• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID (1 Viewer)

Motmot

Eduardo Amengual
Hi,
This bird was trapped last November in Majorca. What do you think it is?
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• FotoDrag1.jpg
    FotoDrag1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 261
  • FotoDrag2.jpg
    FotoDrag2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 238
Seems to have buff super at front, quite a strong yellowish tone to the underparts, is that undertail apricotish?
Legs also look very pale. Bill also looks short and stubby so I'd go for an "odd" Radde's Warbler.
Was it ID'd by biometrics??

JP

They are so easy in the field and so hard in pics, especially in the hand! Biometrics don't help - apart from bill/leg measurements...

If I had to take a punt - it would be on Dusky.... though the bill does look the wrong shape....

It was ringed as a 1st winter Radde's Warbler (Phylloscopus schwarzi) and if accepted will be third for Spain. I put the pics on BF to see if it is poss. to be sure of its ID only with these photos. Biometrics were OK for Radde's. I have two more pics here.

Attachments

• FotoDrag 3.jpg
    FotoDrag 3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 196
  • FotoDrag4.jpg
    FotoDrag4.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 186
sorry, got to this a bit late......

As JP pointed out the overall colour and apricot/ochraceous wash and especially the supercilium pattern and undertail indicate Raddes. Dusky doesn't show any of those greenish tones visible on this bird. Leg colour and structure also support Radde's

Dusky ought to be a browner 'colder' bird with a clearer super, especially in front of the eye, and paler underparts etc...

I think the in hand pix actually make it more difficult than it might be in the field...especially if it was calling

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back