• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Atlas Optics Radian or Hawke Endurance ED (1 Viewer)

johnrh

first post here and am trying to learn all I can. I would like to get a new pair of binos to upgrade from a 30 yr old Sears pair of 7x35 that have bit the dust. I haven't been in the hobby for quite some time and want to be able to do some birding, butterfly and insect observing. I've researched for awhile now and thought maybe one of these two would fit my needs but are open to experiences & suggestions. I'm interested in the 8x42 size.

hi ceasar and thank you! well I do wear glasses for an astigmatism but when I use my camera I don't wear them because I find that I can focus better. my budget will probably be right around $200.

hi ceasar and thank you! well I do wear glasses for an astigmatism but when I use my camera I don't wear them because I find that I can focus better. my budget will probably be right around $200.

Hi again John!

I was fooling around trying to change my original response to you and ended up having to delete it so I am going to take this opportunity to welcome you to Bird Forum once more!

Both of the binoculars you inquired about probably could meet your needs and budget. I have never had the opportunity to try either of them but some here may have had that experience.

Eagle Optics sells the Atlas Radians and they have received 96 5 star reviews of the 8x42 version. It seems to be a very popular inexpensive binocular. It costs $129.99. Its eye relief is a relatively long 17.5 mm.

You can read the reviews about it in the link below:

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collections/binoculars/products/atlas-optics-radian-8x42-binocular

You can order one from Eagle Optics and try it out for 30 days and return it if you don't like it. Ask them about their return policy if you are interested in doing this. It is always a good idea to try out a binocular before you buy one; particularly binoculars in your price range.

The Hawke Endurance 8x42 ED costs $100.00 more than the Radian if ordered directly from Hawke Optics. It's specifications are very close to those of the Radian but it uses more expensive ED glass which Atlas binoculars do not note using.

http://us.hawkeoptics.com/endurance-8x42-binocular-black.html

Bob

PS: They both have approximately the same close focus of about 6.5 feet so they both will be about equal in observing insects.

Last edited:
hi again and thanks! I think I'm going to order the Atlas Radians because of the return policy and their reputation. hey Bob where are you in NE Pa.? my wife and I lived in Cranesville and then West Springfield when we first were married......yikes that was in 1974!

hi again and thanks! I think I'm going to order the Atlas Radians because of the return policy and their reputation. hey Bob where are you in NE Pa.? my wife and I lived in Cranesville and then West Springfield when we first were married......yikes that was in 1974!

I live in the western reaches of the Pocono Plateau not far from the junction of Interstates 80 and 81 near Wilkes Barre. Are you still in the Erie area? Birding is good around there.

Bob

I live in the western reaches of the Pocono Plateau not far from the junction of Interstates 80 and 81 near Wilkes Barre. Are you still in the Erie area? Birding is good around there.

Bob

no, we moved out of Pa. to Chicago in '85. we now live in Allen, Tx which is about 25 mi. north of Dallas. I do see a few people birding at one of our local parks that has a small lake. I was walking there one early morning and came across a pure white squirrel with a 2 inch patch of black between its eyes. I wish I had had my camera with me. we never got out that far east in Pa. where you are but did a lot of camping in the Allegheny National Forest.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back