• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid 7x35 (1 Viewer)

LEICA said:
Since they are not considered water proof or completely water sealed, they’ll tolerate being in the rain but the user should always put the rainguard on over the eyecup end before allowing the unit to hang at their chest where the rain can drum down on the glass and possibly get through the seams.
They cannot be rinsed off under a running faucet.

Totally unacceptable. What a boneheaded move.

60 yer old technology doesn't need to be upgraded. Good to know.
I agree with 45northmt. They could have retained the optical qualities you liked in the older classic model and at least made them waterproof. That means they are possibly exposed to dust and other contaminants also getting on the lenses. When Dodge updated the older classis Challenger they didn't use an old carburetor and points on the motor they used a modern fuel injected motor and disc brakes instead of drums. It doesn't make sense not to take advantage of new technology.

45er
I know what you mean and it seems commonsense that Leica should have upgraded these bins to modern standards. You are concerned about waterproofing, (I am not because of my wife's experiences with her original, see above) my own beef would be with the lack of a modern close focus.

But Bob is right too. These binos are icons of the past and are being made available again and will be attractive to nostalgia-struck oldies and collectors, as well as those interested in the development of the modern roof-prism bino and Leica's unique use of the Uppendahl prisms.

Anyone who wants a work-horse built to modern standards of weather proofing can choose other Leica models or indeed from a host of other brands.

If these Trinnies had a modern 2 metre or 1.5metre close focus I can say without a shadow of doubt that my wife would get one and take it out in the foulest of weather without a second's thought, just as she did with her old Trinnies for decades.

Lee

In post 39 I have described which considerations Leitz had when it developed the Leitz Trinovids made from 1963-1988. One of the arguments was that by using the interior focussing/diopter mechanism, the binoculars would not collect dust or water inside. That is also how it worked for me during years of fairly hard use of the 10x40B Leitz Dialyt and it never collected water or dust. So I do not quite understand the worries about the new ones, since they will certainly just as good or even better than the old ones. I just finished the investigation of a number of old ones: 7x35B (1966, 1967, 1982) , 8x40B (1969) and 10x40B (1965 and 1977) made in different periods of time between 1965 and 1982 and they were all in good condition, no dust or water inside and some of them very heavily used. So, I would say: do not worry before you have used them a lot. There is a proverb in Dutch that says: de mens lijdt dikwijls het meest door het lijden dat hij vreest, doch dat nimmer op komt dagen. I am curious what Google translate will make of it.
Gijs van Ginkel

I agree with 45northmt. They could have retained the optical qualities you liked in the older classic model and at least made them waterproof. That means they are possibly exposed to dust and other contaminants also getting on the lenses. When Dodge updated the older classis Challenger they didn't use an old carburetor and points on the motor they used a modern fuel injected motor and disc brakes instead of drums. It doesn't make sense not to take advantage of new technology.

Dennis,

Read Gijs's comment in post #47.

Bob

The experts have chimed in in posts 46 and 47.

You don't have to buy the new Leica Trinovid with the Uppendahl prisms but you don't need to worry if you do.

That is unless you are required to go birding very often in wet and rainy conditions. Under those circumstances you should get the most waterproof binocular you can find. Its cost should be no objection for you.

Bob

Last edited:
There is a proverb in Dutch that says: de mens lijdt dikwijls het meest door het lijden dat hij vreest, doch dat nimmer op komt dagen.

I am curious what Google translate will make of it.
Gijs van Ginkel

But don't worry about it Gijs, it may never happen.

Lee

Indeed! But would the hybrid be a Mule or a Hinny?;)

Bob

More like a camel! :eek!:

But actually, wouldn't it be really cool if Leica did reinterpret the Dialyt (although arguably the 7x42 is marginally more iconic than the 10x40) and if Zeiss did the same for the Trinovid. Obviously I don't suggest this as a commercial proposition but as a bit of exhibition fun. Unfortunately I don't think either company has the time or resources for this but we can dream.

Lee

If the body is nitrogen-filled, does that mean that it's waterproof? Maybe the focusing mechanism is the "splash-proof" part of the binocular, and the optical tubes are waterproof.

The experts have chimed in in posts 46 and 47.

You don't have to buy the new Leica Trinovid with the Uppendahl prisms but you don't need to worry if you do.

That is unless you are required to go birding very often in wet and rainy conditions. Under those circumstances you should get the most waterproof binocular you can find. Its cost should be no objection for you.

