me many are nothing more than intellectual hustlers…[similar to politicians]…and if I had the time I might despise them…

Personally I do see beauty in everyday objects and what most folk might call ‘rubbish’….so yes…I photograph them as they please my eyes for whatever reason…but I would not wish some silver tongued arty-farty twonk to either wax lyrical about the images and what they might mean...as words, in many cases, merely distract from visual impact…

I have looked again at Martin Kippenbergers works and I do find many of his pieces very interesting…[especially his self portraits]…

Ps…I love the fact that the janitor removed a stain from that piece of work…I would frame the bit of wood and call it ‘innocence’…:cat:

Pps…see attached my vulgar version of ‘a piece of cake’…[chuckle]…but is it art?….[who cares]..? Its melted now and gone forever....and i quite like that...;)

Right…now having woffled all that…I’m off to do some birding…!

http://username-beast.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• 021 - Copy 1.jpg
    021 - Copy 1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 45
Ok, for you collectors out there, if that was worth £690k just think what these are worth - and they have REAL leaks in the roof. I was lucky enough to inherit the first, and the second was crafted by the violin-maker who has a neighbouring allotment. C'mon guys, let's have some offers while we're still alive...

Mike

Brilliant bit of Brit humour there, British men and their garden sheds is part of our culture ........but I just cant make my mind up as to which one might go up in value in the future both look equally likely to do so , I hope they are not sold to quickly so I can have some time to think this dilemma through.

Last edited:
He may be good - but those prices Mark, please. It's no different to the ridiculous prices artworld-wannabees paid for 'art' done by elephants and chimps. It's a gimmick that cheapens art in my view. £16grand for a painting of a mosque taken from a photo on the internet...hmmmm

Strange world Art...

This photograph just fetched 2.7 million quid!! - http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddes...worlds-most-expensive-photographs-in-pictures

Imagine selling your entire exhibition in ten and a half minutes earning in excess of 100K and your only nine years old! - http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddes...n-boy-wonder-norfolk-landscapes?newsfeed=true
Mind you he is very good - http://www.picturecraftgallery.com/gallery.php

:'D

I wondered if that sale would end up in this thread! One of the comments where I originally read about it suggested that people who didn't understand it needed to read some academic journals on art so that they would understand it. Please let me know who's the first to do so here. I'm sure we can come up with some sort of prize.;)

As much as I think this is due to idiotic art theorists/historians/etc. I think the underlying cause is art as an investment. I've never felt interested enough to pursue this mainly because I have far better things to do. But I'd be willing to bet that much of it is due to people speculating in art as a means of financial investment. Once you've paid 6 figures or something in a bottle of urine you sure don't want to see the value of your investment go down. So you keep doing what you can to make sure prices stay up. In the financial world this is pretty close to a Ponzi scheme I'd say. Even if it's not I think that much of what has gone on in the art world for the last 25 years is really more due to financial speculation than anything else.

Not that that in anyway justifies it. Just makes it slightly more understandable.

........but I just cant make my mind up as to which one might go up in value in the future both look equally likely to do so , I hope they are not sold to quickly so I can have some time to think this dilemma through.

Relax, those two are mere trinkets to entice most discerning collectors such as your esteemed self into the market. The hot young talent of Cambridge Academy of Allotment Art have plenty more on offer - here's one I've been holding back, until I find another dish for the roof...

Mike

Attachments

• allot3 DSCN6755.JPG
    allot3 DSCN6755.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 56
Relax, those two are mere trinkets to entice most discerning collectors such as your esteemed self into the market. The hot young talent of Cambridge Academy of Allotment Art have plenty more on offer - here's one I've been holding back, until I find another dish for the roof...

Mike

class!!! very nice rhubarb too...mark

Turning into an extremely readable thread. Nice analysis, Ken - bang on the money ('scuse t'pun). Another very beautiful shack, Mike - really love these allotment-vernacular.

Mike

Wow, what would that be worth?

In light of the recent results for the 'Turnip' prize..... I have a piece in front of me now. You can't see it because it exists only as a quantum concept and to imprison it in form and matter would be to destroy its essence. I call it 'the agony of form' and it can be yours for just £5 million. :)

Oh for a set of Emporers new clothes...........

Seriously Andrew, you should enter! With the diatribe spouted by the pompous pr*cks in the paper about that frickin bin, you'd be a dead cert. It would be funny if it wasnt such self-indulgent crap

That's stupendous, and we're really tempted, but we could really do with something similar in blue so it goes with the curtains.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back