• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why 8x32 SE (1 Viewer)

Don't mean to steal the title of this thread, but I would change it to "Why not 8x32 SE". Horukuru lives in the notorious fungus belt for optics, which puts any binocular to a stern test. He finds his SE performing to his needs. That kind of testimony has real life experience behind it, the kind I feel has real credibility. As Pinewood points out, no binocular has universal application. The SEs simply possess superior optics regardless of prism glass types and coatings.

John

Thanks John and using SE binoculars in my place is quite easy. I treat it like my other lenses by keeping it inside the dry box with 45-55% humidity level and when I'm on tour with it as the backup binocular, I don't keep it inside the case etc.

Even with waterproof sport optics and lenses, fungus can grow on the surface of the glasses when kept inside the case especially black colour without drybox or silica gels.

So far mine is doing well and I considered it as a collector's item hehehe :king:

I compared the Nikon 8x32 SE 504xxx model I have to the Swaro 8x30 SLC neu using my charts and just looking around. Both of these could read the same lines on the charts, even the Zeiss style lens testing chart, it was a little easier to read with the 8x32 SE. Where I really noticed a difference was looking at my pine trees behind my place, there is quite a raise as you go back into the woods and the 8SE showed a much nicer 3D image, I felt like I was a bird flying over the area. As far as ER neither one of these is perfect for me W/O glasses. Although I did try unscrewing the eyepiece out on the Swaro and it did help, so Johnnie thanks for that. I will try some o-rings.
BTW Pileatus my 8SE is set +2 naked eye.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=312521&d=1299967006

Steve,

Did you use a booster when doing the resolution test? I know you have one or two.

The reason I asked is because I compared your SLCneu with my 8x32 SE (can't remember if it was the 505 or the 550 sample), and I thought just eyeballing it, that the SE looked "sharper," i.e., I could see more fine feather detail on the same bird. I had the SE mounted and put the SLC on top, doing the Michaels' trick mounted.

Not that the SLC was far behind, but the SE seemed sharper to my eyes. If the SLCneu does have the same resolution, then you got a good deal with the $800 anniversary special since last year, during the SE "going out of production price hike," the 8x SE sold for $799. As I've said and as others have said, it usually takes spending three or four times as much on a roof to get the same level of performance as the SE.

The SLCneu also has a very wide sweet spot, so you don't lose much in edge performance, and for a roof, the CA control was pretty good. But the "fatal flaw" for me was the "pinky focuser" on the objective side of the bridge. I never got used to that. Not thrilled with the SE's thin focuser wheel either, but at least it's easier to turn and get at with my index and middle finger. However, my head does get cold in the winter when I lift my hat to focus. ;)

<B>

You guys are the best. I really appreciate sharing your wealth of knowledge on the subject with me. No, I cannot try them before I buy them, but at $550 it's probably worth any potential gamble.

JG:

You know I like and have experience with the Nikons. The 8x32 SE
is a very good binocular, and that is well known.

I don't wear glasses and the eyecups are perfect for me as is.
I just put them up to my eyes, and enjoy the view.

Go for it, and tell us what you think.

Jerry

Brock you always bring up the fatal flaw of the focuser. :-O I didn't use a booster, it looked like it was going to rain, I did this outside. I just know I am never making a mistake by selling, trading my Nikon 8x32SE this time.

I don't think JG would have any trouble selling the 8SE if he bought it and didn't like it.:t:

Steve

Steve,

Did you use a booster when doing the resolution test? I know you have one or two.

The reason I asked is because I compared your SLCneu with my 8x32 SE (can't remember if it was the 505 or the 550 sample), and I thought just eyeballing it, that the SE looked "sharper," i.e., I could see more fine feather detail on the same bird. I had the SE mounted and put the SLC on top, doing the Michaels' trick mounted.

Not that the SLC was far behind, but the SE seemed sharper to my eyes. If the SLCneu does have the same resolution, then you got a good deal with the $800 anniversary special since last year, during the SE "going out of production price hike," the 8x SE sold for $799. As I've said and as others have said, it usually takes spending three or four times as much on a roof to get the same level of performance as the SE.

The SLCneu also has a very wide sweet spot, so you don't lose much in edge performance, and for a roof, the CA control was pretty good. But the "fatal flaw" for me was the "pinky focuser" on the objective side of the bridge. I never got used to that. Not thrilled with the SE's thin focuser wheel either, but at least it's easier to turn and get at with my index and middle finger. However, my head does get cold in the winter when I lift my hat to focus. ;)

<B>

Thanks John and using SE binoculars in my place is quite easy. I treat it like my other lenses by keeping it inside the dry box with 45-55% humidity level and when I'm on tour with it as the backup binocular, I don't keep it inside the case etc.

Even with waterproof sport optics and lenses, fungus can grow on the surface of the glasses when kept inside the case especially black colour without drybox or silica gels.

So far mine is doing well and I considered it as a collector's item hehehe :king:
Does it get wet, soaking wet during birding trips?

