• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics ranger 8x32 or sightron sii blue sky 8x32 (1 Viewer)

I was not impressed with the one Ranger I looked through. I would agree with the previous reply in this regard. However, the SII Blue Sky is quite impressive when price is considered. It is one of the better roofs you can buy for under $200, and certainly the better buy between these two binos.

If you can conjure up a bit more money, also look at the the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, which is much better than either of the other two, and weighs less than the other two as well.

An even better buy than the EO or the BS is the 8.5x30 Vortex Raptor. Very nice and lightweight bino for not much over $100. These will do everything you can do with a BS, albeit with a slightly smaller FOV. Much better company to deal with if you ever have a problem too.

If you can conjure up a bit more money, also look at the the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, which is much better than either of the other two, and weighs less than the other two as well.

An even better buy than the EO or the BS is the 8.5x30 Vortex Raptor. Very nice and lightweight bino for not much over $100. These will do everything you can do with a BS, albeit with a slightly smaller FOV. Much better company to deal with if you ever have a problem too.

Could you elaborate on how the Monarch is much better? FOV for one is narrow on that is it not?

I have the Sightron's and they're a nice binoc for the money. I would say mine are more than 8x based on comparison with other 8X. They're surprisingly bright, surprisingly lite, easy to hold in your hand and they have sufficient eye relief for glasses wearers. My only real issue is getting exact focus which doesn't seem to just POP for me like some others. I usually end up going out/in/out to get it just right. Its quick though even so.

Could you elaborate on how the Monarch is much better? FOV for one is narrow on that is it not?

I have the Sightron's and they're a nice binoc for the money. I would say mine are more than 8x based on comparison with other 8X. They're surprisingly bright, surprisingly lite, easy to hold in your hand and they have sufficient eye relief for glasses wearers. My only real issue is getting exact focus which doesn't seem to just POP for me like some others. I usually end up going out/in/out to get it just right. Its quick though even so.

We own both the 8x32 Blue Sky and the Monarch 7. I would be happy to elaborate.

The Nikon has a noticeably brighter and sharper view, along with a very slight advantage in FOV. All in a package that is smaller in footprint and slightly lighter in weight. Given that the M7 costs twice as much, this should not be a surprise.

IMO the B.S. is a very nice bino for the price. Also IMO, it is not in the same league as the M7, as one could reasonably expect given the price difference.

The sightron sii blue sky 8x32 by virtue of the 800+ posts on my thread about this cheap gem.

Frank D.;)

It is that thread that got me to purchase one. It is part of a group of lower-priced binos that serve more or less as "utility" binos. The B.S. is my "truck bino". The M7 lives in the SUV......

It is that thread that got me to purchase one. It is part of a group of lower-priced binos that serve more or less as "utility" binos. The B.S. is my "truck bino". The M7 lives in the SUV......

Ditto . . . I have to grin and shake my head every time I look thru them.

We own both the 8x32 Blue Sky and the Monarch 7. I would be happy to elaborate.

The Nikon has a noticeably brighter and sharper view, along with a very slight advantage in FOV. All in a package that is smaller in footprint and slightly lighter in weight. Given that the M7 costs twice as much, this should not be a surprise.

IMO the B.S. is a very nice bino for the price. Also IMO, it is not in the same league as the M7, as one could reasonably expect given the price difference.

Heh, thanks for elaborating. I learned something I didn't realize but probably should have. Never underestimate Nikon. Which is actually "most" of what I own and usually great optics. Been away for quite awhile and just saw your response. Take care. 8-P

Heh, thanks for elaborating. I learned something I didn't realize but probably should have. Never underestimate Nikon. Which is actually "most" of what I own and usually great optics. Been away for quite awhile and just saw your response. Take care. 8-P

Glad to see that you were able to see my reply. I guess I underestimated Nikon for a great while too. Before I really got into binoculars, I had seen some of their lower-end stuff such as the Monarch ATB and others, and was not impressed at all. I now feel that once you get to the Monarch 7 level and above, that they make some pretty dang good stuff....

I make a genuine effort to try to find the positives in any comparison....

...but I also feel obligated to point out the negatives.

I now have two Nikon Monarch 7s in my possession and I have to say that my experiences are contrary to what has been posted above. I can very easily see a greater amount of detail and a notably higher level of contrast in the Sightrons. Based on that I can only offer two possible explanations:

1- the previously mentioned lack of contrast/detail issue mentioned in other threads with regard to the Monarch 7 8x30 as a result of the unblackened internal components

2- I have a cherry Sightron

Either would explain the discrepancies. Ultimately though, when it comes to looking for the finest detail, I would have to give the Sightron a notable nod in this comparison. In terms of the "footprint" both in terms of size and weight then I certainly would agree the Nikon is a much better alternative.

The Blue Sky is my truck bin also and I am never disappointed when I have the opportunity to use it. In fact I still find myself marveling on how good it is for the price I paid. Out of the untold number of bins I've bought and sold over the years these are one of the few that made it on my keeper list.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back