• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MINOX BD 8x24 BR or KAMAKURA 8x28 (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
Hi,
I need a small extra pair of bins. My normal pair is vortex vipers 8x42 and I also got a small pair of zeniths, but I dont like them.

I need better optics in a small binocular. A swedish birding-company recommended me either KAMAKURA FMC 8x28 WP or MINOX BD 8x24 BR. Both cost around 240 euro. (Kamakura 250 euro and Minox 200 euro). THe minox is smaller but the kamakura is waterproof. 8x28 might be bit big for me since I want this for my dogwalks and times when I dont have my vipers, but I believe it´s nice optics in them.

Has anyone tried both, or one of these, or got other better options in same price range?

Edit. Just realised how cheap the zeiss conquest 8x20 is. And looks small..

Last edited:
........................................................................................................................................................................ Edit. Just realised how cheap the zeiss conquest 8x20 is. And looks small..[/QUOTE said:
It is small, and very easy to use with it's single hinge. I got one recently at $100.00 off the new price. Optically it's not quite as good as my 8 x 20 double hinged Leica Trinovid but it's price and ergo's make up for it. Focus wheel is a bit stiff and it has focus past infinity of about 1 millimeter(!) so if that is important to you forget about buying it. It is bright and sharp and fits nicely into a shirt pocket. It s made in Hungary. I'd rather use it for birding than my Leica because I can set my IPD on it much quicker with it's single hinge. The Leica is great for concerts, etc.
Bob
PS: Kevin has gently corrected me in the post below. My binoculars are Zeiss Victorys-not Conquests which have the dreaded double hinges. My mistake is the result of sheer ignorance, not an uncommon event in my experience. Never the less, everything I have written about the (now correctly identified) single hinge Victorys is true and I stand by my review. And they were $50.00 cheaper than the Conquests shown below.

They look like this: http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-victory-8x20-b-t-binocular-leather-case

Last edited:
The Zeiss Victory 8x20 has the single hinge. The Zeiss Conquest 8x20 is double hinged.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-conquest-8x20-b-t-binocular-leather-case

Sorry about that!:eek!:
And to think I was just using it today,-- a miserable rainy day too. But most of my observations were from my American Legion Bar looking at the lake outside through a window. Saw a Yellow Warbler in the Apple Tree and Red-wing Blackbirds on the telephone wires along the lake among other birds that didn't know enough to come in out of the rain.

I think I'll let my above post alone except for a corrective caveat! I'm not going to trade them in on the Conquest!
Bob

Last edited:
Bob, so you are using the Victory? I concur it's a great compact.

I had mine out last Sunday and gave it to a friend with a Nikon Travellite V. His words were "Good God ....." when looking through it!

It is small, and very easy to use with it's single hinge. I got one recently at $100.00 off the new price. Optically it's not quite as good as my 8 x 20 double hinged Leica Trinovid but it's price and ergo's make up for it. Focus wheel is a bit stiff and it has focus past infinity of about 1 millimeter(!) so if that is important to you forget about buying it. It is bright and sharp and fits nicely into a shirt pocket. It s made in Hungary. I'd rather use it for birding than my Leica because I can set my IPD on it much quicker with it's single hinge. The Leica is great for concerts, etc.
Bob
PS: Kevin has gently corrected me in the post below. My binoculars are Zeiss Victorys-not Conquests which have the dreaded double hinges. My mistake is the result of sheer ignorance, not an uncommon event in my experience. Never the less, everything I have written about the (now correctly identified) single hinge Victorys is true and I stand by my review. And they were $50.00 cheaper than the Conquests shown below.

They look like this: http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-victory-8x20-b-t-binocular-leather-case

thanks for the reply. YOu actually found a pair of victorys cheaper then conquest? and is double hinge not a good thing?

The Conquest is lighter than the Victory.

is double hinge not a good thing?

It's more fiddly to set up with two things to asjust rather than one so for fast set up its less good. The reason I carry compacts ... "What's that" whips out bins and takes a look before it disappears.

The other side of the argument is the Conquests do fold into a smaller volume and they are rather lighter too.

Which side of the trade of works for you is of course a personal decision.

The Conquest is lighter than the Victory.

It's more fiddly to set up with two things to asjust rather than one so for fast set up its less good. The reason I carry compacts ... "What's that" whips out bins and takes a look before it disappears.

The other side of the argument is the Conquests do fold into a smaller volume and they are rather lighter too.

Which side of the trade of works for you is of course a personal decision.

ok, I see! And the optics in the Victory is a lot better? To forther complicate matters, I tried a pair of new leicas 8x20, and maybe I could buy a pair for £260. Is the leica superior to both these zeisses? Wish I had all 5 here to test ;)

thanks for the reply. YOu actually found a pair of victorys cheaper then conquest? ....................

I got them here: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=522035

The sale price when I bought them was $359.00+/- A real good deal!! You can't get that deal anymore. That was less than Eagle Optics Conquests I believe. (They throw in a leather case. Nice and classy, but what is it really worth?) The Victory at Cameraland was still $30.00 more than Cameraland's Conquests.

Bob

Last edited:
I got them here: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=522035

The sale price when I bought them was $359.00+/- A real good deal!! You can't get that deal anymore. That was less than Eagle Optics Conquests I believe. (They throw in a leather case. Nice and classy, but what is it really worth?) The Victory at Cameraland was still $30.00 more than Cameraland's Conquests.

Bob

Ok,
that´s a very nice price! Wish they still had it. The current price is too much for me though, I cant afford more then 260 euro or so. Has anyone tried the minox or kamakura?

Kistoffer - I haven't tried either the minox or kamakura, but can you get the Nikon 10x25 HG bino in Sweden? They are double hinged, but optically I find them better than any of the other high end stuff. John

Kistoffer - I haven't tried either the minox or kamakura, but can you get the Nikon 10x25 HG bino in Sweden? They are double hinged, but optically I find them better than any of the other high end stuff. John

yeah I can get em, it´s just that they cost twice as much unfortunately.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back