• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lighter Tripod (1 Viewer)

Phil

I am currently using a Manfrotto 055Nat2 tripod with a 128RC head. This is an excellent stable set up, but heavy. I am thinking of getting a lighter combination. I am considering either a Manfrotto 441 or 443. I would be grateful for any comment on these tripods or any other alternatives. For information I use a Zeiss Diascope 65. (This is a repost following the server change)

This is a rereply following the server change.

I've used a Manfrotto 441 with a 128 head for a couple of years now - stability fine except in very windy weather, but I use a heavy scope.

Tony

Phil said:
I am currently using a Manfrotto 055Nat2 tripod with a 128RC head. This is an excellent stable set up, but heavy. I am thinking of getting a lighter combination. I am considering either a Manfrotto 441 or 443. I would be grateful for any comment on these tripods or any other alternatives. For information I use a Zeiss Diascope 65. (This is a repost following the server change)

You might check my new thread in the scope section, concerning DinO. That Novoflex head is considerably lighter in weight than the 128RC.

Phil

I was using the same combination as you, my scope being a Leica 77APO,I changed over to the lighter Manfrotto 443 (using either the 200 or 128 head) about 10 months age and have never looked back. I find it an excellent combination of lightness and stability.

Mick Baron

I have had the Manfrotto 441 for three weeks now, and I am very happy with it. Takes a huge chunk out of the lugging.

gorank said:
Try the Manfrotto 700RC head instead, it is lighter (only 0,5kg), is more stable and has better ergonomics than the 128RC (ca 1 kg). Check it out at:
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=9&itemid=1968
Im no big fan of manfrotto stuff but the 700RC head is very nice. The 128RC head on the contrary, I cant see any reason in universe to use one...

I think the Manfrotto 128RC is a very good piece of equipment with its nice dampening working sufficiently well. But it is a bit on the heavy side. That is why I use the Novoflex DinO head for my travelling tripod. The DinO head is dampening relatively well, though not as well as the Manfrotto 128, but it's sufficient even for a Leica Televid 77 scope. A good friend of mine uses it regularly for photocameras as well. And it weighs only about 300 grams! It is a real piece of quality which means, of course, that it costs more than the other heavier heads. You'll find more info on the DinO thread in the scope section.

The Novoflex DinO head seems pretty interesting though the weight is without quick release plate i assume? (and the price is twice as high as the Manfrotto 700RC). If the ergonomics and usability is better i supose it could be worth it. Swissboy: Have you compared it to the 700RC ??

cullman is the one Scampo

once you're used to it it's a pleasure to take out. With a 60mm scope it's very useful. Obviously not for seawatching etc but you can get onto stuff like lightning and don't have to put a tripod down, or god forbid, erect one.

gorank said:
The Novoflex DinO head seems pretty interesting though the weight is without quick release plate i assume? (and the price is twice as high as the Manfrotto 700RC). If the ergonomics and usability is better i supose it could be worth it. Swissboy: Have you compared it to the 700RC ??

You are correct, the weight with the quick release plate is 415 grams, to be exact. I don't know the Manfrotto 700RC, so I can't comment on it. Is there anyone who does have experience with both systems?

It seems that the 700RC replaces the 200 model which I considered unsatifactory for my needs. So the 700 might well be a more cost efficient solution than the DinO, but I just don't know. And as long as I have a system now that works fine, I have no need to get a second one just for comparisons sake. It's also a question whether you want that pan bar, as the one that comes with the DinO is too small for using it with a big scope. But I really don't need it normally anyway.

I use the 128Rc with a 441 CF tripod and am delighted with it - it copes with digiscoping well using my Swaro ATS80HD and CP4500 set up.

But in addition to moving to a CF tripod the other best way to improve carrying the gea is the move my wife and I made to the Mondell sam browne quick release harness - you have the scope attached to itand it hangs at your side while walking with just light hand control to steady it and you click the clip and have the scope set up in seconds - I can now walk miles with my scope and never have those 'shall I bother lugging the scope on this walk' conundrums!

Shoulder pod

Tim Allwood said:
if you're not seawatching or the like you could always try a shoulder pod

works a treat for me

Tim,

I've just bought a Nikon 60mm spotting scope - first venture into scoping. Would the shoulder pod be suitable for that do you think.

I wondered how steady it would be - the zoom goes up to 45x.

But I do fancy being mobile and £200 for a carbon fibre tripod seems a bit much for a beginner!

gorank said:
Try the Manfrotto 700RC head instead, it is lighter (only 0,5kg), is more stable and has better ergonomics than the 128RC (ca 1 kg). Check it out at:
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=9&itemid=1968
Im no big fan of manfrotto stuff but the 700RC head is very nice. The 128RC head on the contrary, I cant see any reason in universe to use one...

The 700rc is only rated for 5.5LB max, that gets maxed out very quickly when you start adding a camera and adapter and other acces, the 128rc on the other hand is rated for twice the rate. Raptor

lightweight..

Raptor said:
The 700rc is only rated for 5.5LB max, that gets maxed out very quickly when you start adding a camera and adapter and other acces, the 128rc on the other hand is rated for twice the rate. Raptor

I thought we were talking lightweight stuff here...=)

The RC700 will work fine with a 1,5 kg 80 mm scope, a 350 g cp4500 and for example the new Focus digiscoping adapter.

http://www.cyberphoto.se/kikare/focus/adapt.php

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back