• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding binoculars upgrade (8x42) in the $400-$700 range (1 Viewer)

pnw_hiker

Good evening, all. I have lurked here for a while before joining to post this. I am looking for some 8x power lenses. Sorry, long post...

I have been bird-watching for a few years now, starting out with a Pentax roof-prism pair of binoculars. Recently, using my girlfriends pair, I noted I could see a lot better out of hers. Apparently, my pupil spacing is too narrow for my current set and cannot see out of them correctly... I was not turning up the eye cups on mine! (I cannot, or it blacks out the image) So I am using this as a good reason to upgrade!

1. IPD/Interpupillary Distance needs to be able to go down to 57mm. I have noted many models list a 58,59 minimum for this, ruling them out.

2. I live along the Puget Sound; a lot of the year sees some rain and more importantly can be very grey/overcast. Being so far north, there is not much light a lot of the year. Low light/good contrast is something I am looking for. Also, waterproof.

3. I am in my late 20's. Decent shape, take them hiking usually, as well as along the coast looking at seals/porpoises. My pair now is 32oz, and this has never been a huge issue. I am looking at roof prisms, and will appreciate a lighter model, but weight is rather low on my priority list.

4. Hers have a Field of View of 410+ feet; I really like this! How should I be balancing FOV with everything else, like poor light performance?

Some binoculars I have found off a list for narrow pupil are the Minox BL 8x44 HD[/URL]. It looks like they have been re-designed since the review was written, though?
http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Minox8x44BLHD-135.htm
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259077-REG/minox_62235_8x44_bl_hd_binocular.html

Another binocular, on sale at the high end of my range, is the Opticron 8x42 DBA VGH. 366' FOV,

Something else I found was the Kowa 8x42 BD42-8XD. Decent FOV, good at close focusing, down to 5'.

I would love any thoughts or recommendations on something else I should consider!

Thanks, Bill

Bill ..... Welcome to the Forum!

Some quick questions:

- Do you wear eye glasses when viewing with binoculars?

- What is the maximum amount of money you are considering to spend on a new binocular?

- What is the model your girl friend has that works for you?

- Are you willing to purchase off the internet?

- Does it have to be a 42 mm model or would you consider an 8X32?

I just posted some coments on the new GPO 8X42 ED and I measured the minimum IPD of 55 mm.

Zeiss has a reputation for more narrow IPD measurements but unfortuneately that is not the case for their 42mm Terra model which is spec'd at 58 - 75.5 for the new version that came out this year. The prior version in the 8X42 measures approximately 58 mm so no luck there. The Vanguard Endeavor EDII also measures approximately 58 mm.

Here is a link to the GPO post.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=348225

As far as FOV and brightness, personal preference comes into play.

I would look for a light transmission no less than approximately 87%. It is not uncommon now to find models spec'd at 90% and higher. There are other factors that influence apparent brightness such as color balance. Also a larger exit pupil will let in more light in very low light conditions. The exit pupil diameter of an 8X42 is 5.25 mm and it is 4 mm for an 8X32.

The minimum FOV that I think is acceptable in an 8 power is about 375 ft at 1,000 yards. Personally, I now look for about 410 ft but hopefully more.

Thank you Bruce.

-I do not wear glasses.
-$700 is my ceiling.
-Bushnell Excusion 8x42; now discontinued. Neither of us have ever had binoculars nicer. Looking through them, I cannot easily notice all of the things like CA and softening at the edge... which makes me wonder if I will notice/appreciate spending a lot on binoculars to make it worth it?
-I am willing to buy online. I tried the Nikon Monarch 7 in store, and it was good. Much better than what I have! I believe the IPD was good. Just seeing if there are better options.

I feel like most of the highly rated binoculars in my price range are in the $400 range, while you need to jump up to $1000 to get something people next recommend. Does this feel like a true statement?

Thanks!

Quick edit: we do not use a scope, something we have talked about getting down the line (waterfowl). This would be my primary pair of binoculars.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend that you investigate the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. If I had to pick a bino using your set of specifications, that would be the one. They are extremely sharp, amazingly bright, have a very smooth focus wheel, handle brilliantly, and perhaps best of all for a hiker, have a small footprint and only weigh about 15-16 ounces. IPD goes down to 56mm, so should work for you. FOV easily meets your needs too.

Order one from a place that will let you send them back if you don't like it. Opticsplanet will even pay for return shipping. They often have 10% off coupons too. If you order one, I doubt you will send it back.....

In the 8x42 range there are myriad excellent options. Some of the most popular around or under $400 might be Zeiss Terra, Nikon Monarch 7, and Vanguard Endeavor EDII. Going up in price there is a jump to about $900 where thr Zeiss Conquest HD is deservedly the most popular in that class. If it could be found on sale in your price range it would be a no brainer decision IMO. Most interesting, however are new entrants that purportedly play at the Conquest "near alpha" level but price closer to $700. The most recent darling is the Tract Toric, which I haven't looked through, and there are others.

Thank you for all of the quick responses!

I see 8x30 binoculars before recommended a lot; is that something I should seriously consider? As I need before, weight isn't something I am too concerned about, and low light levels and cloudy skies are a constant here.

I did like the Monarch 7s, so that might be what I end up getting! I'm not in too much of a hurry, do might wait a couple of months and try to try out some other binoculars and see if the Zeiss Connect goes on sale.

If you don't mind weight and want low light performance an 8x42 is the more obvious choice.

