• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (2 Viewers)

Hi Jon. Interested to hear your sightings. Shame about the weather but it does look like it may be better from tomorrow. Where did you see the Black-winged Kite? A pair over-wintered, then bred, near San Martin de Tesorillo two years ago but I haven't seen one this winter.

Hi Jon. Interested to hear your sightings. Shame about the weather but it does look like it may be better from tomorrow. Where did you see the Black-winged Kite? A pair over-wintered, then bred, near San Martin de Tesorillo two years ago but I haven't seen one this winter.

Today it was a bit better - we got our walk done before it started raining again - after it rained ALL night!
Mercifully a few birds of prey over Jimena today: about 20 each of Booted and Short-toed Eagles, an Egyptian Vulture, a dozen Black Kites. Also 5 Black Storks and a few Alpine Swifts.
The BSK was east of Los Angeles from the top of the hill. There were two there several years ago....

Glad it was better for you today, Jon. Higher up in the hills it rained all day, after raining all last night, too! Your BSK location isn't far from where they bred in 2013, after which farming activity may have deterred them from breeding there in 2014, so they could well be the same pair. South-westerly forecast for tomorrow so hopefully more raptors moving through the area.
Pablo

Opened the curtains this morning to thick fog! This generally means it will clear and it did too showing that odd blue stuff up there!! Before we left for the coast at about 09.45, I counted 87 Black Kites heading NE. Looked good for the straits. However saw next to nothing - 11 more Kites in-off at Bolonia. Things took a turn for the better when we arrived at Los Lances and there was Eddy! Inevitable we should meet eventually and the pair of Kentish Plovers posed right in front of us. Glad to meet you at last Eddy! And Bob from Gaucin too!
BSK still present this evening.
What's the info on the birdy event at the end of the month? At Huertagrande?

Ps. Eddy reckoned that migration stalled today due to rain in Morocco.

Last edited:
I went out yesterday after an early lunch at home and thought with a south westerly wind I would head for Punta Carnero arriving there at about 12.45.The sun shone strongly but there was heavy cloud over the mountains in Morrocco and nothing was coming through so I left after a half hour with not one raptor seen.
I drove towards Tarifa and again no birds seen so I was on my way to Punta Cammora when I met my good friend Jose Luis Garzon coming the other way.He had been at the point with only the odd booted eagle and black kite coming through so he suggested Los Lances beach.
When we arrived at the hide Gaucin Bob and a friend were also there and as it was low tide the lagoon was almost empty of water.Infront of the hide were Kentish plover,a single dunlin,a small group of sanderling and to the right at the coloured poles two grey plover.Further in the distance a large group of gulls were on the beach and a scan with the telescope revealed Y/L gull,mediterranean gull,black headed and a few audouin´s gulls.It was also nice to see Jon Turner at last after many conversation on here.Enjoy your stay Jon weather is going to improve.
Together with Jose Luis and his lovely companion we then moved onto La Janda for the rest of the afternoon.Now I had only been there last Friday but it had rained the whole time and apart from huge flocks of finches and a few bedraggled black kite nothing much was showing and the water levels were high.This afternoon in bright sunshine the small birds were out in force from the moment we entered.Crested lark,zitting cisticola,stonechat, many corn buntings and again large flocks of mixed finches,gold green and linnets were singing as if finally spring had arrived.The water levels had risen since the previous Friday and now many fields and rice paddies were completely flooded with many mallard lesser black backed,black headed and Y/L gulls feeding and bathing in the fresh water.A small group of five spoonbills were feeding and together with many cattle and little egrets made up the population of birds in the water.Several marsh harriers were hunting the reed beds including three males that were seen at the same time an unusual occurence here where females always seem to dominate.A large group of black birds( not blackbirds) were seen to fly up at a distance and after seeing them through the bins a group of twenty or so glossy ibis circled towards us.Now this winter the glossy ibis have been noticeable by their absence and it was nice to see.Several grey herons were feeding but to date I have not seen a purple heron this year.Moving onto the dehesa above the farm the pair of little owls were on station at the rocks on the right handside and more marsh harriers were quartering the fields.Most of the wild olive trees that grow on the dehesa have been pruned leaving little or no cover for the birds.My knowledgeable colleague Jose Luis could not give an explanation as to why this had been done but somehow I think it is to give the cattle more grazing by cutting off the lower branches.What was noticeable was the increase in the healthy rabbit population with many right out in the open good news for the many raptors that feed in this area.We stopped for coffe and scanned the horizon for distant raptors and saw bootedeagles and black kite with a group of griffon vultures over the nearby hills together with a large eagle that Jose Luis believed to be a Bonelli´s.We moved on and saw the many jackdaws at the end of the tarmac road before we turned right onto the Cañada which by the way is now getting well rutted at it´s western end but will be still passable in a car.Nothing of note so we turned round after a few KM´s and then saw an adult Bonelli´s eagle flying low along the treetops at the side of the Cañada.We stopped and got out of the car and walked back hoping for a better view when it came across the road and rested on a a fencepost at the side of the road.Where is the camera when you want it answer back in the car.But my sudden movement to go back and get it resulted in the magnificent bird taking off from less than 50 m away.On our return we also saw more little owls and whist watching two male marsh harriers on the ground in one of the unflooded paddies a small raptor flew across the road in front of us and then setteled on a mound of earth about 200m away.A very nice Merlin to round of the afternoon.The wind has picked up during the night so I will be out to Punta Carnero today reasonably early as the westerly wind normally concentrates the raptors at this point.But as we all know birds do not conform to the norm.Kind regards ....Eddy

