• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gormless Goldfinch (1 Viewer)

Neil Grubb

This little guy (or girl!) started to visit the feeder last weekend. He may be deaf, or simply does not understand what an alarm call is. When the other assorted finches, tits, etc scatter from the feeder in response to a noise / movement / person, he always stays put, perhaps to take advantage of the thistle feeder. He can be there literally for an hour! Not perhaps the most streetwise (woodwise?) of finches, but certainly makes the photography easier when he stays put!!

I have been trying to get as many shots of different juvenile birds as I can over the summer, and plan to post a montage of these juveniles on my gallery page in the next day or so.

Attachments

• Goldfinch Juv.jpg
    Goldfinch Juv.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 113
Neil Grubb said:
This little guy (or girl!) started to visit the feeder last weekend. He may be deaf, or simply does not understand what an alarm call is. When the other assorted finches, tits, etc scatter from the feeder in response to a noise / movement / person, he always stays put, perhaps to take advantage of the thistle feeder. He can be there literally for an hour! Not perhaps the most streetwise (woodwise?) of finches, but certainly makes the photography easier when he stays put!!

I have been trying to get as many shots of different juvenile birds as I can over the summer, and plan to post a montage of these juveniles on my gallery page in the next day or so.

Our many Goldfinches rarely heed any alarm calls in yhe garden

rafiki said:
Our many Goldfinches rarely heed any alarm calls in yhe garden

I've found the same, and they also stay the longest on a feeder, with greenfinches also staying quite a while.

Earlier in the summer my wife and I managed to stand only 4or 5 feet away from a young blue tit on the peanut feeder. We stood there for ages until it eventually flew off.

Rob

We got one like that. Just starting to moult into adult plummage, had no tail all week then today I noticed the new one showing.
Sat there all alone munch, munch , munch.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back