Brock you always bring up the fatal flaw of the focuser. :-O I didn't use a booster, it looked like it was going to rain, I did this outside. I just know I am never making a mistake by selling, trading my Nikon 8x32SE this time.

I don't think JG would have any trouble selling the 8SE if he bought it and didn't like it.:t:

Steve

You should try it again with the booster, you might get different results. I remember Steve C. doing a comparison on Optics Talk with the 8x32 EL WB, 8x30 SLCneu, and 8x30 CL. When he tested their resolution, they came out 1, 2 and 3 in that order.

I also compared the SE to the 8x32 EL (same year as yours, 2009), and it looked closer in resolution to the SE than the SLC, but like you, I was eyeballing it, so a boosted test would be better.

The "pinky focuser" is a "fatal flaw" for birding, particularly since like most Swaros, the focuser turns harder in one direction than the other, only slightly harder in your sample, but a bit harder than the 10x42 SLC-HD. Trying chasing warblers by focusing with my ringer finger was impossible.

But for hunting, which is what you use the bin for mainly, I can see the advantage of the focuser placement so you don't have to lift your winter hat to get at it. Some other hunter mentioned this either here or on Optics Talk. For birding, I preferred the 8x32 EL.

One thing I did like better with the SLC was the push and turn diopter. It doesn't get easier than that. Wish they kept that set up on the new SLCs.

Being a bargain hunter, you'd better hold on to your SE, because you are not likely to get one at the price you paid again.

I had three 8x32 SE samples, and although the image improved in each one due to more advanced coatings, I never got comfortable with the eyecups due to my deep set eyes and high bridged nose. I blame that on my great uncle, Charles De Gaulle. If my great uncle had been J. Edgar Hoover, like yours, I'd probably have "no problem" with the SE's eyecups.

Speaking of the devil... the film "Grace of Monaco" was on TV on Sunday. It focused on her marriage to Prince Rainier at the time De Gaulle wanted to force him to collect taxes (lots of rich people on Monaco, and they pad NO taxes). Since Nicole Kidman was in the lead role as Princess Grace, my expectations were low since I've never been impressed with her acting (perhaps because I can't stop staring at her legs), but she did a great job in the role, and the film was well written and depicted the events somewhat historically (with some creative license) and one goof. The map they used had St. Petersburg on it, at the time, the city was called Leningrad. But that aside, it was much better than I had expected. Hard for me though, to sympathize with the Prince Grace's cause - allowing rich Frenchmen to have an island tax shelter. Let them eat cake! ;)

<B>

Last edited:
Just 2 items here Brock and I am not trying to be a smart ass.

My wife is a casual birder at best but before I got her a Swarovski 8x30 CL Companion she used my 8x30 SCL when we went to Cape May. She never complained about the focuser and having to use her ring finger to turn it. She likes the Cl better because it is lighter and more compact. I have noticed that there is a minute "hesitation" in part of its focusing.

And I also have deep set eyes and a high bridged nose much like my disciple Tom Selleck who mimics my mustache except he uses black wax. I don't have any problems with the SEs eye cups. I simply brace them up and under my brow ridge at the proper distance and they work perfectly for me. Which supports my theory that there is more about eye cup design than meets the eye!

Bob

Just 2 items here Brock and I am not trying to be a smart ass.

My wife is a casual birder at best but before I got her a Swarovski 8x30 CL Companion she used my 8x30 SCL when we went to Cape May. She never complained about the focuser and having to use her ring finger to turn it. She likes the Cl better because it is lighter and more compact. I have noticed that there is a minute "hesitation" in part of its focusing.

And I also have deep set eyes and a high bridged nose much like my disciple Tom Selleck who mimics my mustache except he uses black wax. I don't have any problems with the SEs eye cups. I simply brace them up and under my brow ridge at the proper distance and they work perfectly for me. Which supports my theory that there is more about eye cup design than meets the eye!

Bob

Bob,

I would expect nothing else even from the missus. The day you don't follow my "PO-TAY-toe" with your "PA-TAH-toe" will be the day I win the Mega Millions, and I think you have an idea of what the odds of that are!

bRoCk

Does it get wet, soaking wet during birding trips?

Rarely because I don't go out when it is raining while on tours for safety reason. Let say it suddenly rain while walking back to the lodge, I just put on the eyecups cover.

I have put it on the rain for 30 minutes last time and so far no problem with it. :king:

These is my experience of using it from lowland rainforest up to the the highest mountain at Mt Kinabalu.

Last edited:
Question for those who wear eyeglasses. According to the measurements published by allbinos.com, the eye relief of the EII is 13.8mm vs the SE's 17.4mm. Normally 13.8mm is insufficient for most eyeglass wearers.

I'm assuming the SE has sufficient eye relief for eyeglass wearers. Has anyone here evaluated the SE for this?

How about for the EII? I read near universal praise for the EII but it would seem that it has a shortcoming which would affect many would be purchasers.

I have both. The eye-relief on the SE is definitely more generous than the EII. Whether either or both work for you depends on your glasses etc. For me, the SE is quite comfortable, whereas the EII works but is a bit on short side.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back