• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax XW14 available (1 Viewer)

eitanaltman

Hey fellow Pentax-ers....

I have a mint XW14 for sale if anyone is interested. I'm going to put it up on Astromart soon but figured I would let my brethren here take first crack ;)

EP is in perfect condition with original box, plastic "bolt case", etc. The only thing missing is the original eyepiece cap which has been replaced with an aftermarket cap.

The only reason I'm selling is that I've got a baby on the way, so I'm doing the "spring cleaning" and getting rid of stuff I don't use that often. Most of the time I've got my WO Zoom II on the scope so the XW14 gets very little use.

PM me if interested! Thanks!

Attachments

• pentax_xw14.jpg
    pentax_xw14.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
You might want to consider keeping that until after you try it on the Celestron Regal. The XW20 had an issue with the prism blocking part of the field of view but the XW14 may not. Just something to think about.

;)

On the other hand, as a father first and an opticsnut second I can understand the need to part with a few choice "pieces" in order to address the more important things in life. The two "little monsters" sleeping next to me at the moment can attest to that.

:)

You might want to consider keeping that until after you try it on the Celestron Regal. The XW20 had an issue with the prism blocking part of the field of view but the XW14 may not. Just something to think about.

;)

On the other hand, as a father first and an opticsnut second I can understand the need to part with a few choice "pieces" in order to address the more important things in life. The two "little monsters" sleeping next to me at the moment can attest to that.

:)

As someone who lives outside any optic seller in a range of.... countries of distance... I need to buy everything on internet. And those two, the pentaxes and the regals always make me scratch my head.
It is always the same brainstorm to know if the eye piece will match the scope... it is like playing lego, but at distance. =(

I wish there was some kind of a big reference list. What works and what do not.

The more I brainstorm about those two... the more the skywatchers looks interesting.

Ivan,

The eyepiece "works" with the scope in this case...in just about every sense...reaching focus at all distances and just the connectivity side of things. The only issue, in the case with the XW20 and the Regal scopes, was that a porton of the field of view (about 10%) was cut off because of the prism edge.

Ivan,

The eyepiece "works" with the scope in this case...in just about every sense...reaching focus at all distances and just the connectivity side of things. The only issue, in the case with the XW20 and the Regal scopes, was that a porton of the field of view (about 10%) was cut off because of the prism edge.

But a 10% obstruction is enough for me to look for another eyepiece instead of the XW...

Last edited:
it's probably just the wide 70-degree FOV combined with the relatively low magnification at 20mm. I bet the XW14 wouldn't have that problem.

it would be nice though if there was some "master list" of eyepieces that worked....

it's probably just the wide 70-degree FOV combined with the relatively low magnification at 20mm. I bet the XW14 wouldn't have that problem.

it would be nice though if there was some "master list" of eyepieces that worked....

There is...somewhat. Do a little digging with the search function. I tried about a dozen eyepieces in the Regal 65 and 80 in my original thread on the scope. They are listed there on one of the pages. One forum member suggested that 55-60 degrees may be the maximum amount you could get away with on a low powered eyepiece. I do remember reading on one of the posts that someone was using a Baader 17 mm successfully with the Regal so maybe the higher magnification design of the eyepiece eliminated the problem to some extent.

If you do go that route then be sure to post your findings. Others will be interested.

I have not specifically looked for an XW14 eyepiece but I am questioning the availability issue of XW eyepieces in general. I have seen them advertised and in stock at places such as B&H Photo, Adorama and CLNY. In addition, and if you don't mind a "used" eyepiece, I would suggest watching astromart. I have seen several XW eyepieces appear in the classified ads in recent weeks. They don't lose much of their value in the used market but they are marginally less expensive than new.

Hope this helps a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back