• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steiner Commander 7x30 XP (1 Viewer)

plyscope

Andy J.
This one came today, ordered from Adorama. It is a marine type IF binocular so not suited to general birding however I expect some of you will be interested in it anyway. I intend to use it for marine use, I spend a lot of time at sea with my work.

It is a tough lightweight bino. Comes with a good quality soft case, not the hard wooden case supplied with the 7x50 Commander. It has a floating neck strap included as well as the standard type, easily swapped out by use of the click lock feature.

Using it briefly so far it is nice and comfortable to use. I like the soft winged eyecups and the eye relief is good for me without glasses. I've noticed some minor flaring but that may be just me getting used to the eye position. It is bright and sharp with a decent sweet spot. Good depth of field, a little better than the Vixen 7x50 Foresta. The field of view is slightly less than 7.5 degrees so not too bad, but not a wide angle bino.

Attachments

• IMG_0496 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0496 - Copy.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0483 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0483 - Copy.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0493 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0493 - Copy.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 419
Yes they do fit snugly and very comfortably. The ergonomics in general are excellent, I guess the Xtreme is the same in that way.

Even though the IF limits the usefulness of the bino there is something appealing about the simplicity and single mindedness of the binocular that I like. It does what it is designed to do very well with little concession to other purposes.

It is tempting to imagine this bino with centre focus, wider field of view and better edge correction being a great birding bino. Pleasant day dream.

Here are some more pictures, interesting size comparisons.

Attachments

• IMG_0481 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0481 - Copy.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_0487 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0487 - Copy.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0495 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0495 - Copy.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 340
Jan,
Yes I would like to try that one but it has only a 120 metre field of view. I am thinking of a 7x CF porro with more than 130 metre field (7.4 degree).

Andy

This one came today, ordered from Adorama. It is a marine type IF binocular so not suited to general birding however I expect some of you will be interested in it anyway. I intend to use it for marine use, I spend a lot of time at sea with my work.

It is a tough lightweight bino. Comes with a good quality soft case, not the hard wooden case supplied with the 7x50 Commander. It has a floating neck strap included as well as the standard type, easily swapped out by use of the click lock feature.

Using it briefly so far it is nice and comfortable to use. I like the soft winged eyecups and the eye relief is good for me without glasses. I've noticed some minor flaring but that may be just me getting used to the eye position. It is bright and sharp with a decent sweet spot. Good depth of field, a little better than the Vixen 7x50 Foresta. The field of view is slightly less than 7.5 degrees so not too bad, but not a wide angle bino.

Great bino!!!!! Thanks for ordering them.
Mike

Hi Mike

I am happy with the bino and with the service from Adorama.

As a matter of constructive criticism I would like to suggest that some of the technical details are incorrect as displayed on the website. This particular model is described as 8.1 degree field of view which is not correct. I guess your figures come straight from the manufacturer, but maybe they are conversions from another format that is incorrectly calculated?

I knew the correct figure (130/1000m or 7.4 degree) before I purchased the bino and wanted the bino anyway but others may feel they are being deceived.

I know the same figure for the Fujinon 10x50 is also incorrect on the website but in that case it is described as less than the true figure.

The Steiner Commander 7x30 is also described as having a wooden case included but this is only true for the 7x50 model. The 7x30 comes with a soft case which is actually more practical in my opinion, especially for the more compact and handy 7x30.

Hope this helps.

Andy J.

Last edited:
Last night I spent about half an hour directly comparing the Commander 7x30XP to a standard Navigator 7x50. I prefered the 7x30XP in every way.

I found it to be easier to handle and hold steady. Slightly wider field of view. Sharper star points. Better contrast and definition (less glare) viewing the nearly full moon through high cloud.

The winged eyecups are a definite advantage for me compared to the standard cylindrical eyecups.

The 7x50 will most likely still some advantage in really dark sky conditions and I will try to compare again when conditions are suitable. Also it may be the preferred choice when the binocular is for common use/not private use as the larger exit pupil can be more accomodating.

Andy,

What you say makes absolute sense, because the Navigator is made for use on every water except the sea and the XP is made for use on the ocean etc, so with better glass, coatings etc.
The 7x50XP will performe much better in twilight than the 7x30XP, but only on those conditions.
Jan

When purchasing the 7x30 XP I expected it to be better in daylight than a standard 7x50 due to the improved coatings and higher price. After using it now I am impressed by how well it does in low light and night time.

For sure the 7x50 XP must be better in twilight. There is a positive review of that one on Binomania.

Yesterday evening I sat outside on the bridge wing with the Navigator 7x50 and Commander 7x30 XP and watched as the sun went down and the moon rose up. My thoughts from the previous night were confirmed. Looking at distant ships on the horizon, the moon slowly rising and the stars slowly coming in to view, the smaller binocular was more enjoyable.

Later this week when the moon is rising later in the evening I hope to get some clear dark skies. Maybe then the 7x50 will have a chance to compete.

Attachments

• P1270124 - Copy.JPG
    P1270124 - Copy.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 701
Hi Mike

I am happy with the bino and with the service from Adorama.

As a matter of constructive criticism I would like to suggest that some of the technical details are incorrect as displayed on the website. This particular model is described as 8.1 degree field of view which is not correct. I guess your figures come straight from the manufacturer, but maybe they are conversions from another format that is incorrectly calculated?

I knew the correct figure (130/1000m or 7.4 degree) before I purchased the bino and wanted the bino anyway but others may feel they are being deceived.

I know the same figure for the Fujinon 10x50 is also incorrect on the website but in that case it is described as less than the true figure.

The Steiner Commander 7x30 is also described as having a wooden case included but this is only true for the 7x50 model. The 7x30 comes with a soft case which is actually more practical in my opinion, especially for the more compact and handy 7x30.

Hope this helps.

Andy J.

Hi Andy,

Sorry I will take here of the web-site, just got back into the office today.

Best
Mike

Good job Mike. :t:

After some more comparisons I can say that the 7x50 Navigator is brighter than the 7x30 XP but it takes dark moonless skies to see the difference.

I am impressed with how well the little 7x30 XP keeps up, the better coatings really boost the performance. The smaller exit pupil makes the view seem sharper and more contrasted and ultimately more pleasing.

It's true I may not be getting the full benifit of 7mm exit pupils with my eyes that a younger person with better eyes may have.

Bottom line is that I recommend the 7x30 XP as a good binocular for the price. It is sturdy, lightweight, well made, has great optics and is comfortable to use for extended periods. The included accessories, two different types of neck strap, soft case and objective caps/rainguard are all good quality.

It is not suited for short range viewing due to the individual focusing but for anything over 20 metres such as marine, astronomy, stadium sports, whale watching etc, it is very good.

Andy

The Commander is a strong cut above in field quality from the Navigator.
That's what you are paying for, the advanced eyepiece and the precison
it needs for its stretched-out assembly. Independent focus also makes it extremely
precise in being parallel to the objective at all times. That's really important
for keeping it flat and sharp to the edge. 7x30 is a great size for a precision-field binocular.

There is a 7x50 Commander. IT's about $1000.

Oddly enough, the 7x30 Commander isn't at bhphotovideo..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back