I am sure some of the Tract fans will weigh in, don't know if they have a trial period / free returns, or if some of the other Conquest competitors that clock in at $600-800 do.

Hi,

yes, 8x30/2 will work just fine during daylight even in gray weather... the exit pupil is still 4mm or so and your eye pupil will be smaller.

You will loose 10 minutes or 15 of observing time at dawn or dusk.

Also 8x30 usually have a wider fov, so your 400 feet limit is easier to reach. If you can get a pair of Conquest HD 8x32 on sale or used within you limit, you can't go wrong. The same goes for a Nikon HGL / LX 8x32.

The Monarch 7 8x30 is not bad for the price 250€ over here - very light and small - some problems with glare and reflections in difficult light, though.

Joachim

I have 2 of the older style Minox BL HD series binoculars...the 8 x 33 and the 8 x 52.....also have the redesigned BL 10x44 HD.....They are all very nice bins...all they did with the redesign was fancy up the rubber armor design......look around on E-Bay and other internet sellers for some very good deals.....

Last edited:
So, I have a pair of porro-prisms currently, and like them. I have read the older threads on here, and it looks like companies only make roof prisms now?

I found these two that this forum seems to talk about a lot: Nikon 8x32 E2 and Swarovski Habicht

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000HOJGS6/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWAROVSKI-Binoculars-Habicht-8x30-W-Waterproof-NEW-in-box-/350656952702

The only thing that worries me about the Nikon is not being water-proof. But at under $500 it is in my price range. The Habicht model is just out of it, but I am comfortable waiting and saving up a bit for it,

So, I have a pair of porro-prisms currently, and like them. I have read the older threads on here, and it looks like companies only make roof prisms now?

I found these two that this forum seems to talk about a lot: Nikon 8x32 E2 and Swarovski Habicht

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000HOJGS6/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWAROVSKI-Binoculars-Habicht-8x30-W-Waterproof-NEW-in-box-/350656952702

The only thing that worries me about the Nikon is not being water-proof. But at under $500 it is in my price range. The Habicht model is just out of it, but I am comfortable waiting and saving up a bit for it,
The Habicht 8x30 W suffers from really bad veiling glare and the overly stiff focus tension can make it tough to use for birding. I sold mine for those reasons. I think the Zeiss Conquest 8x42 HD would be a better all around binocular for birding especially if you want something waterproof.

Hi,

the E2 will certainly give views which are usually reserved for bins outside your price range plus has the widest field of view of the bins currently on sale.
If you have a porro pair, most probably not waterproof, you should know how often it was fogged up and unusable - probably not that often unless you live in tropical rainforest.

The Habicht has the highest measured transmission and is also very sharp, but has its disadvantages too - most important a very stiff focuser (due to waterproofing) which might make you miss birds and a pretty pronounced problem with glare and reflections in head on light.

I think the E2 is a better all around bin and mine is used very frequently.

Another porro option would be a used pair of SE 8x32 - when available they usually go around $600, once again not waterproof but it will give the alphas a good fight...

Joachim

The Nikon E2 is definitely a better choice than a Habicht if you like Porro's but I notice their price is now around $550.00 on Ebay. The E2 is not waterproof or dustproof , whereas, the Zeiss Conquest 8x42 HD is and the Zeiss is a 42mm which has advantages especially in low light and it will have an easier view with it's bigger exit pupil. For another $150.00 dollars I would be inclined to buy the Zeiss. I think it would be a more versatile binocular and with it's fast focus speed would be excellent for birding and insects at varying distances. The Nikon SE is no doubt a good porro binocular but again not waterproof and it is getting hard to find and not as good as an all-around birding binocular as the Conquest. I would think living in Puget Sound you would want a waterproof binocular.

Last edited:

pnw_hiker,

You are in luck, I live in West Seattle and own the following bins:
Nikon SE 8x32, Nikon E2 8x30, Nikon M7 8x30, Swarovski Habicht 8x30, Cabelas Guide Series 8x32, and Sightron BSII 8x32.

You are welcome to look though any and all of them at my local park if you are interested send me a PM and we can work out the details. I also own a few 10x bins as well but I think you are better off with the 8x.

I will tell you this, the bin I use almost exclusively now is the Habicht as it is the best for my needs. Don't let the internet decide for you, I suggest tying things out for yourself even if that means ordering and returning a bunch of bins.
You need to find out what works for you :t:

That's a great offer and the best way to decide what you like. Make sure you try the Habicht 8x30 W by looking up at steep angles on a sunny day. I liked mine too until I used them in those situations and it exposed their weaknesses. I was looking at mountain goats in Rocky Mountain National Park on rocky ledges above me and the view totally washed out and I couldn't see ANYTHING. I got my Canon 10x42 IS-L's out and I had no problems with glare at all. Be cautious of the Habicht's. Henry Link has pointed out the optical problems with the Habicht's extensively. I sold mine the next day. Just relaying my experiences. Your's may differ.

Last edited:
Hi,

that is indeed a brilliant offer by BigWok which the o.p. should really take advantage of - the connoisseur porros plus some BF favorite cheap roofs - sounds really interesting - please let us know what you like best, pnw_hiker!

Thanks to BigWok for the offer!

Joachim

Tract Toric 8x42. They are running a good sale on them right now. $75 off the bundle. You will not beat them for the money. I have the 10x42 and they will be the last 10x binos I will ever own.

Check out the other threads about them. Not only is the product great but the company employees and owners seem to have good integrity and stand by their products.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back