• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Complete families of birds seen (1 Viewer)

Phil Hill

Probably one for the big world listers this. What is the largest complete family of birds you have seen or indeed how close are you to completing a set.

Most birders have seen Osprey for example which is in a family of its own, lots of people have probably seen all the Divers, Chris Gooddie went to see all the Pittas in one year but there are lots of families out there with much larger numbers.

Will be very interested in your answers.

As stated at the top, divers are not a big family, but I, along with quite a few others I would image, did manage to bag them all this year and in the UK too. Not a feat that is likely to be repeated too often.

As stated at the top, divers are not a big family, but I, along with quite a few others I would image, did manage to bag them all this year and in the UK too. Not a feat that is likely to be repeated too often.

I think with the new awareness of the ID features of Pacific Diver, this scenario could now be achieved almost annually?

Must get off my 'arris' and go for a Pacific Diver this winter somewhere

A

Anatidae must be do'able and that's a decent sized list ditto Accipitridae, Falconidae and Cuckoos?

Anyone got all the Laughingthrushes?

A

Last edited:
Tetrakas perhaps. Especially that they are all conveniently in just one country.

Larger families which might be doable include: Herons, Storks, Ibises-Spoonbills, Bustards, Gulls-Terns, Auks, Drongos, Tits, Wagtails-Pipits and Longspurs.

Last edited:
Cranes and storks are targets for me. Missing 2 cranes (blue and black-crowned) and one stork (Abdim's).[/QUOTE

Surely its Black Crowned isn't it? Bird black, not crown?

Good luck with it, anyway.

John

Yeah, knew it when I wrote it, but didn't go back to fix it. Now fixed.

And for the record, I've got all the loons (including 4 of 5 in PA - missing arctic), all the pelicans, and 4 or 5 todies (missing Cuban, of course). Freakin' Republicans.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back