• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aftermarket compact cases for 8x32 and 10x42 binicukars (1 Viewer)

Rathaus

Aftermarket compact cases for 8x32 and 10x42 biniculars

So many oversized baggy cases.

Not the most exciting topic, but does anybody have recommendations regarding a lightly/moderately padded ultra compact case for 32 and 42 size roof bins? I'm thinking utilitarian, not necessarily pretty. Compactness is the main priority.

An example would be to replace the Swarovski 8.5x42 SV case with something 2/3 the size which will still snugly protect the same binocular...like the Noctivid case does.
The little Nikon monarch 8x30 case (though cheap and somewhat nasty) is an outstanding fit for the much larger Swarovski 8x32 el.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Rathaus

Last edited:
I use Vortex cases for our 42mm and 50mm EL's. Smaller footprint than the Swaro cases, and although very inexpensive, are constructed very well and have perfectly adequate padding. Seem to be the same as the cases that came with our Zeiss Conquest HD and Victory FL's.

For our 32mm EL's I use cases from Cabela's. Obviously there won't be a store near you, but you might look at them on their website and see if you can find the same model in your country. The cases come from Asia, so I'm sure that they can be found in other parts of the world.

I used the Vortex 32mm neoprene case for the SV 8x32 http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog%5Bname%5D=Vortex-Soft-Sided-Viper-Binocular-Case---32mm-%23VPR-CASE32-Bags-and-Cases&catalog%5Bproduct_guids%5D%5B0%5D=1251503

The SV 8x32 is slightly taller for a 32 mm bin and the case is a close fit height wise. The eyepiece/top of bin is visible from the sides with the case closed as the cutout angles down on both sides. The case is lightly padded and has a zippered pouch inside on top for lens cleaning stuff. It comes with a shoulder strap. I like it as the case lets the binocular straps of out on both sides as well. It makes it doubly safe to hold both straps. There is enough padding without making it bulky. There are two loops at back for wearing on belt.

The only issue I see is in the front the padding stops exactly where the SV 8x32 focus ring starts. There is a fear the binocular might fall out if the bag is open. It hasn't happened even after opening the bag and shaking it all manner of ways by holding the flip open top.

Do you prefer a neoprone or real leather case?

For my current use I'd prefer a synthetic case - compact, protective and utilitarian. Doesn't need to be pretty. Neoprene is an option.

I've been searching the suggestions so far, cheers all.

Rathaus

One more thing - often I like to use binoculars with no strap and no objective covers or rain guard - naked binoculars for quick deployment from their case in a small backpack. I would use this system when travelling light or rock-hopping and scrambling etc. The case I am after would ideally suit this purpose and still enclose the binocular fully.

A member has just alerted me to the Zeiss conquest cases. They look good.

@rathaus:

Yes, I think that the standard noctivid case is excellent, but if you have little space, the opticron case is better, but you have to close the oculars shell down.

Thanks to all for the feedback. By coincidence, I went through some camping equipment in the garage and found a small pouch called the Tasmanian Tiger TAC Pouch 5. I've had it for a couple of years but only used it for storing some first aid equipment and some other small items.

Anyway, it just happens to fit the 8.5x42 SV perfectly. It's a very snug fit and all lens caps and covers need to come off. It's far smaller than the standard case. Here are a few pics for comparison. The SV are inside the TAC 5 pouch for each photo.

Attachments

• IMG_3371.jpg
    IMG_3371.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3372.jpg
    IMG_3372.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3377.jpg
    IMG_3377.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3379.jpg
    IMG_3379.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3383.jpg
    IMG_3383.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I received my Leica Swazi beret (made by your Kiwi neighbors). It's basically like a beret you wrap around the camera, held around your waist with an elastic band, so it's more about rapid access to binoculars than full protection against the elements.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back