Strong Northerly wind here today. Despite that an early bunch of 300+ Black Kites with a few Eagles headed high but west of Jimena this morning an hour or so later lots more ( another 300 or so) flew over, again high this time east of
Los Angeles. A few Alpine and Common Swifts. Saw a Nightingale by the river. Adult female Marsh Harrier at Sambana this evening.

No-one else out and about?
Clear blue skies all day today, not good for finding birds of prey!
Only saw a few each of Black Kite and Booted Eagle, one STE. However, while in the cork-oak forest, I did see 2 male Marsh Harriers go north. And a Spanish tick when I disturbed 3 Tree Pipits!
Later in the Campo, a Montagu's Harrier and 2 cracking male Spanish Yellow Wagtails.

Yesterday over Jimena:
280 Black Kites
1 Short-toed Eagle
4 Booted Eagles
5 Black Storks
Then at 4pm went to a lecture at Huertagrande all about the reintroduction of Osprey into Spain. In Spanish. Got the gist - things are improving! Then stopped off at Punto Carnero for a quick watch. Mostly Booted Eagles and Black Kites.

So today I returned to Punto Carnero at 10.15. Stayed about 1.5 hours saw:
33 Booted Eagle
1 Montagu's Harrier
5 Short-toed Eagle
3 Sparrowhawk
8 Black Kite
So to La Janda:
Met Andrew Fortuna!
Saw:
2 Egyptian Vultures
3 Great White Egrets
27 Spoonbill
1 Spanish Sparrow!
1 Calandra Lark
1 Black Shouldered Kite
8 Marsh Harrier
2/300 Glossy Ibis
1 Hen Harrier
4 BW Stilt
2 Avocet
1 GOLDEN EAGLE
So back to Punto Carnero for an evening watch:
5 Sparrowhawk
236 Black Kite
107 Booted Eagles
1 Short-toed Eagle
6 Marsh Harrier
1 Egyptian Vulture
1 Osprey
Pallid Swifts ariving, Bee-eaters heard. 3 Garganey at Palmones (200 seen on the sea at Los Lances by Andrew)
16 Raptor species seen today!

Hi John

Was great to finally met you. Always nice to meet forum members in the flesh.

