• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLR digiscoping (1 Viewer)

The Gardener said:
Has any one any experience of coneccting an SLR camera to their telescope for bird photography?

Hi and welcome to BF

It is certainly possible to connect an SLR to a telescope, however it is not always the most straight forward to things and doesn't always work too well. You can either attach the SLR directly to the scope (using an adapter in place of both the scopes eyepeice and the camera lens) or use it for 'traditional' digiscoping.

Let us knwo what scoep and camera you're using and I might be able to give details of the relevant adapters you would need.

You can get a step up or step down ring to attach to the filter thread on the camera lens and attach that with the appropriate adapter to the eyepiece of the scope. If you are using a small zoom such as the 18-55mm then need to set it to manual focus, probably better to use a prime 50mm.

Using photo adapters such as Postcard mentions which just make the scope a big telephoto lens are a complete waste of money and time, do not even think of going down that route.

postcardcv said:
Hi and welcome to BF

It is certainly possible to connect an SLR to a telescope, however it is not always the most straight forward to things and doesn't always work too well. You can either attach the SLR directly to the scope (using an adapter in place of both the scopes eyepeice and the camera lens) or use it for 'traditional' digiscoping.

Let us knwo what scoep and camera you're using and I might be able to give details of the relevant adapters you would need.

Thanks for your reply. I know that I need a T2mount and a photo adaptor. I am linking a Cannon 300D to a Kowa 823.
I am keen to know if you can get decent photos this way. I have struggled using a Nikon 995 attached to my scope.

The Gardener said:
Was it sucessful? or what where the problems?
I decided to buy a Sigma 50-500 lens, which is much more user freindly.My set-up is the 350D+23x e/p attached to an ES80 scope,which demands very good light and rigid support with a large helping of patience. I only use it when everything is near perfect for shooting. :brains:

The Gardener said:
Thanks for your reply. I know that I need a T2mount and a photo adaptor. I am linking a Cannon 300D to a Kowa 823.
I am keen to know if you can get decent photos this way. I have struggled using a Nikon 995 attached to my scope.

The Kowa adapter (can't think of the model number) is basically a tube that replaces both the lens and the eyepeice, though it does contain some optics. It retails for just over £150 (which compared to some manufactures is reasonably cheap!), a T-mount will set you back about £10.

The problem with such a set up is getting enough light to get fast shutter speeds, which are essential for most bird shots. You'll end up shooting at high ISO even in good light, just to get shutter speeds. Personally I have never been a big fan of this kind of set up (I've tried it with three different brands of scope, though not with a Kowa) and always found it very fiddly. That said it is certainly possible to get decent photos this way, it's just not as easy as using a long lens... but if you already have the scope it's a cheap way to get a 'long lens'.

Best bet is to find a shop that has the adapter in stock and go along with your scope and camera and try it for yourself. It's really the only way to see if you think it will be a good solution for you...

I have tried several times to use an SLR for digiscoping but was never happy with the results.I was using a T mount (for a Swar scope).The camera is very heavy to attach compared with a compact,and one cannot zoom the same as one can with a compact camera.The images were very dark,albeit clear,but the magnification was missing.I found that the 2x converter showed better pics than digiscoping using an SLR.But having said that,people do use these cameras for digiscoping with reasonable results.

The Gardener said:
Has any one any experience of coneccting an SLR camera to their telescope for bird photography?

I have tried it on a few occasions with a Kowa 663 and Canon 300D and 20D.
With the Kowa 823 and 30D best bet may be the Kowa TSN-DA1 adapter, Kowa 52mm adapter ring and Canon 50mm 1.8f, which I found worked best.
Main problems are light and focus. Generally you need to use a high ISO to get enough light to maintain a reasonable shutter speed. No auto focus, so focusing can be difficult, probably best result were using mirror lockup.
I was never happy with the results, which were very inconsistent, so never persevered, don’t do a great deal of digiscoping anyhow, prefer working with a TC, but when required I use a compact with scope.

I am currently testing a new set-up to see how useful it is. I have a Canon 20D with a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens attached to a Swarovski DCA which goes over the 20-60 zoom on my ATS80HD scope. This is able to be done because the 50mm f1.8 has a 52mm filter thread and this is supported by having a 52mm thread on the DCA. My initial impressions are that it is a little quirky and fiddly but I am assured that this type set-up is gaining in popularity in the USA, France and Italy.

This type of system is only available with the above lens because no other lens producer has one with a 52mm filter thread.

Chris Galvin Photo

The Gardener said:
Thank you all for your replies. I might think again and look at a 2x converter for my 70-3oo zoom

You will probably find out that you will NOT be able to use a 2 X adapter on a 70-300mm lens, it will not fit. Do NOT order one mail order, go to a retailer and see what I mean.

Chris Galvin Photo

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back