Bob

These 1976 Trinovids look well used because they were Troubadoris's sole pair of binos for 36 years and endured the worst weather that about 70 expeditions to the west of Scotland and The Hebrides (including about 15 visits to Islay in November) could dish up and they never fogged or let water in.

Lee

Attachments

• Trinovid 8x40Reduced.jpg
    Trinovid 8x40Reduced.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 164
When I was guest at Leica's customer support, where they took me on a course for basic repairing binoculars, they took a Trinovid apart. I remember some long thin copper wire came out and was put magicaly together when they assembled it again. The building construction was solid ultra plus. Their comment was, that in the days these bins were made, Leica did not considered repair issues while developing that model. Only later on Customer Support got input on the development procedure of new bins.
Having said this, it is most likely that the building quality is not on par with the oldies. Considering the small volume in sales and the high Uppendahl price tag etc. IMHO you may and cannot compare both generations.
In optics quality the new ones will be superior. In building quality.........nehh. Not in the current price rate.

It will be my Chrismas tree wish (2018/19??. Please Leica, I hear stories of delivery June 2018!!!) for sure.

Jan

These 1976 Trinovids look well used because they were Troubadoris's sole pair of binos for 36 years and endured the worst weather that about 70 expeditions to the west of Scotland and The Hebrides (including about 15 visits to Islay in November) could dish up and they never fogged or let water in.

Lee

Hmm? They look like a well used version of the new leather covered Leica Trinovids!:t:

Bob

As someone who has been considering buying the new 7x35 Trinovid, I’m now backing away for the most part.

The only thing that makes sense for Leica not bringing the water resistance of theses bins up to a par with even the least expensive bins available today, must be cost.
A little machining for O-rings, better gaskets at the front and rear lenses, sealant at the body joints. They’ve already improved most everything else, why stop at waterproofing? The “tradition” argument isn’t working for me, they have twist up eyecups and that has already changed their form slightly. Making them more water tight won’t change their form.

As someone has pointed out, and I’m paraphrasing, this isn’t Louis Vuitton luggage. These are tools. Form must follow function. It’s also somewhat un-German like, if I may say.

About those anecdotes of past wet adventures with Leitz Trinovids, not enough for me. Don’t get me wrong, I believe them. I had 10x25 Leitz w/o problems and knew a few people with Leitz Trins and they had no problems. But I also know what Leica wrote me and I recently went through a minor skirmish with Leica over a warranty issue, finally prevailing. I like to rinse my bins under a faucet after being in dusty or salty enviroments. Leica says no. If one were to get water damage, I wish them luck with Leica.

There is, in addition to the water question, the idea of them losing their dry internal environment (nitrogen) muck quicker than other modern bins due to their lack of sealing.

I don’t write any of this attempting to persuade or dissuade anyone interested in these from buying or not. I think the 7x35s, in particular, look like they’ll be a great binocular. I just want something I can use like any of my other Leicas I’ve had. Though my first Leica product were the already mentioned Leitz minis, I bought my first Leica Trins in 1992. They were a sea change. The first modern binoculars and the template for everything that has followed, regardless of manufacturer. I’ve owned 3 Trinoids and 3 Ultravids since. All were fine instruments and I used them without special treatment. I wanted these “new” Leitz remakes to be like that.

Last edited:
45er
I know what you mean and it seems commonsense that Leica should have upgraded these bins to modern standards. You are concerned about waterproofing, (I am not because of my wife's experiences with her original, see above) my own beef would be with the lack of a modern close focus.

But Bob is right too. These binos are icons of the past and are being made available again and will be attractive to nostalgia-struck oldies and collectors, as well as those interested in the development of the modern roof-prism bino and Leica's unique use of the Uppendahl prisms.

Anyone who wants a work-horse built to modern standards of weather proofing can choose other Leica models or indeed from a host of other brands.

If these Trinnies had a modern 2 metre or 1.5metre close focus I can say without a shadow of doubt that my wife would get one and take it out in the foulest of weather without a second's thought, just as she did with her old Trinnies for decades.

Lee

Lee:

A well said explanation, and I agree with it fully. This Leica binocular is
designed to be like the early version, except eyecup changes to make it
more glasses friendly.

For those offput by the design, and not being waterproof, then just move
along, Leica feels the same way. Leica and many others have many other choices that are fully waterproof.

I am very pleased they have came out with this new Trinovid, and hope to
try one someday.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back