• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeder hieght??? (1 Viewer)

erizzo

I want to put up tray feeder on a pole in my garden to maybe feed sparrow tipe birds or whatever comes (exept house sparrows). But I dont know how hiegh I should put it of the ground so that the birds feel comfterble to eat.
Could some one help me with this question

Thanx

Hi Erik- I'm a bit of a newcomer to this - but the pole I bought from the RSPB is 1.7 metres long - so I'm guessing that this is a decent size to aim for

My finch/ blackbird/ chickadee/ siskin etc feeder is about 5 ft off the ground with a squirrel baffel on the pole. I also spread a lot of millet seed on the ground (away from potential cat ambushes) for juncos, sparrows and other ground foragers. Feeders can be up in trees also, whatever you can reach to fill them.
Do you have squirrel problems in Chile?

Dont think you will find there is any set height for feeders, just a combination of what height is easy for you to put food on and best for the birds to avoid cats etc!!Also of course make sure its in a good spot so you get good views!

Stuart

Well you see that I want to feed sparrow time birds. And what Ive heard is that that kind of bird only feed to a surtin hieght. I'm brobably wrong so please axplain to me a bit more.
Well now that I think about it I have a feeder on a fence post nad it about 1.5m hiegh and the birds do come so I think I'll do that.

Kevin,
Here in such a beautiful country like Chile if we had squirrels it would mess it up. So we dont have any of those critters.

I'm sorry for you guys that have those pains in the neck but thay are still cute.

Thanx guys

My platform is about 1.5 m above the ground. I don't think that height matters especially but do find a lot of birds who mainly want to feed on the ground. I don't put feed on the ground because more than enough gets spilled from the other feeders to attract ground feeders.

Thanks dan I think I'll do that 1,5 m sounds good
I'll keep you all informed if it all works as pland.

Thanx all

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back