• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Straits of Gibraltar, wednesday 12 september (1 Viewer)

Spainbirds

Santi - Spainbirds
Hi,

No luck today with our main target. We missed the Black Shouldered Kite and perhaps because they haven't arrived yet into La Janda area. We spent the whole day in this vast area known as La Janda visiting some rice paddies, cotton fields, grasslands and wild olive trees "dehesas". We had some showers in the morning but far from the serious storms present today in South Spain. As I don't want to bother you too much I will just tell you the most interesting records following the order when they were seen.
The first couple of hours were really productive and in the rice paddies we had two Bluethroats, Little Tern, Glossy Ibis, Spoonbill, three Garganeys, plenty Yellow Wagtails (iberiae ssp.), Wood Sandpiper, a juvenile Purple Heron, Black-winged Stilts, lots of Marsh Harriers and a single female 2nd calendar year Hen Harrier.
Later on the cotton fields several Lesser Kestrels, a melanic Montagu's Harrier, groups of migrants Turtle Doves, a juvenile Night Heron next to the road and some Spanish Sparrows.
During lunch time a Rufuous Bush Robin heard in a wild olive trees plantation, but unfortunately it was not seen, several Woodchat Shrikes, a couple Spectacled Warbler, a male Commong Redstart, a Southern Grey Shrike, Booted and Short-toed Eagles flying overhead and a more than possible Steppe Buzzard (buteo buteo vulpinus). Near the end of the road a young Black Stork, more Woodchat Shrikes and a couple parties of migrants Bee-eaters.
Before comming back to our hotel we stop at the entrance of Zahara de los Atunes having a nice male Blue Rock Thrush.
Tomorrow we will visit the Los Alcornocales Natural Park, so we don't expect to see a lot of different birds but we will try for Bonelli's and Spanish Imperial Eagles which is being introduced in the region to compesate the damage to the environment made by the Los Barrios - Algeciras motorway. This was all for today!

Santiago Villa
www.spainbirds.com

Hi Santiago.

I'll be in La Janda this weekend. Do you have any detail on where you saw the bluethroats? I was filming one at Rio Guadalhorce in early March. I got a couple of nice stills with the digiscope, but when I used the camcorder I managed to make a complete mess of it and I hit the "record" button twice, meanong that when I thought I was recording great images, the camera was in "pause" mode.

I'd like a chance to put this mistake right.

Attachments

• Bluethroat 03 copy.jpg
    Bluethroat 03 copy.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 135
Santiago – regarding B-w Kite you could try around Los Naveros (due north of Vejer) and the farm tracks from the A393 that run SE towards Canterranas (sp??? the small village just before the turning down to Las Lomas on the Benalup-Vejer road. I’ve seen the species here in the summer (woods just NE of Canterranas are also very good for R-n Nightjar.

Alan – I’ve had Bluethroat in the ditch where the old concrete road gives way to nice smooth tarmac as you come in to La Janda from Benalup and at the first big sluice as you head across la Janda,

John

Santiago – regarding B-w Kite you could try around Los Naveros (due north of Vejer) and the farm tracks from the A393 that run SE towards Canterranas (sp??? the small village just before the turning down to Las Lomas on the Benalup-Vejer road. I’ve seen the species here in the summer (woods just NE of Canterranas are also very good for R-n Nightjar.

Alan – I’ve had Bluethroat in the ditch where the old concrete road gives way to nice smooth tarmac as you come in to La Janda from Benalup and at the first big sluice as you head across la Janda,

John

Thanks John. I know the place you mean. I looked along the road south from the farm when I was there in the spring, where the tarmac is all torn up and lumpy. I thought it looked blue-throaty, but no luck. I did have three penduline tits there though.

I had 7 black-winged kites along that same stretch of road and also along the main canal on 17th September two years ago, so it shouldn't be too early. Spanish Imperial Eagle (imm) at the farm the same day.

HI Alan,

I hope you see this message before travelling to La Janda... we had two birds in the first rice paddies on the left hand side after taking the sand track in front of the junction to Zahara de los Atunes. There is a small open flooded area next to the road, that was the place.
Good luck!
Santiago Villa
www.spainbirds.com

John

Hi John,

Thanks, I know the place... it seems the first Black Shouldered Kites at La Janda were seen a couple of days ago before dusk. Now I'm in Málaga and tomorrow off again to visit the Guadalhorce's mouth and El Torcal de Antequera. On monday I will back again to Tarifa area.

Santiago Villa
www.spainbirds.com

Hi John,

Thanks, I know the place... it seems the first Black Shouldered Kites at La Janda were seen a couple of days ago before dusk. Now I'm in Málaga and tomorrow off again to visit the Guadalhorce's mouth and El Torcal de Antequera. On monday I will back again to Tarifa area.

Santiago Villa
www.spainbirds.com

Hi Santiago.

Unfortunately I was away before I saw your message, so despite 3 or 4 attempts I missed out on bluethroat.

I saw black-shouldered kite twice, both times on the hedge-lined road that runs north towards the farm. The first one was in flight on 16th September and the light was against me, so I could not get detail. The second was an immature bird on 27th September that was seen hunting and later was perched on the irregator where I managed to get some video of it, but maddeningly when I tried to digiscope it with a frame-filling view, it flew off as I pressed the shutter and all I got was one frame of an empty irregator.

A birder I spoke to shortly afterwards said that two birds had been reported in the area, one adult and one immature, but from my sightings I could not be sure that I saw more than one bird on separate occasions.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back