• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (1 Viewer)

Niels, the change-over is more than 'inconvenient' if like me, your holiday accommodation is about a 300km round trip to the airport, entailing half a day lost, a quarter of a tank of fuel and curtailment of other planned trips later in the visit to avoid having to make a second change-over. That was my experience. I cancelled planned visits to Brazo del Este and Ronda and shortened others to avoid passing the second 2,000 km limit. I returned the car with 75km spare.

Others, staying further west in the Tarifa area, such as Stewart have an even longer return trip to the office.

That isn't 'inconvenient' it can be a trip-changer.

Last edited:
Just waiting for another reply from Malagacar who have gotten back to me asking for an estimate of the kilometres I could do. Suggested doubling their cap to 4000, await their response.

Just waiting for another reply from Malagacar who have gotten back to me asking for an estimate of the kilometres I could do. Suggested doubling their cap to 4000, await their response.

Had to chase them up with 2 further emails and reply received this morning they want an eye watering extra 190 euros on top of the agreed hire price to exceed the so called unlimited kilometre cap of 2000 kms. This they point out would mean not returning car to office for exchange at 2000 kms.

Anyone any recommendations for hire companies with a genuine unlimited policy.

Straits of Gibratar and La Janda

Good evening to you all,I haven´t been on lateley so just to update you,last week,royal and lesser crested terns seen at Los Lances beach,Tarifa and on La Janda it has been really good.They are harvesting the rice and the birds are just flocking in,yesterday over 2000 glossy ibis flew in the afternoon from Barbate in four large flocks,very impressive.Also yesterday two juvenile pallid harriers seen and one adult male which can be seen going to roost about 8pm each night in the fields behind the machinery sheds on the main canal not far from the left turn after you enter.Also seen for the past 3 days a lesser spotted eagle which appears to frequent the canal area near the sluice on the vejer track.Lots of marsh harriers,juvenile and adult imperial eagles and bonelli´s eagles of varying ages.Also seen grasshopper,reed, great reed cetis warblers together with good quantities of bluethroat.Stone curlew have been seen above the farm with little owls in abundance.No sign of short eared or long eared owls yet but a regular visiter at the last throws of light is a huge eagle owl that frequents the area near to the eastern entrance.Also of note are 100´s white storks and a handfull of black and yesterday near to the bridge over the main canal I found a common waxbill which is I think the first to be seen in the area.
In the early morning 8´oclock ish there is a fantantastic site of 100´s if not 1000+ cattle egrets leaving their roost and skimming acroos the rice paddies on their way to feed.Obviously the rice harvest attracts many birds of all sizes and this in turn brings in the raptors in large numbers.The migration of raptors has slowed but there are still a few booted and short toed eagles about together with the odd group of black kites.Griffon vulture migration is in full swing with 100´s of birds crossing daily and of course everyone is looking out for the white backed vulture that was seen recently in nearby Portugal.After two complete days in the field I had a rest today but will be out again tomorrow and will keep you posted.Weather wise it is balmy,or is it barmy, with temps in the region of 28c and no rain forecast for the following week.Kind regards...Eddy.Photos of grasshopper warbler and juvenile pallid harrier.

Attachments

• 2014-10-17 11.50.03 (640x470).jpg
    2014-10-17 11.50.03 (640x470).jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 2014-10-17 19.33.58-3 (640x479).jpg
    2014-10-17 19.33.58-3 (640x479).jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 74
When I first started going over there I tended towards the last week in September or first week in October. As time went on my visits have become earlier to catch the honeys and Monty's at the beginning of September, particularly since I've been able to get my hands on a camera that's up to the job of snapping raptors in flight, rather than just being content with a tick to add to a trip list.

Maybe the answer isn't either/or, but and.

I wonder if I can get our lass to agree to six weeks rather than three.

Probably not. I think I'll not mention it. She loves the place, but love has its limits.

Last edited:
I can't compete with Eddy above, but a few shots from a short visit in mid-Sept - Short-toed and Booted Eagles were in good numbers at Algarrobo, where there was also a flock of 20-25 Alpine Swifts - and a Glossy Ibis from La Janda.
The raptors where generally high, as wind was predominantly westerly during the 2 days I was there.
La Janda certainly sounds fantastic at the moment, I had good numbers of Monty's there, also 2 Black-winged Kites and a Lesser Kestrel flock - but no Eagles.

Attachments

• 932-4.jpg
    932-4.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 986-4.jpg
    986-4.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 273-4.jpg
    273-4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 657-3.jpg
    657-3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 58
Alan you are off to India in the spring(if you can get a visa) and me only Morrocco and Estonia.We all have to grin and bare it sometimes.....Eddy

Had to chase them up with 2 further emails and reply received this morning they want an eye watering extra 190 euros on top of the agreed hire price to exceed the so called unlimited kilometre cap of 2000 kms. This they point out would mean not returning car to office for exchange at 2000 kms.

Anyone any recommendations for hire companies with a genuine unlimited policy.

Centauro have no KM limit. they do, however, require you to check the fluids every 1000 km and top up if necessary, for which they will pay you on production of a receipt.

Hello to everyone sorry I have not been on for a while but I have been on holiday and then had lots of things to catch up on.
I have been involved in a lot of ringing lately in conjunction with a feather mite project that my group is carrying out and I have been assisting as I am not a licensed ringer.Lots of blue throats,chiff chaff,stonechat and the odd reed bunting have been netted together with a couple of late evening nettings for white wagtails coming to roost.All this has been on La Janda where the rice hatvest has now finished and the ploughing of the paddies has commenced.This has attracted 1000´s of white storks cattle,little and great white egrets together with the overwintering cranes.
The birds of prey continue their presence with Spanish Imperial eagles adult and juvenile,Lesser spotted eagles now appear to be overwintering,Bonelli´s eagles,Marsh,hen and pallid harriers (adult male and juvenile)black winged kite common buzzards and of course the ever present kestrels.
In addition Griffon and Ruppells vultures can be viewed at most places and there is a roost of short eared owls on the island of Tarifa.(very restricted access).
Northern bald ibis continue to show in Barbate and Montemedio but glossy ibis are non existent for some reason even including Doñana where I was recently for a few days.Last week I saw a juvenile greater spotted cuckoo on La Janda which is very early for this species as it usually arrives in late Feb or March.
Osprey are present at times in Palmones and the Guardiaro river area and the bulbuls are still in Tarifa.
I shall be out and about in the coming weeks and will keep in touch.Kind regards ....Eddy

Good to hear your news - I was wondering why you hadn't posted recently. Shame we can't get down to La Janda until spring - it sounds superb at the moment!

After three days of trying this afternoon picked up a life bird for me, Richard´s pipit which has been in La Janda for nearly a week now.Unable to get a picture but will try again at weekend.1000´s white storks now on the rice paddies black winged kite many marsh harriers bonelli´s eagle imperial eagle and two juv.and one adult male pallid harrier all still present together with the overwintering cranes.
After the recent rains there is plenty of flooded fields and several 100 mallards have taken up residence.Kind regards to all and I wish you a Happy Christmas....E·ddy.

Good to hear you caught up with the Richard's Pipit - it couldn't have been too easy given the vastness of the area and how much of it is unaccessible. Happy Christmas to you,

John funny enough this bird has stayed in the same area for the whole time.However with rising water it has not been possible to cross the canals safely and one has to be patience and have views only through the telescope...Eddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back