So today I returned to Punto Carnero at 10.15. Stayed about 1.5 hours saw:
33 Booted Eagle
1 Montagu's Harrier
5 Short-toed Eagle
3 Sparrowhawk
8 Black Kite
So to La Janda:
Met Andrew Fortuna!
Saw:
2 Egyptian Vultures
3 Great White Egrets
27 Spoonbill
1 Spanish Sparrow!
1 Calandra Lark
1 Black Shouldered Kite
8 Marsh Harrier
2/300 Glossy Ibis
1 Hen Harrier
4 BW Stilt
2 Avocet
1 GOLDEN EAGLE
So back to Punto Carnero for an evening watch:
5 Sparrowhawk
236 Black Kite
107 Booted Eagles
1 Short-toed Eagle
6 Marsh Harrier
1 Egyptian Vulture
1 Osprey
Pallid Swifts ariving, Bee-eaters heard. 3 Garganey at Palmones (200 seen on the sea at Los Lances by Andrew)
16 Raptor species seen today!

Last day today, but stayed local. Delighted to see some Bee-eaters after hearing them for a couple of days. Flat calm day so nothing much moving. Willow Warblers in song, Cuckoos also calling. Saw two Hoopoes and 3 Woodchat Shrikes today, so some new stuff arriving.

Anyway, leaving it up to you all now, good luck!

Good morning to you all,I have been very busy lately with friends out from UK including two young Grandchildren of a friend of mine.Now these boys are keen birders and wanted to see the migration.Unfortunately the weather has not helped their quest with strong easterlies prevailing up to and including gale force nine.Now this tends to spread the birds all over the Straits from Guadalmesi near Tarifa right to Barbate without any major concentrations.
However on Saturday last was at Punta Camorro(Traffico) and a few birds were coming through,Booted short toed eagles and black kites but this dried up and I saw that the bird s were now arriving at Guadalmesi.My two young friend and their family had not arrived so I diverted them to Guadalmesi where for a few hours we were able to see the inbound migration at low level with booted,short toed eagles black kites sparrowhawks,griffon vultures and black storks arriving in good numbers,much to the delight of the boys.
After lunch in Pelayo went back to same area but the birds had dried up with only a handfull coming through.
We decided to call it a day and made arrangements for an early start for the next day Sunday for a last trip to La Janda before the boys went home.We met at my house and went to the Benalup entrance and there saw white stork,cattle and little egrets,glossy ibis and common kestrels all within the first 200 m.The weather was cloudy and the wind had subsided a little but still was about force 5.We made our way gingerly along the now very potholed road and as we drove by a ditch Toby the elder of the two boys shouted stop.He had seen something in the ditch which turned out to be a little ringed plover.Oh for young eyes.As we went over the Celemin river bridge it was nice to see the housemartins had again taken up residence as they have done for more years than I wish to remember.We thought we would go along the dirt track to Facinas for a few K but we saw good numbers of birds of prey in the air over the Dehesa towards the farm so we turned round and as we did so Oliver the younger brother shouts out Egyptian vulture so we got out and had good view of a near adult Egyptian flying towards us.Now Oliver who is only 10 is also into photography and he produced some excelent shots of this probably 5CY bird.
So up to the dehesa and there were black kites,booted eagles and the ever present jackdaws everywhere.Toby was scouting the distant trees and shouted Imperial eagle and we all swung round to see this full adult Spanish Imperial eagle hunting low on the other side of the fields.Not only had Toby seen the bird, at thirteen, he had correctly identified it which is no mean feat at his age.
We waited in this area for some time in case it came closer but two cars driving across the fields put paid to any further sightings.Toby and Oliver could now go home that afternoon with the memories of a glorious morning on La Janda to dream about that night.Two very good birders indeed.
Yesterday I went with friends to Bonanza which although not in the Straits is often enjoyed by visiters to this area.We come to the river Guadalquiver via Trebujena and then travel south to the fish pools where we saw flamingoes,red crested and common pochards,avocets,common and green sandpipers,glossy ibises and many Iberian yellow wagtails.On to the pine woods at La Algaida where there were nesting black kites and white storks together with treecreepers,great tits and my first of this year Bonelli´s warblers.On to la Laguna de Tarelo where there were spoonbill,cattle and little egrets,squacco and night herons,white headed duck and common and red crested pochards.Two groups of mentally disabled children were at the Laguna, together with staff from the Andalusian environment dept,and were getting a first hand taste of birding and wildlife observations which was really nice to see.
Now onto the salinas at Bonanza where for the first kilometer no birds were present but as we reached the end of the track the birds were in the last two pools.Redshanks,dunlin,sanderling ringed plovers little stints,knot, and several hundred slender billed gulls feeding on the plankton.Flamingoes and avocets were also in abundance and a red kite was hunting over the nearby fields.A black kite was chasing a y/l gull which had a blue piece of plastic or something attached to it´s foot but it gave up after a few minutes.Going on tto the pool by the pump station little and gull billed terns were feeding together with dunlin and redshanks and a lone grey plover in non breeding plumage.Collared pratincoles had been seen here earlier but were not presnt at this moment.
After lunch on to Chipiona and the little swifts at the Fishing Port where they were,together with house martins, busy nest building.My photographic skills are not yet as advanced as to get decent photos.On the Sunday previous there had beena report of possible three red throated pipits on Los Lances beach in Tarifa and that they were still present.A life 1st bird for my friends and I so off we went and into the car park by the football stadium and onto the boardwalk where we met local birders who were trying to locate them.After a short time two small birds flew up from the dunes and with their call were identified as the pipits.Now the wind was such that you could hardly stand up and they soon went to ground again to give us a decent allbeit brief view of these very rare birds to the area.All in all a very good end to a long day in the field.Kind regards to all ....Eddy

