• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (2 Viewers)

Yesterday morning again at Trafico, lot of raptors many attempting the crossing 300+ Booties, 153 Short-toed, 4 Honey Buzzard and 15 Griffon Vultures. Many hirundines with over 100 Alpine Swifts, Yellow Wagtails and larks.

Yesterday afternoon turned out to be something of an owl day! Starting in Montenmedio Golf club, whilst watching a small group of Bald Ibis on the driving range a very heavy thundershower forced me to take cover under the trees behind the clubhouse, ducking under some low foliage I almost head butted a Scops Owl which startled flew out within inches of my face. Then onto the quarry I managed to locate the Eagle Owl roosting in a small cleft, it became very vocal when investigated by some Jackdaws.

From there onto La Janda where we had some very close views of Boneli's Eagle, an immature and a juv which was surrounded by a cloud of mobbing Jackdaws.

Whilst watching a pair of Little Owls at the usual site a third appeared which caused a lot of vocals it's possible there was a fourth in the background. Could only find 3 Stone Curlew in the usual field no doubting there were others well hidden. No sign of the Rufous Bush Robin in this same location which was found by some lucky birders the day before.

Trafico again this morning from 10.30 till 12.45, with a Westerly breeze, hot sunny morning a lots of raptors, many kettles formed and birds watched crossing over the strait. Numbers difficult so estimates, Booties 400+, Short-toed 125+, Egyptian Vulture 2, a large falcon approaching low around headland had me thinking possible Lanner but 'twas only a Peregrine. A lot more Griffons than in last few weeks I counted 114, shortly after a tour of Irish birders arrived a group of 300 passed overhead and first 2 were identified as Ruppels nice and low so all the id features easily seen. Oddest find was a Harris Hawk with jesses!

Many passerines passing through a large group of 80-100 Yellow Wagtails was a surprise, both Northern and Black-eared Wheatear were on the foreshore.

Barbate reserve again this afternoon, 16 Bald Ibis amongst cattle in roadside field at entrance were nice, others highlights 39 Flamingo, 9 Spoonbill, 4 Caspian Tern, 10 Stone Curlew, 48 Auduoins Gull, 3 Slender-billed Gull, 13 Short-toed Lark. A great day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 42
At last we have a Levante (East) wind just had a group of 140+ Black Storks pass over the hostal as we breakfasted on patio at 09.00hrs also several Booted Eagle. Promising start hopefully!

There's some shots of that Harris Hawk chasing Spotless Starlings - the jesses are very long and could end up entangling a roosting bird.

Laurie:t:

Sierra de la Plata

I came across a road sign near Bolonia I've not noticed on earlier visits. I think that this is because it wasn't there then.

Some may recall me having a moan about people climbing up to the swift cafe at Bolonia as an add-on at the end of my trip report from 2011.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=213371&highlight=strait

Well, when I passed the road sign in the photo below on the way up to the Sierra a couple of weeks ago, I decided to see what the 'Zone of Boulder Climbing' was that lies 2.2km along the road from the sign.

You've guessed it. 2.2km brings you exactly to the parking area on the opposite side of the road directly beneath the swift cave. They've designated the cliff for recreational climbing.

On the way up you pass another cliff without, as far as I'm aware either nesting swifts or vultures, but that cliff has a sign that's been next to the road for some time saying 'Prohibida la Escalada'.

It beggars belief.

Attachments

• 147-Sign-permitting-climbing,-Bolonia-web.jpg
    147-Sign-permitting-climbing,-Bolonia-web.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Alan (Barred Wobbler) found himself having to return a hire car because of the 2000km rule which at the time was thought only being implemented by Recordgo

Today we booked flights for a return visit to Tarifa for the spring migration, asked for a quote from Malagacar.com who we have used twice in last 12 months. No mention anywhere of the 2000km limit in their agreements I could find. So this reply from them came as a reminder to all check when hiring in case you get caught out.

We inform you that maximum rental is 28 days. In rentals of more than this amount, we have special prices and conditions. That is the reason why quotation has not been shown online.

You should read them carefully and confirm you agree.

