• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Three Choices for 10x (1 Viewer)

HoosierGuy

I guess I've narrowed down my choices for a 10x bino to these three -

1. Pentax 10x50 DCF SP

2. Nikon Monarch 10 X 42mm

3. Zen-Ray ZEN ED 10x43

Right now the only good pair of binos I have are the 8x42 Monarchs and I'm happy with them - wonderful view. Now I want a 10x bino.

I would be buying the Pentax and Zen-Ray over the net without trying them out first. I can run down to a store and try out the 10x Monarchs.

Looks like I can get the Monarchs for around $270.00 The Pentax for $320
Then the Zen-Ray Zen Ed's for around $360

I wear glasses. After using my brother’s cheap binoculars and having to close one eye and take off my glasses to use them, I'm really happy with my Monarchs and want that quality or higher.

Out of those three - what do you suggest? I assume the Monarch 10's will be as well built as my 8'x. Pentax and Nikon are well known brands. The Pentax has 22mm eye relief which sounds nice. But I read on this board about those Zen-Rays and how well everyone loves them.

Also, the Zen-Ray has ED glass? Is ED glass/lenses the top thing going right now?

Do those 10x Zen-rays really have a nice field of view?

Thanks!

I like my ZRS HDs better than the Monarchs I recently tried out at REI, and by all accounts, the Zed ED is better than the ZRS. I liked the Pentax SPs when I first tried them, but that wasn't the 10x50.

The ZEN ED outclasses the Monarch in every possible way. It has by far the widest field of view of the three and enough twilight functionality to satisfy all but the most extreme nocturnal binocular user.

At the risk of being further accused of blatant promotion, you will not best the ZEN ED very much (if any) even if you decide to top $1,500. That binocular will speak volumes on its own behalf when you get one up to your eyes.

Just review all of the ZEN ED threads on the forum. What can be said about them has been said in those threads.

A friend of mine has two pairs of Monarchs, an 8x and a 10x 42. After only one year of use, the 10 x has a loose focus wheel. Of course they have a ten year waranty.
The 8 x are still OK.

The way I look at it, Nikon is an expensive entry level binoculars, while ZEN ED is the least expensive high end optics. I have the 8x zen ed and very much like it. definitely go with the ZEN ED given those 3 options.

Were would the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 fall in compared to those three I listed? How would they hold up against my Nikon Monarchs 8x42's? The $169.99 price is tempting.

That price on the Diamondback is very probably for the original model which is being replaced by the newer model Diamondback just reaching the dealers. The Diamondbacks, I prefer to the Monarch. Vortex advertises a 7% increase in light transmission in the new model.

The Diamondback and Monarch are likely a bit of a step behind the Pentax, and all three are behind the ZEN ED.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back