Hi Eddy. It sounds like the young'uns will be keen to be back for more. Well done them.

And well done with the pipits. Good birds.

PS Get some hardcore into those potholes before September, I'll be wanting some access.

Had a fantastic week in the area with 15 members of the young birders group Next Generation Birders.
We visited numerous sites but to summarise this was our itinerary.

5th April –Sierra Utrera
6th April – Alcala + Stork factory + Alcaidesa Alto + Pinar del Rey + Benalup
7th April – Osuna
8th April – Barbate, La Janda etc
9th April - Bonanza
10th April - Grazalema
11th April – Tarifa

The standout bird in rarity terms was this highly educational Ruppells Griffon Vulture near Alcala de los Gazules on the morning of the 6th.

A full trip report will appear in the next week or so.

Thanks to John Cantelo, Peter Jones, Kevin Wade and many others for their help before and during this trip.

Attachments

• IMG_4513.jpg
    IMG_4513.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 90
Hi Birdman as I understand it,and I may be wrong,the EU has said that if the project is not completed they want their money back.So the local powers that be have moved some earth around to look is if is being completed and shut the site due to "work in progress".They have said that it will be completed this summer with new access,but don´t hold your breath....Eddy.
PS: the site can still be reached on foot.

I forgot to mention the small fact that 3 red throated pipits were seen last Sunday at Los Lances beach,the football stadium end,and I got very brief glimpses of two in a force 8 gale on Monday.I have no knowledge if they are still there.Life bird for me and my companions.....Eddy

Had a fantastic week in the area with 15 members of the young birders group Next Generation Birders.
We visited numerous sites but to summarise this was our itinerary.

5th April –Sierra Utrera
6th April – Alcala + Stork factory + Alcaidesa Alto + Pinar del Rey + Benalup
7th April – Osuna
8th April – Barbate, La Janda etc
9th April - Bonanza
10th April - Grazalema
11th April – Tarifa

The standout bird in rarity terms was this highly educational Ruppells Griffon Vulture near Alcala de los Gazules on the morning of the 6th.

A full trip report will appear in the next week or so.

Thanks to John Cantelo, Peter Jones, Kevin Wade and many others for their help before and during this trip.

Turns out a mis id on the Ruppells! Ah well, live and learn and it was educational at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back