Booking cancellations and/or modifications at no charge.
Airport service.
24 hours road side assistance.
IVA (Tax).
Unlimited mileage. Although the mileage is unlimited, in case of driving more than 2.000 kilometres the vehicle must be replaced by another in our offices. Otherwise the extra mileage will be charged at 1 € / km.

Have emailed them back asking if we can come to an agreement over this 2000km cap, will keep you updated.

Alan (Barred Wobbler) found himself having to return a hire car because of the 2000km rule which at the time was thought only being implemented by Recordgo

Today we booked flights for a return visit to Tarifa for the spring migration, asked for a quote from Malagacar.com who we have used twice in last 12 months. No mention anywhere of the 2000km limit in their agreements I could find. So this reply from them came as a reminder to all check when hiring in case you get caught out.

We inform you that maximum rental is 28 days. In rentals of more than this amount, we have special prices and conditions. That is the reason why quotation has not been shown online.

You should read them carefully and confirm you agree.

Booking cancellations and/or modifications at no charge.
Airport service.
24 hours road side assistance.
IVA (Tax).
Unlimited mileage. Although the mileage is unlimited, in case of driving more than 2.000 kilometres the vehicle must be replaced by another in our offices. Otherwise the extra mileage will be charged at 1 € / km.

Have emailed them back asking if we can come to an agreement over this 2000km cap, will keep you updated.

Thanks for that Stewart, - it's the company I have used for several years now.... last May we drove up to Trujillo and Monfrague, with no problems, but I didn't check the mileage!

Suspect most hire companies operate same policy, average hirer probably 2 weeks for social and limited touring in and around Malaga region so clause is hidden somewhere in agreement. Perhaps Recordgo should be applauded for highlighting it unlike others.

We are looking for a 30 day hire with unlimited mileage so if we have to return vehicle before the 2000 limit perhaps 2 hire companies will benefit from our custom. Certainly an argument I've put to Malagacar.com

I went out to Algarrobo,Pelayo,yesterday afternoon for a few hours and was rewarded with good views of Ruppell´s vulture and also distant views of 3CY golden eagle.This is the first one I have seen there in about 5 years since I saw one take a booted eagle near to the observation point.Lots of booted eagles still going through with short toed now in the minority.One hobby and one peregrine were also seen.The odd black stork still coming by.
Then moved on to La Janda via the Cañada between Facinas and Benalup which I would say is not passable in a small car after a couple of KM when travelling west from Facinas.Several montague´s harriers,common buzzards and a very nice male marsh harrier seen along the way.No little owls seen and only a few crested larks.Not much else to report for the rest of the journey but near to the main road about 200+white storks resting in the trees,possibly to due to Military helicopter movements in the area.....Eddy

Yesterday started very slow at Algarrobo with only a few booted eagles and the odd Short tord showing early on.Then as the thermals started to heat up a large group of Griffon vultures appeared over the sierras and this included one Ruppel´s.Several sparrowhawks followed,one peregrine falcon and one hobby were seen and a lonely black kite also put in an appearance.Distant views of a Bonelli´s eagle and a honey buzzard and two common buzzards made up the species seen as the number of birds dwindelled.
I then moved on to Cazalla where there were a few British birders but here the numbers had also been low but soon after my arrival a hobby circled overhead and a a juvenile 1CY Spanish imperial eagle gave a flypast over our heads together with booted and shoprt toed eagles.Talking of which and speaking with Alejandro Onrubia of Migres he stated that there had been a lot fewer short toed eagles through this year and he expected that good numbers should come through in the next few weeks.As the sea mist rolled in I went for lunch at the Apollo 13 in Tahavilla which I can thoroughly recommend.They don´t call me the" Gourmet" birder for nothing.
Then on to La Janda where there were a few white storks in the paddies and the odd marsh harrier but not much else so I went then to the Cañada between Benalup and Facinas where I found juvenile Montague´s harriers and two marsh harriers and it was whilst watching these that a immature 2/3 CY golden eagle flew in low and although it did not attack the marsh harriers I felt it would have had I not been out of the car.I missed a good photo opportunity as my camera was in the car.A lesson learnt.
At the same time reorted to me by phone another Golden eagle seen at Algarrobo and also a nother bonelli´s.
The numbers of raptors is dwindelling but now it is the start of the young griffon migration which will continue until November.Several were seen to cross the Straits yesterday,kind regards to all....Eddy.

