• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brambling Flock?? (1 Viewer)

puffinboy

Walking near Dallington Forest in East Sussex today and came across a large (40+) flock of presumed Brambling (first time for me)

I couldn't really get close but the main features were light underbody, buff/orange breast and forked tail

I was wondering if this and the following behaviour is diagnostic for brambling...?

Flock was quite skittish and very noisy - constant finch like calls - but when I got a little closer the chatter would stop and more often than not would send most of the flock to the air - wheeling left and right but eventually settling at the same place more or less...

All I had was a pair of 8x21 and a Canon A40 - and managed to get this shot - not much good really...

Any thoughts much appreciated... Ta Tom

Attachments

• 100-0031_IMG_50.JPG
    100-0031_IMG_50.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 299
I can't say for certain Tom, but I've brightened the image a little and some of the birds certainly look orange enough for Brambling.

Chris

Brambling

puffinboy said:
Walking near Dallington Forest in East Sussex today and came across a large (40+) flock of presumed Brambling (first time for me)

I couldn't really get close but the main features were light underbody, buff/orange breast and forked tail

I was wondering if this and the following behaviour is diagnostic for brambling...?

Flock was quite skittish and very noisy - constant finch like calls - but when I got a little closer the chatter would stop and more often than not would send most of the flock to the air - wheeling left and right but eventually settling at the same place more or less...

All I had was a pair of 8x21 and a Canon A40 - and managed to get this shot - not much good really...

Any thoughts much appreciated... Ta Tom

Hi Tom, you was lucky to see that many, we've had this one in the garden since Feb 1st. I have not had chance to get a really good image because of the back lighting first in the mornings when it comes to feed.

Roy.

Attachments

• DSCN3781 Bramling -  feb 1.04.jpg
    DSCN3781 Bramling - feb 1.04.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 236
Brambling Flock Again

Thought I would revisit the same area today - and sure enough there they were. The light was also much better. The flock has a mixture of Brambling, Greenfinch and Chaffinch (and possibly others?)

What struck me this this was how white the breast of a Brambling is - this and the contrast between the white and the orange of the upper breast...

I think a major attracter in the area is a field full of old sunflowers - as I approached a huge flock of Woodpigeon (30+) first rose followed by another mixed flock of house sparrows and the finches...

I took quite a few 'DigiBino' (!) pictures - not of any quality but you can see what they are - just!

I have attached a best-of montage of this afternoons pics

PS - In the bottom left of the pic there is a finch - pretty sure not a Brambling - any ideas? Chaffinch? - interesting pale stripe through the breast....

Cheers Tom

Attachments

• Bramblings_Montage.jpg
    Bramblings_Montage.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 280
Hi Puffinboy

They`re certainly Brambling one of the key ID points to look for is the striking white rump,the only other british finch sharing this feature is the Bullfinch.It should not be long before the male Bramblings start to moult into summer plummage & they look stunning.Not sure what the other bird in your photo is though.
Regards Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back