Suspect most hire companies operate same policy, average hirer probably 2 weeks for social and limited touring in and around Malaga region so clause is hidden somewhere in agreement. Perhaps Recordgo should be applauded for highlighting it unlike others.

We are looking for a 30 day hire with unlimited mileage so if we have to return vehicle before the 2000 limit perhaps 2 hire companies will benefit from our custom. Certainly an argument I've put to Malagacar.com

I always use Centauro who have no mileage limitation (except in Ibiza) and are generally a "no fuss" operation with decent prices.

It is worth noting that the quoted prices decrease the closer to the hire date that you get so, if you hold your nerve, you get a very good price. This time around I paid €240 for 23 days including an extra driver for a Renault Megane deisel. Not bad at all.

As the sea mist rolled in I went for lunch at the Apollo 13 in Tahavilla which I can thoroughly recommend.They don´t call me the" Gourmet" birder for nothing.
....Eddy.

I assume you refer to Bar Restaurante Apolo XI, Eddy - which I not infrequently also call Apollo 13! I'd recommend it highly too - one of few able to cope with Mrs C's gluten/olive oil free diet,

John

Yesterday started very slow at Algarrobo with only a few booted eagles and the odd Short tord showing early on.Then as the thermals started to heat up a large group of Griffon vultures appeared over the sierras and this included one Ruppel´s.Several sparrowhawks followed,one peregrine falcon and one hobby were seen and a lonely black kite also put in an appearance.Distant views of a Bonelli´s eagle and a honey buzzard and two common buzzards made up the species seen as the number of birds dwindelled.
I then moved on to Cazalla where there were a few British birders but here the numbers had also been low but soon after my arrival a hobby circled overhead and a a juvenile 1CY Spanish imperial eagle gave a flypast over our heads together with booted and shoprt toed eagles.Talking of which and speaking with Alejandro Onrubia of Migres he stated that there had been a lot fewer short toed eagles through this year and he expected that good numbers should come through in the next few weeks.As the sea mist rolled in I went for lunch at the Apollo 13 in Tahavilla which I can thoroughly recommend.They don´t call me the" Gourmet" birder for nothing.
Then on to La Janda where there were a few white storks in the paddies and the odd marsh harrier but not much else so I went then to the Cañada between Benalup and Facinas where I found juvenile Montague´s harriers and two marsh harriers and it was whilst watching these that a immature 2/3 CY golden eagle flew in low and although it did not attack the marsh harriers I felt it would have had I not been out of the car.I missed a good photo opportunity as my camera was in the car.A lesson learnt.
At the same time reorted to me by phone another Golden eagle seen at Algarrobo and also a nother bonelli´s.
The numbers of raptors is dwindelling but now it is the start of the young griffon migration which will continue until November.Several were seen to cross the Straits yesterday,kind regards to all....Eddy.

Fine collection of Eagles there Eddy! :-O

Yes John,appologies for the slip up I´ve always called it Apollo 13 but you are right with Apollo 11.I had a Salmonete the size of a large trout followed by a beautiful cheesecake.Delicious.....Eddy

I've a birding mate with a Gluten intolerance and he's also a Coeliac but no Olive Oil in Spain:eek!: You have my sympathies John;)

I've a birding mate with a Gluten intolerance and he's also a Coeliac but no Olive Oil in Spain:eek!: You have my sympathies John;)

Sympathies due to Liz not me! Fortunately, chips are generally cooked in sunflower oil (apparently olive oil doesn't get hot enough) and most places have something 'a la plancha' (grilled). Oddly the most accommodating places have tended to be wayside ventas rather than plush city restaurants. The biggest problem has been persuading some waiters that rice is gluten-free! Travelling with vegetarians can be fun to as meat free salads etc are often decorated with shrimps or tuna!

The first quote may not be as bad as the second quote reads it. If what they actually do is to take in the one you are in and giving you another one without charging extra, is that so bad as all that? Yes, it might be inconvenient to visit one of their offices. However, I would still contact them to ask for clarification.

Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back